Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: acer laptops

Default acer laptops

are they any good? need some opinions

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

In a word: YES.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

haha nice

would memory express be the best place to buy a acer?

My Ride
    a wrx.

No. Acer is a "entry-level" brand.

In case I wasn't clear, "entry-level" is retail slang for PIECE OF UNGODLY SHIT.

My Ride
    car

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    No. Acer is a "entry-level" brand.

In case I wasn't clear, "entry-level" is retail slang for PIECE OF UNGODLY SHIT.
    This is prob coming from someone that has never owned one....I have a aspire 5002, bought it at mem express for $950. I'd say its very good laptop for its price. Acer's are just as good, if not better than compaq's, hp's, gateways ect. Acer is a european company, and is one of the biggest laptop manufactures in the world.

Now of course the cheaper ones are good for everyday stuff like surfing, office, media.....but don't count on the cheaper ones being good for games. But then who plays games on a laptop? I'm talking about hl2, fear, farcry kinda stuff...thats for a gaming desktop.

My Ride
    XT6

Originally posted by rio_rex

This is prob coming from someone that has never owned one....I have a aspire 5002, bought it at mem express for $950. I'd say its very good laptop for its price. Acer's are just as good, if not better than compaq's, hp's, gateways ect. Acer is a european company, and is one of the biggest laptop manufactures in the world.

Now of course the cheaper ones are good for everyday stuff like surfing, office, media.....but don't count on the cheaper ones being good for games. But then who plays games on a laptop? I'm talking about hl2, fear, farcry kinda stuff...thats for a gaming desktop.
    I'd disagree, i've owned an Acer and it was in all honesty a peice of shit. Since then I bought a HP, little more pricey, but it runs hl2 rather smooth.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Wrong. I've owned an Acer PC, Acer monitor, and have had to deal with repairing an Acer system as well.

Acer is a cheap Taiwan company, not European, you poor, misled son of a bitch. Here's a chart showing how Acers are the cheapest fuckers on the market:

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

But then who plays games on a laptop? I'm talking about hl2, fear, farcry kinda stuff...thats for a gaming desktop.

I do, and my 17" P4 3.2GHz 2GB Ram 128mb ATI Laptop agrees.

Mind you I still have a decent gaming desktop also.

Either way it's a moot point. The top end ferrari laptop is nice, but there are better options out there IMO
    Travel

My Ride
    car

Ok, fine your right about there main headcourters located in taiwan, my bad on that. But just because they are cheapest laptops out there doesn't mean they are automatically the worst. I'v owned 2 acer laptops and a lcd monitor and never had a single problem. I am not saying acer builds super quality stuff, but for the price they offer stuff at, they are alright brand.

Now thats all i'm going to leave it at gts jeff....i'v seen your past posts, and it looks like u like to argu and shit and my post prob stirred u up a bit. But other than that i think ur a son of a bitch too, and don't come back saying i posted mislead stuff, cause i already admitted on that part.

Oh and i read your "hobo food" post awile back, hillarious stuff man, u really do asshole stuff, but that was fucking funny.
    Last edited by rio_rex; 02-06-2006 at 01:42 AM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Ok, fine your right about there main headcourters located in taiwan, my bad on that. But just because they are cheapest laptops out there doesn't mean they are automatically the worst. I'v owned 2 acer laptops and a lcd monitor and never had a single problem. I am not saying acer builds super quality stuff, but for the price they offer stuff at, they are alright brand.

Now thats all i'm going to leave it at gts jeff....i'v seen your past posts, and it looks like u like to argu and shit and my post prob stirred u up a bit. But other than that i think ur a son of a bitch too, and don't come back saying i posted mislead stuff, cause i already admitted on that part.

Oh and i read your "hobo food" post awile back, hillarious stuff man, u really do asshole stuff, but that was fucking funny.
    I'm not sure whether to thank you or what...you son of a bitch.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Acer = crap. I bought one of their monitors. 2 months later it failed. Sent it in for repair, would take 15 days. Fair enough. Guess what? It's been 5 weeks!!
    The idiots sent it out ont he 24th but it somehow went back to their repair centre, fucking idiots.

Acer, never ever again. Ever.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Acer, Also known as Acher (ache-er) Short for Head Ache.

In acer's defence, they're affordable, plus they cant be absolute garbage, as MemEx carries them quite extensively and seems to keep them on as a supplier.
    Travel

My Ride
    BNR32

acer is good man i got 1 and its good

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

I'd disagree, i've owned an Acer and it was in all honesty a peice of shit. Since then I bought a HP, little more pricey, but it runs hl2 rather smooth.
    What were the specs of your Acer laptop? What were the specs of your HP laptop?

I think you'll find quite a discrepancy. It doesn't matter what BRAND the laptop is, it's the specs that count, tool.

I've owned 2 Acer laptops and 1 Acer LCD. None have given me ANY problem (the LCD has two red pixels near the edges of the panel, no big deal).

And GTS Jeff, what is that chart showing? Average cost of laptop? Combined yearly sales (in millions?)?

Oh, and you can play games damn fine on a laptop. The 7800GTX Go plays anything just fine.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche LTZ

lol hewlett packards are the biggest pieces of shit in the laptop and desktop market. Great Buy!! Keep thinking that.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Shrad

And GTS Jeff, what is that chart showing? Average cost of laptop?
    Yes.

My Ride
    Audi

The HP logo on the outisde of the notebook (which coincidentally isn't really even made by HP anymore) isn't going to make your computer run any faster. It's like putting Type R stickers on a Civic DX thinking it'll give it'll make it faster then a j-body

I've seen and worked on more Acer/HP/Toshiba notebooks then you probably have ever owned. I'll tell you that if you take the shell off, all the notebooks look very similar on the inside. Probably even made by the same company in Taiwan too
    Last edited by hampstor; 02-07-2006 at 01:11 AM.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

I actually have an Acer; it's an Aspire 1691, and I love it. Now, Acer does not make great monitors or computers (or Tvs, for that matter), but they are very solid in the notebook category. In fact, Dell just announced that Acer is 'serious competition' because they are filling a nice channel of distribution, and they are rapidly improving. Last year they took over number 3 spot, behind HP and Dell, for most notebooks shipped, ahead of Toshiba.

Now, all notebooks are prone to failure (1/3 need servicing in their first 2 years, according to Consumer Reports) so really the best you can do is take care of it. That being said, my notebook was a few months old and the screen went on me; luckily I had Memory Express' extended warantee, so I had a new one right away. It happens. But I've worked at Staples and Futureshop, and I've seen a ton of Dell, HP, Compaq and Toshiba notebooks come in, so I can't tell you that 'getting an HP means no problems.' In fact, the most reliable compnay is Apple, I think - the review is on the net somewhere.

Anyways, shop for your features and what you want, and then check out different makers and what their prices are. Acer is nice because they are usually lower than HP and Toshiba, and much, much lower than Sony. I really like my notebook (great utilities included) so I wouldn't have a problem recommending you an Acer, provided you get a warantee
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    1994 Volvo 854T 5spd

I own that acer ferrari 4005wmLi.............. shown in the picture above. No problems whatsoever... infact it kicks this shit outta alot of the other laptops i tried out for both heavy design work and gaming. i dunno wtf you guys are talking about. entry level my ass. Every laptop manufacturer has "entry" level systems... geez.

Jeff: Just because Acer has a different market segment targetted doesn't mean it's a shitty company.

Hell, pretty much EVERY PC company has a budget-product. Take for instance nVidia and ATI. Their <$200 dollar segement is where about 75-80% of their revenue comes from ( +/- for integrated).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast