best guitar solos - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: best guitar solos

My Ride
    This and that.

Slash was fuking amazing!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Pretty much any Yngwie Malmsteen solo, really. "Wield my Sword" has some sick solos.

Lindsey Buckingham's acoustic part in Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" is also one of my all-time faves.

My Ride
    DC2 SIR-G, EF CX

Originally posted by rage2

If I had to pick my ultimate top 3, it would be:

1. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child Slight Return (at Woodstock)
    2. Jimi Hendrix - Red House (at Woodstock)
    3. Jimi Hendrix - Johnny B. Goode (at Berkeley I believe)

Ya, if you want an album full of amazing solos, just grab the Hendrix Woodstock DVD (new remastered one just came out) and the 2 disc CD set. Every solo just flows perfectly, along with tons of hard to play (for me haha) techniques.

Now, if no Hendrix allowed:

1. Guns and Roses - November Rain Live (From their Live Era CD set).
    2. Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps (the one where Eric Clapton is playing)
    3. Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    I think you pretty much naild it

My Ride
    2000 323i

Slash = Freakin awesome. The November Rain and Estranged solos have so much heart in them it's insane. Slash FTW....Hendrix is fuckin great too. Malmsteen has technique like no other, but his music lacks emotion compared to Slash.
    Mike

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Nissanaddict
    Slash = Freakin awesome. The November Rain and Estranged solos have so much heart in them it's insane. Slash FTW....Hendrix is fuckin great too. Malmsteen has technique like no other, but his music lacks emotion compared to Slash.
    Totally agree, but slash's Velvet Revolver work (as well as some of the snakepit stuff he did) lacks emotion too. He only truly shined when he was with GnR.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

Eddie Van Halen - Right Now, and 5150 kick ass. Spanish Fly is and You Really Got Me are great ones. (EHV is hard to pick from...he has soo many great ones)

Metallica - I am still partial to the solo in Enter Sandman, though Sanitarium is great as well.

GNR - Sweet Child of Mine, November Rain and Patience. Paradise City has a better intro than solo

Ozzy - Over the Mountain, Bark at the Moon, and No More Tears. With Crazy Train and Flying High again running a close second.

Satriani - most of his are instrumentals but of his vocals I believe has a great solo. Always with me, Always with You and Summer Song are great instrumentals.

ZZ Top - La Grange

Clapton - His live Solos for Cocaine and Crossroads are always great.
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Nice list.. looks like some people will be busy downloading...

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

the 1st list didn't upload correctly...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Originally posted by Seanith
    the 1st list didn't upload correctly...
    Hi I know you are looking for guitar solos well my God I heard this guy from Edmonton named Brian Cherrington and he was playing in a jam session in Vancouver my god if you closed your eyes you would think he was David Gilmour. He played shine on you crazy diamond and Com numb unreal. He also played a 15 min solo on Eric Claptons Cocaine all that I can say is watch out for this guy he is fu_kin awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just reminded me of an acoustic version of 'Rebel of Yell' by Billy Idol.

Steve Stevens played it using an acoustic guitar.. OH MY @#$! GOD was it ever awesome for an acoustic!!!

From an electric guitar to acoustic, it's unbelievable.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's a really low bitrate copy of Johnny B Goode by Jimi Hendrix live. He played half the solos with his fucking teeth . It's amazing to see on video. It's on several of Jimi's compilation DVD's. The song's available on the Hendrix 4 disc boxset.

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/jbg.zip

What makes hendrix the best is that he makes great use of tones using wah, octavia, feedback... and unlike guys that just shred different scales, hendrix's stuff all flows very naturally. And it's not mechanical sounding, like the really technical players (steve vai for example).
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Heres a couple:

Joe Satriani - Taught Kirk Hammett
    Alex Skolonick - Testament and other stuff

Actually Any G3 DVD will showcase guitaring at its best right now. Lots of styles.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Totally agree, but slash's Velvet Revolver work (as well as some of the snakepit stuff he did) lacks emotion too. He only truly shined when he was with GnR.
    for sure, velvet revolver had good tracks, but i dunno if slash lost it with sobriety, or he's just going for a "different" sound. some of the stuff on contraban reminded me a bit of joe perry, but it still is pretty simple stuff for slash.

What makes hendrix the best is that he makes great use of tones using wah, octavia, feedback... and unlike guys that just shred different scales, hendrix's stuff all flows very naturally. And it's not mechanical sounding, like the really technical players (steve vai for example).

technical ability is cool but to make a really memorable solo, it really has to flow with the song, and almost tell a story in itself. thats why a lot of metallica's solo's, although badass, don't do a lot of me, same with VH
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    03 350

Unforgiven 1 and 2 solos are amazing
    One
    Sweet child of mine and november rain

ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

Van Halen - Spanish Fly (not really a song though)
    Van Halen - Hot For Teacher
    Ozzy - Mr Crowley

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by Foz
    Dyer's eve..

and Justice for All.

Sanitarium...

Hell, all Metallica songs own!

pretty much every older metallica song has amazing guitar solos, of the top of my head,:
    4 horsemen, the struggle within, creeping death, disposable heroes, battery, sanitarium, one, and the end of nothing else matters!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by finboy
    for sure, velvet revolver had good tracks, but i dunno if slash lost it with sobriety, or he's just going for a "different" sound. some of the stuff on contraban reminded me a bit of joe perry, but it still is pretty simple stuff for slash.
    I totally think it's a sobriety thing. Most of the best solos mentioned in this thread are during the guitarists alcohol or drug phases hehe.

My Ride
    jeep YJ, Dodge Caravan

Nuno Bettencourt - Midnight express
    Nuno Bettencourt - Waiting for the punchline
    Zakk Wylde - Anything from him kicks ass!

My Ride
    Audi B8.5

Here are some amazing solos/soloists:

Judas Priest - painkiller
    Iron Maiden - hallowed be thy name
    Michael Angelo Batio - anything - similar style as Yngwie
    Jeff Waters (Annihilator) - the dagger/anything
    Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) - the heart collector/anything
    Megadeth - hanger 18
    Chuck Schuldiner (Death) - crystal mountain
    Dimebag Darrel (Pantera) - cemetary gates
    Chistofer Malmstrom (Darkane) - third

Most of you probably haven't heard of these guitarists but I highly recommend you check them out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast