Quantcast
possible majority government - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: possible majority government

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Default possible majority government

I don't have a link, but its all over the news....looks like the conservative are close to forming a majority government.

the most suprizing news is the amount of Quebec support that the conservatives have.

Anyway, Ontario had better think twice about voting liberal,
    the west and Quebec are voting conservative.

Can you imagine a majority government that didn't rely on Ontario's vote? that would be poetic justice, don't you think?

My Ride
    Bicycle

OWNED

But I don't trust polls.

May be this is the poll you mentioned?

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/inde...m/itemID/10579

My Ride
    2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2 V6

I think it is possible...on Global News last night they had suggested that he could possible get between 152-153 seats....hopefully he can obtain the full 155....and then we could all say GOOD-BYE PAUL

My Ride
    GTI

how is that close to a majority?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Don't get too happy yet, Nationally, Harper is winning. In Ontario, Liberals are still edging Conservative. The seats are all there, all would've been a lost cause if Harper don't gain anything in Ontario.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Hakkola
    how is that close to a majority?
    Majority = > 50% of seats available so the party can pass anything they want without any opposition or back room deals with other parties.

Paul Martin's Liberals only as 135 seats (44%) but has most seats, so it's a minority government.

So the fact is Liberals will lose seats. If PC can captialize on it and gain 50+ seats, they have the majority. Gain 35-50 would net them a minority.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-19-2006 at 12:49 AM.

My Ride
    GTI

You think Conservatives are going to make another 10% gain in the next few days? 10% is a HUGE difference. I'm going to guess that around 10 million people will vote, give or take a few million. Assuming the polls are close to reality for that extra 10% 1 million voters will have to change their minds.

Yeah, I don't think so.

However it has been years since I've studied the electoral process, so tell me, is it possible to get 50% of the seats without obtaining 50% of the vote? I guess in races if the seats won are close, and if the seats lost had the conservatives get utterly blown out, it would be possible to get a majority gov't with fewer than 50% of the votes, and with minimal conservative voting in Ontario then who knows, but I still can't see that happening.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 01-19-2006 at 12:35 AM.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

This is good news.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    Bicycle

You think Conservatives are going to make another 10% gain in the next few days? 10% is a HUGE difference. I'm going to guess that around 10 million people will vote, give or take a few million. Assuming the polls are close to reality for that extra 10% 1 million voters will have to change their minds.

Yeah, I don't think so.
    I think you have mistaken. 40% is his popularity in a random poll. In theory, you can have 100% of the seats even with a popularity of 40% in ridings with 3 or more contenders (a 40/30/30 split).

All PC has to do is win riding. Each seats won would add 0.003%, and 155 seats would be 50.3%. So they can do it without another 10% on popularity polls.

So the possibility is there, another new report also show that Liberals stronghold on Ontario is limited to immediate GTA area. PC may gain more seats there beyond their current 25 seats.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-19-2006 at 12:44 AM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 11-04-2020 at 03:26 PM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Yeah, I don't think so.

However it has been years since I've studied the electoral process, so tell me, is it possible to get 50% of the seats without obtaining 50% of the vote? I guess in races if the seats won are close, and if the seats lost had the conservatives get utterly blown out, it would be possible to get a majority gov't with fewer than 50% of the votes, and with minimal conservative voting in Ontario then who knows, but I still can't see that happening.
    Yeah they don't need 50% of popular vote to win 50% of the seats.

My Ride
    Wristshots

Originally posted by 01RedDX

^^^And that is why we need PROPORTIONAL REPRESENTATION

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

Default Re: possible majority government

Originally posted by Tyler883
    I .

Anyway, Ontario had better think twice about voting liberal,
    the west and Quebec are voting conservative.

Can you imagine a majority government that didn't rely on Ontario's vote? that would be poetic justice, don't you think?

with about 20% conservative support in Quebec and 40% conservative vote in Ontario and 41% in western Canada in the most recent polls how do you figure the west AND Quebec are voting Conservative? Did you mean the West and Ontario maybe? with only 1% difference between the conservative support in Western Canada and Ontaio it looks to me like seat rich Ontario is leading this conservative charge towards a possible majority.

http://www.sesresearch.com/election/...17%202006E.pdf
    Last edited by eljefe; 01-19-2006 at 09:14 AM.

My Ride
    2010 Toyota tacoma + 2009 Yamaha r6

What every one is forgetting which i saw on the news the other day is the fuckin convicts can vote as well.Guess who they are voting or at leas the majority? LIBERAl..only beacause paul martin and his goons let them and steven harper wont

Originally posted by joyridder
    I think it is possible...on Global News last night they had suggested that he could possible get between 152-153 seats....hopefully he can obtain the full 155....and then we could all say GOOD-BYE PAUL
    Chretien is the idiot that screwed Martin and the liberal party. He knew he screwed up and that's probably why he left office early. Chretien is the worse thing that ever happened to this country.

I can't believe the sponsorship scandal is not swaying the vote of the Ontarians. They must be retarded. I guess paying huge amounts of tax and watching it get wasted on the gun registry and sponsorship scandal appeals to them. What a great country.

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

Originally posted by richardchan2002

Chretien is the idiot that screwed Martin and the liberal party. He knew he screwed up and that's probably why he left office early. Chretien is the worse thing that ever happened to this country.

I can't believe the sponsorship scandal is not swaying the vote of the Ontarians. They must be retarded. I guess paying huge amounts of tax and watching it get wasted on the gun registry and sponsorship scandal appeals to them. What a great country.
    hmmmmm 40% conservative support in Ontario the traditionally liberal stronghold and 41% conservative support in Western Canada the Conservative stronghold in the most recent polls..............hmmmmmm yeah odd isn't it how its not swayed any Ontario voters

http://www.sesresearch.com/election/...17%202006E.pdf

Originally posted by richardchan2002

Chretien is far from the worst thing that ever happened to this country, he isn't even the worst Liberal to happen to this country (Trudeau anyone).

Originally posted by kertejud

Chretien is far from the worst thing that ever happened to this country, he isn't even the worst Liberal to happen to this country (Trudeau anyone).
    You aren't serious are you? Chretien was a DISASTER.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by l8braker

You aren't serious are you? Chretien was a DISASTER.
    They are both up there. Chreiten almost lost a country. Tredeau plunge Canada into deep recession by screwing Alberta.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast