Quantcast
Laptop Suggestions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Suggestions?

Default Laptop Suggestions?

I need help on deciding a laptop i can purchase at Bestbuy or Futureshop. I'll be using it for music, movies, word processing and probably some autocad.

I also don't want to spend too much money on one.

Right now i'm thinking of this one.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...8&catid=20354#

or this one

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...070871&catid=#
    Last edited by AznDragon2004; 01-28-2006 at 11:19 PM.

My Ride
    2002 Celica GT

buy an HP. The new HP line is amazing and reliable. have one myself

Default Re: Laptop Suggestions?

Originally posted by AznDragon2004
    I need help on deciding a laptop i can purchase at Bestbuy or Futureshop. I'll be using it for music, movies, word processing and probably some autocad.

I also don't want to spend too much money on one.

Right now i'm thinking of this one.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...p;catid=20354#

or this one

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...71&catid=#
    Great price for that compaq one. I was actually thinking of buying it myself pretty soon except at best buy and not futureshop.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

buy a toshiba or an IBM anything else there is no service for them around town so it would have to be sent out to the respective companies and ur out of a laptop for a month or so. Just not worth the hastle get a good toshiba or Ibm and get em fixed in town , overnight parts for ibm, 2nd day for toshibas

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Originally posted by alky1987
    buy an HP. The new HP line is amazing and reliable. have one myself

Just got a new one is august and i love it

My Ride
    SlowBalt

oops double post

Originally posted by eblend
    buy a toshiba or an IBM anything else there is no service for them around town so it would have to be sent out to the respective companies and ur out of a laptop for a month or so. Just not worth the hastle get a good toshiba or Ibm and get em fixed in town , overnight parts for ibm, 2nd day for toshibas
    heck no. Toshibas are pos's. I've had so many problems w/ them. Such poor designs.

Originally posted by Sharpie
    oops double post
    refer to sig.

My Ride
    NC1

Thoughts on this one? http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

AznDRagon2004 -- My cousin is in the same boat. Not really sure which one is the best of the bunch, not looking to spend more than $1200 either.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost
    Thoughts on this one? http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...&langid=EN

AznDRagon2004 -- My cousin is in the same boat. Not really sure which one is the best of the bunch, not looking to spend more than $1200 either.
    For the same price, you could get the compaq posted above. The toshiba does have a larger screen, but I dunno, I've had bad experiences w/ toshiba laptops. Plus the compaq has a better processor IMO.

same here, looking for a laptop, a more compact one, but not going over $1500.

If your looking for a really powerful computer phone around the different staples in Calgary and look for an HP called the ZV6170CA (Item # 612602). Its $1197.00 and this week (ends tuesday) you get 100 dollars off and a free printer. A dope computer (AMD 64 3800+, 1024 DDR RAM, 128 MB Dedicated Graphics Card (ATI Xpress 200M), 100 GB Hard Drive, DVD+-RW etc.)

My Ride

well i don't really care what anyone goes with, but i work as a tech and just telling you my opinion as to why i wouldn't get anything from hp or compaq, acer too. Its really up to you, but if shit hits the fan, be prepared to wait a while. And another thing, if its outside of warranty period and you missing say a key on ur keyboard and want a new one, have to send it away and they charge 400 USD flat rate service, so be it a key on ur computer or a new motherboard, u pay 400 dollars to fix it. Really stupid and not worth it. I personally recommend IBM if you want a laptop that will last

I don't think i'll go with the toshiba.

I don't want to spend more then $1200. Also if i buy from futureshop or bestbuy i can buy the product service plan

I recomend Hp/Compaq, Dell, Apple or Acer.
    HP has a really nice "dv" model line which is portable and powerful with a host of features. Although the current line was just discontinued, meaning clearence prices on the remaining ones still in stores, or newer technology today if you choose to get the newer models.
    Dell is nice a cheap if you dont mind paying shipping, Acer is the same as Dell without shipping (Memory Express and Staples to name a few), and Apple... well if you like Apple then thats your only choice.
    Keep in mind if you dont mind waiting awhile new tech is coming out very soon. The new dual core centrinos are blazing fast, and relativly cheap. Centrino as it stands right now is the best laptop CPU out there. Longer battery life, with out scraficing power, and intertergrated chipset wireless internet. Centrino based laptops also tend to be in smaller designs making it light which means more portable.
    Also to statements raised about sending it away... I work at Staples and when you buy a laptop there you have the option of an extended service plan. It covers pretty much anything, even the battery!
    It doesnt cost alot... $169.99 to extend a laptop under $2000 for 2 extra years ontop of the manufacturors warrenty. So essentially 3 years your covered for.

I said alot, hope it helped.

My Ride

whatever u end up with have fun with it. I use my IBM for everything, its technically the only computer i got haha, it goes to work with me ,goes to school and i use it around the house

extended warranties most companies sell, but that still does not make it any faster for the computer to be fixed as noone fixes them locally. It will still need to be sent out and all that, u just won't have to pay the repair costs with an extended warranty

Last edited by kaput; 03-20-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Also should i wait a few more weeks to buy one or just buy one right now? Is there a difference in prices in a few weeks?

Originally posted by AznDragon2004
    Also should i wait a few more weeks to buy one or just buy one right now? Is there a difference in prices in a few weeks?
    hells yea.
    you buy something 1 week. two weeks later something better comes out for the same price. It will always be like that which is why u buy one and then never look at other laptops again. That way u cant get depressed.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by kaput
    The Macs were only mentioned once. Why isnt anyone considering them? Futureshop has a small ibook or something like that for $1250, I thought it looked interesting. What do you think of those?
    I picked up a power book over the holidays and it is definitely worth it. If you can't afford the power book, definitely look at the ibook as they are decently priced.

My Ride
    TSX A-Spec

Originally posted by eblend
    Out of town for a month? Not with my compaq.. I sent it out on a wednesday and got it back the following tuesday. Honestly, i was surprised by the great service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast