Quantcast
Clay Bar - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Clay Bar

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Default Clay Bar

Anyone know where I can get a clay bar in town, and how much they go for?
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    MDX

Canadian tire 20ish bux (mothers)

My Ride
    MDX

or the car salon off of 32ave ne
    they have the meguires ones for a bit cheaper.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Thanks!
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

just make sure that you keep the bar lubricated constantly and that you check it for sand etc so you don't turn it into sand paper

don't get carried away with it either and follow up with a good quality sealer/glaze and wax!

My Ride
    SL55- No, wait- '01 Sentra SE (SR20, baby!)

jdmakkord: Do you know the name of the car salon off 32 ave?
    I can't use Mothersover Zaino, and am in search of Eagle 1's Quick detailer.
    Thanks!
    P.S. Clay bar is the love for your car.

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

The clay bar really works! You can see it shed the old wax.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by audio1der
    jdmakkord: Do you know the name of the car salon off 32 ave?
    I can't use Mothersover Zaino, and am in search of Eagle 1's Quick detailer.
    Thanks!
    P.S. Clay bar is the love for your car.
    Its called the "car salon" they're a detail shop and a mequires dealer.

My Ride
    1990 Prelude SR, NEW JDM B20A, booyah!

Default Clay Bar

Hey I'm Gonna bust out my Newbieness again.. How do you use a clay bar to clean a car? it seems kinda counter-intuitive...
    would appreciate some knowledge.. thanks

My Ride
    Skateboard

Clay bar products are most frequently used to remove paint over spray or contamination on a car. Contamination consists of tiny metal shavings from rail dust, brake dust and industrial fallout. This contamination affects all paint finishes and can cause serious damage when left untreated. Paint contamination can be felt as a "rough or gritty" texture on the paint's surface and can lead to tiny rust spots.

There is no wax, natural or synthetic, or any chemical treatment that can prevent or protect against this contamination. Compounding with an abrasive polish may remove this contamination but it can only be performed a few times before removing too much of the top, clear coat finish.

The solution to this problem is a clay bar, which safely removes over spray, and industrial fallout by "pulling" it off the surface. What differentiates a clay bar from other abrasive polishing or compounding solutions is that it does not perform any abrasive actions.

When clay bars were brought to the United States several other usages were found for them. Clay bars were found to be effective for removing over spray, tree sap, acid rain & water spots and a variety of other surface contaminants.

Today, professional detailers and body shops use clay bars as a simple, safe way to remove over spray and surface contaminants from painted surfaces, including chrome and glass.

How to use clay bars:

The clay bars are used in conjunction with either soapy water or a spray detail product as a wetting agent for the gentle rubbing of the paint surface with the clay. This process is similar to wet sand paper procedures. Clay bars should always be used on freshly washed, clean surfaces. Dirt on the surface could cause scratches.

It is recommended you start out by working on a small area of a few square feet at a time, gliding the clay bar on the paint surface misting the paint surface with the soapy water or spray detail lubricant. At first you should feel a slight resistance on the surface when running the bar over the paint. As you go over the same area repeated times you will feel less friction until the surface glides smoothly. When the bar moves freely you are done. Wipe the surface with a clean dry towel and continue in sections until the entire vehicle is complete.

As the bar becomes soiled, simply pull, stretch and refold to expose a new, clean side. When the bar becomes totally soiled (dark colored) discard it. Typical life span of a 4 oz. bar is about 10 to 12 cars. If a bar falls on the ground immediately throw it away, and use a new bar. Failure to do so can result in scratches on your paints surface from picked up debris. Upon completion, spray the bar with lubricant and store in an airtight container or zip-lock storage bag.

If the paint is in good condition and free of scratches, proceed with your favorite wax.
    Note: Clay bars will not remove scratches, swirls or dull, oxidized paint.
    If working on an older vehicle with dull paint and/or surface swirls, follow the claying process with your favorite polish, then wax.

My Ride
    SL55- No, wait- '01 Sentra SE (SR20, baby!)

Talking

Or, you could read the back of the bottle...