Quantcast
2003 Civic SiR - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Civic SiR

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default 2003 Civic SiR

A few hours ago, my dad brought home a brand new Civic SiR with 830km on it. He borrowed it from a friend who had it as a loaner before his Pilot arrived. The first thing my dad tells me as he steps in the door is, "Jeff, you can't drive this car because insurance won't cover it." Well I took the key anyway, and took the baby out for a spin around the block. Oh yea, I didn't know how to drive stick. Well, I do now...thanks to driving around the neighborhood a million times in the SiR.

My impressions of the car. First off, it looks AWESOME in real life as compared to pics online. The interior is also very nice and Honda like. Everything is solid and all the buttons have a reassuring "click" to them. The seats are supportive, the front is spacious and roomy, although the rear seats might as well not be there. Visibility is far from exceptional when looking backwards thru the hatch, but it isn't really an issue. The steering wheel is very nice, it is a 3 spoke design that forces you to adopt a 2-10 hand position. Steering is very nice, it has just right amount of stiffness/power steering. The suspension is pretty nice, but not very tolerating. Even the smallest bump is transmitted to the steering wheel and can throw you off course. Basically, it makes the driver pay 100% attention while driving. It comes down to personal preference whether one likes or not. I like the engine; beyond 2000rpm, the engine is extremely smooth and free revving. It gives out a very pleasant whir that is quite subdued in the cabin, but that is due to good NVH insulation. Opening the window reveals that the engine isn't really all that quiet. The transmission is definitely different than your average car's. The gearing is damn close, and it demanded a shift every 2 seconds if you wanted to keep the revs under 4000 rpm. In fact, I run thru the gears so quick, I was left wanting a 6th gear. The throws are short, the gates are close, and the clutch only needs a tiny peck to switch gears.

All in all, this car has really surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, having already known the specs, and having seen the pics online. However, it is a blast to drive, and looks very sharp in real life. If you are even slightly considering this car, do yourself a favor and try it out.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Basically, the SiR is the PIMPSHIT

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Which magazine did you copy that out of? Hehe, jk...

How long did it take you to learn how to drive stick?? You teach yourself or something? How does the position of that shifter feel?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by gpomp
    Which magazine did you copy that out of? Hehe, jk...

How long did it take you to learn how to drive stick?? You teach yourself or something? How does the position of that shifter feel?
    C&D man! Yea I basically taught myself to drive stick...caught on pretty quick I think. The only time I've driven stick before this is when I test drove a CRX.

The shifter position is alright, although I prefer the normal position so that my arm doesn't have to be raised the whole time. The rallyish position does make it easier to figure out what gear you're in though.

My Ride
    1992 Jetta GTX 16v

Those SiR's are nice ... i just don't really like the low visibility in the back ... what if a small kid is behind you ... you will just plow them over
    Once you go 'Dub ... you don't go back

My Ride
    NC1

I wanted to test drive the SiR and Calgary Honda would not lett me! WTF is up with that? I also wanted to test drive the S2000 and again they would not let me! WTF is up with that? But I'm happy with my car, for now at least
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by max_boost
    I wanted to test drive the SiR and Calgary Honda would not lett me! WTF is up with that? I also wanted to test drive the S2000 and again they would not let me! WTF is up with that? But I'm happy with my car, for now at least
    Why the hell wouldnt they let you drive the cars? Didnt you buy a Prelude from them?

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by James

Why the hell wouldnt they let you drive the cars? Didnt you buy a Prelude from them?
    Indeed and they ripped me off pretty bad too!!! :madred:
    I am user #49

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I didn't have any problems test driving cars at calgary honda, it just took me FOREVER to get anyone to acknowledge my existence. I was in the showroom for 20 minutes before anyone even came up to me.

Indeed and they ripped me off pretty bad too!!! :madred:

haha..what happened to the "brotherhood" between you and Kerpal? was that his name? haha..."come on mah brotha sam...put down a down payment!"

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    I didn't have any problems test driving cars at calgary honda, it just took me FOREVER to get anyone to acknowledge my existence. I was in the showroom for 20 minutes before anyone even came up to me.
    We are not talking about civic coupes or minivans here
    We are talking about the S2K! lol
    I am user #49

SIR... pilot....S2k.... so many rich ppl out there

Doesn't sound like my kind of car at all. I drive with hands at 9 and 3, I like clutches with lots of give, and I don't find really close gear spacing really fun in everyday city driving. and the thing looks like a minivan to me (yes, I've seen a couple close up in real life)
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    Doesn't sound like my kind of car at all. I drive with hands at 9 and 3, I like clutches with lots of give, and I don't find really close gear spacing really fun in everyday city driving. and the thing looks like a minivan to me (yes, I've seen a couple close up in real life)
    You're more of the "drive a tank to run shit over and clear landmines and wreck small buildings" kinda guy instead of the "I have a fast freaking car that can do 90 degree turns at 180km/h no problem"...right?

don't like the SiR myself, kind of a sorry excuse for the Real CTR, oh well guess thats what you get for being in northamerica, well you can always add a typeR badge , anyone know when the 5dr HB civic is gonna come out? supposed to take on the MP5, Matrix, ZX5 etc. and it will look like a SiR cept with 5 drs

LOL well if your not gonna buy it why would they let you drive it? same as Ford, Dodge, Chev, Toyota, Nissan. if they think your some punk ass kid they wont let you, its like their policy. if i may ask. why did you buy a prelude? preludes are pretty much the biggest rip off, they are underpowered (good for a 2.2NA but for pulling 3000+lbs?) the accord 2dr beat the crap out of preludes in sales of the same year, honda was actually losing money on the ludes thats why they are discontinued

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    You're more of the "drive a tank to run shit over and clear landmines and wreck small buildings" kinda guy instead of the "I have a fast freaking car that can do 90 degree turns at 180km/h no problem"...right?
    Nope... I like a little bit from all worlds
    That car just sounds like the opposite from vehicles I feel "at home" in. I love the feel of some smaller cars like golfs.... and my gf's getting a 200sx se-r soon
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    Doesn't sound like my kind of car at all. I drive with hands at 9 and 3....and the thing looks like a minivan to me (yes, I've seen a couple close up in real life)
    Yeah the thing looks like those old Chevy Lumina/Pontiac Transport "dustbuster" minivans, but everything else sounds good.

I like to have my steering wheel spokes at 5 and 7 they're 100% out of the way, and that's where I have them!
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    Civic SiR, Chev 3500 duramax

i saw someone test driving a new SiR the other day when i was driving. I have an SiR and am VERY happy with it. But the 2003 model basically looks like a small minivan and reminds me too much of a focus or other similar hatchback car. I think honda should have did some more r&d and maybe come out with a car to match other manufactures instead of something that is behind. Its slower than the older SiR too (as stated in several magazines) and that isn't very impressive at all

i like the old SiR better,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast