Quantcast
So you wanna have a House Party? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So you wanna have a House Party?

My Ride
    2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2 V6

Default So you wanna have a House Party?

Thought this would stir up a few opinions.....

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ink060118.html

I think that Anyone that is throwing a house party or some "social gathering" should encourage their guests to be responsible when drinking ie) encourage DD driver's.

What would your position be??

Discuss.....

Everyone is responsible for making their own decisions. Private house party hosts should not be liable for the actions of their drunken guests.

Sad that someone ended up a parapalegic but at the end of the day the person behind the wheel was the one that decided to get in their car and drive after having too much to drink. The driver was the one that decided to bring their car to the party to begin with. Had they known they would be drinking they would have arranged for alternative transportation ahead of time.

However, I do believe that companies holding Christmas parties (and the like) where the liquor is free should be required to offer free cabs to all employees and guests. If they are willing to pay for booze they should be willing to pay for the cab home.

My Ride
    2004 Nissan Titan LE

"private party hosts should meet the same standards that apply to bars, which are responsible for drinkers"

so does that mean if I leave a bar and get into an accident I can sue them?

I think that its each persons responsibility to know there limit.. I dont expect anybody to arrange a ride home for me if I get drunk, therefor if I dont have another way home.. I dont drink. Its an active choice I make.

just my 2¢

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by jer82

Yes.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    a wrx.

I think the word that people are looking for here is obligation.

The hosts may be obligated to ensure their guests get home safely, but required? Hell no. As the defense lawyer said...

Williams also argued that a finding of social host liability in the case could unfairly burden any Canadian who has friends over to share a drink.

"That's the risk. The risk is unlimited liability."

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

I have many parties and get togethers at my house, both with friends and staff parties. In the summer I host bbq and pool parties almost every weekend and I always have beer on tap.

Whether it is a staff function or neighbours and friends, to me there is no difference, these are people invited into my home and if they bring their own drinks or they drink what I have available I always make sure that they have been provided a ride over and are not driving or I have transportation available for them to get home. Either way I have invited these people to my home for a good time and to me that good time means them getting home safe too.

Employees or friends It doesnt matter to me, I am always proactive about making sure no one is put or puts themself into a position to drink and drive. To me its not a legal issue but more a personal moral choice.

My Ride
    2005 F350

absolutely rediculous. lets sue the world because 1 person fucked up...fucken people are sometimes better off dead.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by eljefe
    I have many parties and get togethers at my house, both with friends and staff parties. In the summer I host bbq and pool parties almost every weekend and I always have beer on tap.

Whether it is a staff function or neighbours and friends, to me there is no difference, these are people invited into my home and if they bring their own drinks or they drink what I have available I always make sure that they have been provided a ride over and are not driving or I have transportation available for them to get home. Either way I have invited these people to my home for a good time and to me that good time means them getting home safe too.

Employees or friends It doesnt matter to me, I am always proactive about making sure no one is put or puts themself into a position to drink and drive. To me its not a legal issue but more a personal moral choice.
    thats all fine and dandy, but what if someone left before you knew it, and they hit someone. would you feel responsible for their choice? would you go to jail for them "because it was your responsibility"?

My Ride

Originally posted by SOAB

thats all fine and dandy, but what if someone left before you knew it, and they hit someone. would you feel responsible for their choice? would you go to jail for them "because it was your responsibility"?
    like I said it is not about a legal responsibility, to me it is a moral resonsibility. I would feel as I am sure any of us would feel terrible if something like that were to happen to a friend who had been at our place. That is why I take care to not let something like that happen.

Like I said I make sure they have gotten dropped off or taken a cab when they come over. If not I ask them for their keys and I provide them a way home.

No I can not make sure that someone does not "take off" before myself or another friend stops them. If someone drives I toss their keys in my desk (locked) so no one "loses" their keys. I don't give a shit how loud someone complained to me if friend was obviously intoxicated or I had any thought they should not drive they are not getting their keys back til tomorrow.

Its my house, my rules if you don't like it don't come over.
    Last edited by eljefe; 01-19-2006 at 04:17 PM.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

You cant put the onus on the hosts, to be liable for someone elses actions, what kind of stupid shit is that.

I for one do not have a breathalyzer installed at my front door, nor do I plan on installing one. If my guests look me straight in the eye, and tell me they're fine, and I naver saw them drinking excessivly, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I always offer rooms, beds, floors, couches, bathrooms to crash in, and encourage DD's, but it's not my problem if they do something stupid on their own accord.

If I saw them pounding it back though, well of course I'd find them another way home. I'm not going to babysit my adult guests however. I've always been taught that we are responsioble for our actions, where the hell did this idea escape society?

It's like if I lend a knife set to a friend because they said they needed it for a half a cow they bought. I ask them if they're mentally stable to opperate a knife, they say yes, but end up going psycho on someone and killing them or themselves, not my fault.

My opinion anyways.
    Travel

My Ride
    NC1

^^^

Just another excuse for people to lay blame on others for their own stupid mistakes.

It's not right, it's not fair, it's just bullshit if you ask me!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by jer82

yes, but chances are you will be the most liable for the accident...70-80% and the establishment that let you get behind the wheel 20-30%...whether you only injure yourself or someone else...you're gonna lose money

We went over this exact case childs v. desormeaux in my law class. For bars and even company parties the host is liable for allowing drunks on the road, everything within the host's power (including phoning the cops) must be done to absolve the host from any liability.
    However in the case of a private house party, the judge decided that it would place too much of a responsibility on future social hosts. If this lawsuit went through, this case would set a precedent resulting in all future house party hosts to accept the responsibility of not letting drunks on the road to the same degree as bars and company parties ie watching them carefully and calling the cops if you have to.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by eljefe

like I said it is not about a legal responsibility, to me it is a moral resonsibility. I would feel as I am sure any of us would feel terrible if something like that were to happen to a friend who had been at our place. That is why I take care to not let something like that happen.

Like I said I make sure they have gotten dropped off or taken a cab when they come over. If not I ask them for their keys and I provide them a way home.

No I can not make sure that someone does not "take off" before myself or another friend stops them. If someone drives I toss their keys in my desk (locked) so no one "loses" their keys. I don't give a shit how loud someone complained to me if friend was obviously intoxicated or I had any thought they should not drive they are not getting their keys back til tomorrow.

Its my house, my rules if you don't like it don't come over.
    its obvious that you missed the point of this thread. its all about "legal responsibility". every sane person would care about a friend, wouldn't let them drive home drunk, etc.

my question is, would you go to jail for them? no fucken way i would. not for this offence.

adults make a choice and try to place the blame on someone else when they fuck up.

My Ride

my question is, would you go to jail for them? no fucken way i would. not for this offence.

you obviously missed the point of this thread and the article, its about liability. It is not about going to jail, no one is talking about jail, the legal responsible part is getting sued i.e liability NOT jail

Originally posted by Ben
    You cant put the onus on the hosts, to be liable for someone elses actions, what kind of stupid shit is that.

I for one do not have a breathalyzer installed at my front door, nor do I plan on installing one. If my guests look me straight in the eye, and tell me they're fine, and I naver saw them drinking excessivly, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I always offer rooms, beds, floors, couches, bathrooms to crash in, and encourage DD's, but it's not my problem if they do something stupid on their own accord.

If I saw them pounding it back though, well of course I'd find them another way home. I'm not going to babysit my adult guests however. I've always been taught that we are responsioble for our actions, where the hell did this idea escape society?

It's like if I lend a knife set to a friend because they said they needed it for a half a cow they bought. I ask them if they're mentally stable to opperate a knife, they say yes, but end up going psycho on someone and killing them or themselves, not my fault.

My opinion anyways.

Couldnt have said it better myself!

I am all for stopping a buddy I KNOW is loaded from driving. However I am not going to interrogate my guests as they leave the house.

I say fuck that noise.

people host parties to have fun, not fucking baby sit. this is obviously within reason. if I can tell my friend's shitfaced I'll make him sit his ass down unit he's good to drive (or make him take a cab).

if the government want hosts/hostesses to be liable then they should assume some responsibility over the whole then. The government is responsible for us as well so if they're going to make all of us do something then they gotta pay to play.

I want high fucking tech breathalizers and cool shit like that. I'd totally make everybody do that before they left my place. Everybody's always wondering what their blood alcohol is anyways. So now they'll *know* if they can drive or not.
    Last edited by the_fornicator; 01-19-2006 at 04:43 PM.

My Ride

its obvious that you missed the point of this thread. its all about "legal responsibility
    exactly ,and like I said to me it isnt about covering my ass legally, its just choices I make and what I feel comfortable with but to answer your question, I have no doubt that my personal choices in the way I handle my social events show proper care, concern and preventative initiative that I wouldn't have a concern.

Calgary,Alberta / Raleigh,NC / Kortrijk, Belgium
    My Ride
    01-BMW-330ci , 96-Spoon-EK

A person should not be responsible for the safety of anyone that ever sets foot in their home... That whole thing is about a person's refusal to take responsibility for themselves and their [life-altering] decisions.

And another thing - She got into a car with a guy who had 3 PREVIOUS convictions for DUI... What the hell was she thinking, and why can't she take the responsibility for that decision? Stupid, stupid...
    Last edited by FatboyTheHungry; 01-19-2006 at 04:51 PM.
    My Favorite Animal is Steak

Fatboy's 330ci

Fatboy's Spoon EK

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

I think it's a little much. I mean it's one thing to offer people a place to crash, offer a cab, etc, on the terms of being a good host. But it's another to be legally liable to do so. I don't understand why if YOU get drunk at YOUR house and then drive it's YOUR problem, but if YOU get drunk at my house, it now becomes my problem? YOU still did it, not ME!!! It feels like we're following the US, and their "blame everybody but yourself" state of mind.

My Ride
    94' Terd

Driving a car is a privilage, one of the rules of that privilage is to not drive drunk, if you make the decision to abuse that privilage you should be solely responsible for any damage you cause during your drunk driving escapade. End of story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast