Quantcast
Can anyone lay a concrete foundation for a garage? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Can anyone lay a concrete foundation for a garage?

My Ride
    335i

Default Can anyone lay a concrete foundation for a garage?

If you can do it, PM me and we'll talk. Looking for someone who is skilled enough to do it for me at a reasonable price.

If anyone has any input on this, has had it done, or looking to do it for me in the next month or so, go ahead and post.

Any information is welcome: How much it should cost for something big enough to fit a double garage, can it be done in winter, what should i know prior to building, and do the Totem kits for 4-5k really include everything required to build a garage?

I'm not looking for anything glamorous, only something to boost the value of my house before I sell it in the next month or so.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Not a good idea to pour concrete till frost is out of the ground, as well as concrete needs to be at least +4 degrees to cure properly. I would suggest to wait till spring/summer.

My Ride
    93 Ford Flareside 4x4 9"lift

I do this for a part time job with my neighbour. PM me more exact details like size, and I will let the boss know.

I did mine heres what I did.

Bobcat took out the surface dirt and then used 2x4's for the form. Make sure that yout edges fall within the city guidelines for distance from property lines. Make sure your forms are square as well this is very important! Then you get the gravel (road crush) and spread it around the forms. once you have a nice base even with the bottom of the 2/x4's get a tamper from home depot and tamp the surface. Next get some rebar and tie and place your rebar where you want (avg is 18: inches) then your done.

If you get to this stage then you will save yourself some $$$ and it isnt hard to do.

If you order the concrete you will need to ensure you get the right strength (its more thatn regular concrete)

Fidning a tradesperson may be hard to do but the cheapest you can get is about $1 per sq ft up to $3 per sq ft.

Totem is THE SHIT for packages. Dont even waste your time shopping around the box stores someone on here said Star Building Mat is good but I have no exp with them.

Totem will have their sale soon where they eat the GST. You can put a $1000 down now and then pay the rest to them prior to ordering (Aug 31 deadline) but they will hold the price.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Pm BigBearWest (roberto)
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by 69cougar
    I did mine heres what I did.

Bobcat took out the surface dirt and then used 2x4's for the form. Make sure that yout edges fall within the city guidelines for distance from property lines. Make sure your forms are square as well this is very important! Then you get the gravel (road crush) and spread it around the forms. once you have a nice base even with the bottom of the 2/x4's get a tamper from home depot and tamp the surface. Next get some rebar and tie and place your rebar where you want (avg is 18: inches) then your done.

If you get to this stage then you will save yourself some $$$ and it isnt hard to do.

If you order the concrete you will need to ensure you get the right strength (its more thatn regular concrete)

Fidning a tradesperson may be hard to do but the cheapest you can get is about $1 per sq ft up to $3 per sq ft.

Totem is THE SHIT for packages. Dont even waste your time shopping around the box stores someone on here said Star Building Mat is good but I have no exp with them.

Totem will have their sale soon where they eat the GST. You can put a $1000 down now and then pay the rest to them prior to ordering (Aug 31 deadline) but they will hold the price.

Sounds simple enough, but did you find it hard to make everything level? I went to Totem today, and their kits are $4000 for the size i'm looking for, but they dont include garage door openers which kinda sucks.

I'd rather get the kit because I don't want to have to build the triangles for the roof, and it makes things easier.

How long did it take you to finish the pad? Do you want to do it again I'm not going to bother with a tradesperson, as my friends have done this for their own homes themselves with no previous knowledge and its come out good.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Sounds simple enough, but did you find it hard to make everything level? I went to Totem today, and their kits are $4000 for the size i'm looking for, but they dont include garage door openers which kinda sucks.

I'd rather get the kit because I don't want to have to build the triangles for the roof, and it makes things easier.

How long did it take you to finish the pad? Do you want to do it again I'm not going to bother with a tradesperson, as my friends have done this for their own homes themselves with no previous knowledge and its come out good.
    Garage door opener can be added to your package. The "trusses" are pre engineered and is the only way to go.
    Last edited by 69cougar; 01-01-2007 at 01:19 PM.

I've helped with a few garages and we used to mix our own concrete on the farm and lay it out... If ya need a hand let me know, but I prefer the warmth of a sunny day combined with a few cold ones..