Quantcast
phlem build up after cardio workout - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: phlem build up after cardio workout

Default phlem build up after cardio workout

After going to a 1 hour grueling cycling class (spin) I found I had a stuffy chest and phlem buildup.. anyone else ever have this? whats the best way to get rid of it or it not occuring.. I have taken this class multiple times before with no previous build up.

any ideas?

My Ride
    Lamborgotti Fasterossa XT 550

drink more water

You probably have a little bit of a cold/chest infection. A long hot shower after may help clear your breathing tubes! (I'm sure you do showwer after, but make it longer and hotter)

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

did you use to smoke? cause some times it happens to me, and i found the best way to get rid of it is to keep coughing it up untill its done

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride
    90 jdm ST185 86 ST162

Originally posted by 00CivicSi
    drink more water

Bingo!

hit the steamroom after your workout

My Ride
    STI

Any time you do a strenuous physical activity you can get this. Especially if you have any kind of COPD chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. IE asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis. Drinking water and hydrateing well can help with it for sure but your just going to have to deal with it. Any time you exert yourself your lungs naturally open up to allow more gas extange at the alvioli. This opening of your airways will take once stuck phlem build up and loosen it up and try to get it out by coughing. Or you could have a slight cold or pneumonia causeing an excess mucus secretion.

If its not normal for you and your worried about it maybe go see your doc. There are meds out there that can help you.

Do you have any medical history of respiratory problems? Allergies?

lol and sorry if there is spelling mistakes .....

My Ride
    04 trek 5900

Well as a cyclist myself this almost usually happens during SERIOUS effort for prolonged periods of time. I notice it more on dusty days, which can't be helped here in Calgary. Yea try to drink more water, also if possible and you own a bicycle go outside climb some long hills like COP or wherever you can do a sustained effort for long periods of time and drink lots try to carry 2 water bottles with you

A little OT but where do you take Spin at?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

/\/\ I'm wondering too, I find in dry gyms (U of C) that I get that too, you need moisture, and for sure increasing the water intake would help....I hate really dry air...
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I'm assuming you are under 40 or 50, in which case COPD would be very rare, unless you have a HEAVY smoking history, or have an enzyme defect called alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Phlegm or sputum induced by exercide is entirely different than that seen in people who have chronic bronchitis (a form of COPD).

The mucous production can be triggered by our dry air, combined with the increased blood flow induced with cardio. Your dry mucous membranes will probably react by produsing more mucous, some of which will invariably find its way into your trachea (aka post-nasal drip).

Or, as others have suggested, you may be getting a cold, or have some reactive airways (ie asthma).

My Ride
    96 civic lx, 04 corolla

Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
    Any time you do a strenuous physical activity you can get this. Especially if you have any kind of COPD chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. IE asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis. Drinking water and hydrateing well can help with it for sure but your just going to have to deal with it. Any time you exert yourself your lungs naturally open up to allow more gas extange at the alvioli. This opening of your airways will take once stuck phlem build up and loosen it up and try to get it out by coughing. Or you could have a slight cold or pneumonia causeing an excess mucus secretion.

If its not normal for you and your worried about it maybe go see your doc. There are meds out there that can help you.

Do you have any medical history of respiratory problems? Allergies?

lol and sorry if there is spelling mistakes .....

Very nice way of saying drink water..great explanation too. .
    never used to happen to me but i always drank lots of water.

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

The dry air in Calgary can often be the cause of runny noses and congestion, if this is the case for you, a humidifier on your night stand can provide you with moist air for a large portion of each day. The humid air will also eleviate the severity of colds.

I work out at Fitness Plus in the N.E... it is really dry there.. Ill try the sauna and see if there is any diff.