Quantcast
AMG Plans for 2006 (MY 2007 cars) *updated 2009 SLK63* - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: AMG Plans for 2006 (MY 2007 cars) *updated 2009 SLK63*

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default AMG Plans for 2006 (MY 2007 cars) *updated 2009 SLK63*

Mercedes-AMG Chairman Volker Mornhinweg plans to meet competitors head-on.

To fend off challenges from BMW's M cars and Audi's RS models, as well as models from Jaguar, Cadillac and Lexus, Mornhinweg is considering adding dual-clutch transmissions to make AMG cars sportier; switching from supercharging to turbocharging to make AMG engines more powerful; and sharpening AMG's styling.

Stuttgart-born Mornhinweg, a 45-year-old engineer, previously was manager of DaimlerChrysler's Berlin-Marienfelde powertrain plant. Mercedes-Benz took control of German tuner AMG in 1999. That year the company sold about 5,000 cars. In 2004, AMG sold more than 20,000 units.

Mornhinweg became chairman of Mercedes-AMG on Sept. 1, 2005. He gave his first press interview since taking his new job to Automotive News Europe Staff Reporter Jens Meiners.
    What are your biggest challenges?

It is an exciting time at AMG. We are rolling out the new 6.3-liter V-8, we are introducing three new model lines in 2006, and we are putting our new engine into four existing vehicles.

With the arrival of the new naturally aspirated 6.3-liter engine, is the chapter of supercharged engines closed at AMG?

Yes. Let me say that the supercharged 5.5-liter V-8 really triggered the success of AMG. But with the 6.3-liter V-8, we reach the same kind of output without supercharging. For the future, the trend will be turbocharging.

Will you reduce your engine portfolio to two engines - the 6.3-liter V-8 and the turbocharged 6.0-liter V-12?

Yes, in the midterm we will focus on these two engines. But we are looking for ways to bridge a gap between them in future. That could be, for example, a turbocharged version of a V-8, so there would be three levels of power.

What about the SLK and the G class - will they keep the current 5.5-liter V-8?

For the SLK we could use the new 6.3-liter engine, but we may also raise output of the current engine. There is no decision yet. As to the G class, we are keeping the supercharged 5.5-liter V-8 for the moment, but we are conducting a feasibility study on putting the new 6.3-liter engine into it. Let me also say that we are very happy that the G class continues in production; after all, almost one-third of all G-class vehicles are AMG versions.

The 6.3-liter engine was developed from scratch and had no commonalities with other Mercedes engines. Would you do such a project again?

The time was right to demonstrate we have the ability to develop this engine, and our customers will enjoy it tremendously. Would we do it again? I want to leave that open.

Would you do a V-6, or would you put a regular Mercedes engine like the 388-hp, 5.5-liter V-8 into an AMG car?

As to a Mercedes engine, the answer is categorically no. Our customers rightly expect a true AMG package, including powertrain, chassis and styling. We have long discussed the possibility of a V-6, but discarded the idea for the moment. But it may be reconsidered in the future if the market changes.

Will you offer an AMG diesel again?

There is no diesel project at the moment. We had the C30 CDI AMG in our portfolio before, and it was very popular, particularly in Italy and France. We periodically review the possibility of another AMG diesel.

What about hybrids?

We are very closely studying the market. Overall, I have my reservations about the actual efficiency of hybrids, but at the end of the day it comes down to the customer. For example, if one day it becomes fashionable to silently drive up to a hip location in California with electric power, we will have to play a role there, too. That said, our customers tell us the pleasure (in driving an AMG) comes from power, torque and definitely the engine sound.

What's your transmissions strategy?

We are very successful with our current package, which includes automatic transmissions. But dual-clutch transmissions are a feature that can be a lot of fun, because we can shift faster and play with the engine. We are actually evaluating the possible benefits and the feasibility of such an option. But, to be clear, it is nothing to expect next year.

Could a dual-clutch system one day fully replace automatic transmissions?

We are studying it for AMG. It is a pure AMG topic. And when the system comes, it will come in more than one model.

Could four-wheel-drive versions be added?

It is a fascinating topic for engineers, but there really is little customer demand. We don't need it for driving dynamics, and currently don't see the necessity beyond the G-, M-class and R-class models. But we could react very quickly if the market changes.

Will there be AMG versions of the entry-level A class and B class?

Our core business is the top end of the market. We are driven by customer demand, and in some markets we see that even the C class is a borderline product. It will continue to be our entry-level car, because we can offer a very round package. For AMG versions of the A and B class, we simply don't see demand on the market.

Could you expand your portfolio in other ways?

We have 16 models on the market, and unlike some competitors, we have life cycles that are virtually identical with Mercedes' base models. So we are very happy with the current situation. In the future we want to expand our segmentation. With our entry-level models, such as the C class, we could become even sportier. The limited edition CLK DTM AMG was a tremendous success, and we can do more with similar models. From 2007 on, we will offer performance packages with a sharp focus on sportive characteristics.

Are motorsports like the Deutschen Tourenwagen Masters important?

AMG is born on the racetrack, and our customers are fascinated by it. It is a great marketing topic, and we will always support motorsports, because it is a clear asset. As to the DTM, we live from competition and enthusiasm, and it would be nice to have more than one competitor (Audi). It would be fantastic for instance, if BMW returned to the DTM.

What will AMG's design signature be?

We have our own design studio, and we are working on our future design strategy. I would say that on the road you can recognize an AMG even without a label. We have to be careful to keep this signature, which we have developed since 1999 and 2000. But we must also position ourselves for the future. It's fair to say we could become a bit more aggressive.

Do AMG customers want the latest technological innovations?

We have to be careful here. Our chassis and drivetrain solutions are highly advanced. But we work with base vehicles that have a lot of cutting-edge technology and electronics, such as night-vision systems or the COMAND user interface. Our customers do not really ask for more; on the contrary, we are sometimes asked if we can take technology out of our cars.

There is a certain clientele asking for lightweight, purist solutions, such as we offered in the CLK DTM AMG. We will target these customers with the performance packages.

What's your sales outlook?

Since 1999, when Mercedes-Benz fully took over AMG, our sales numbers grew fivefold. We won't match that rate of growth, but our goal is to continue the very profitable growth.

How do you respond to criticism that you make excessively expensive and environmentally unfriendly cars?

Of course, we have a commitment to society. I am not going to tell you we will make a one-liter car next, but we definitely have the ambition to make our cars more efficient, and we want to place emphasis on efficient engines and lightweight solutions within the segment in which we operate.

AMG's lineup

These Mercedes models will get a boost from AMG in 2006.

NEW MODEL LINES
    M class
    S class
    R class

NEW ENGINES/UPGRADES
    SL 55 AMG (higher output)
    CLK 63 AMG
    E 63 AMG
    CLS 63 AMG
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

No SLK 63 for at least a year. May not even come out, they may just boost the current motor's power .

CLK 63 will be a really hot car though!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2
    No SLK 63 for at least a year. May not even come out, they may just boost the current motor's power .

CLK 63 will be a really hot car though!
    At least he didn't say NEVER.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

SLK63 would be a filthy beast of a car lol
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Wristshots

wicked article rage

neil4speed: if they come out with a slk63 amg, u gotta convince sanj to buy one

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Get that deposit is going to sit and wait a little while longer eh?

My Ride
    AI Servo

all he talks about is power power and more power. what about build quality???

Originally posted by turboMiata
    all he talks about is power power and more power. what about build quality???
    not up to him, he's just the AMG dude. Dieter Zetsche is the man you're looking for
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    89 Mustang Turbo 2.3 coupe

I was checking out a AMG SL 65 V12 bi-turbo that came in my shop for winter storage.All i can say is holy crap what an awesome car.
    78 cobra II..... 347 N/A 11.34@119
    89 coupe....Alberta's fastest 4 cylinder Mustang 11.40/122.88

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

It's in the making!

PS. Wait until the 73's or 75's are out. Mercedes-Benz has both names registered!

Imagine if that ever happened! Oh God!

My Ride
    TOPLESS 64 IMPALA /2004 SALEEN S281 SC / 2007 Z06

smart sob

Originally posted by /////AMG
    It's in the making!

PS. Wait until the 73's or 75's are out. Mercedes-Benz has both names registered!

Imagine if that ever happened! Oh God!
    maybe cause there already was a SL73 in the past?
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    Wristshots

And they still use that 73 engine in the Pagani Zonda

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Originally posted by 962 kid
    maybe cause there already was a SL73 in the past?
    Ya ( ) but there wasn't a 75!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Hope this doesn't affect your plans max_boost .

Just got an email update with confirmed cars with the new 6.2L "63" motor.

So the CLK63, CLS63, and the E63 has already been officially confirmed for MY2007 showing up end of this year.

CL63 has also been added to the lineup for MY2007.

MY2008 (arriving spring/summer 2007) are the C63 and the SLK63 with the R171 SLK getting a facelift and the C63 showing up in the new W204 chassis.

Somebody already updated the wikipedia entry with the new info too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufrech...er_Grossaspach

My Ride
    GTI

Crazy.

SLK63 would be a hand full.

My Ride
    V167

I've got a magazine article in an OLD Road and Track from back when the SLK was a concept. At the time, Mercedes said "We will NEVER put a 6-cylinder into the SLK...the Kompressor is sufficient". Look at how things have changed

I'll scan the article later on when I get some time.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I have the same mag! (It's on top of the shitter at my parents house lol). It's the one with the silver SLK, silver grill and the red salsa interior right? Also talks about the boxster concept too.

Originally posted by Hakkola
    Crazy.

SLK63 would be a hand full.
    Nah, SLK63 would be just right .

My Ride
    NC1

Since rage is first in line, I'll just borrow his when it gets here
    Who knows, I might have to trade up since newer is almost always better.
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    V167

I have the same mag! (It's on top of the shitter at my parents house lol). It's the one with the silver SLK, silver grill and the red salsa interior right? Also talks about the boxster concept too.

Yep that's the one hahahah
    It's sitting in my bathroom too lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast