Quantcast
Becoming a welder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a welder

My Ride
    '95 Talon ESi-T

Default Becoming a welder

Hey guys,
    for quite sometime now I've wanted to get into welding but I'm kind of stuck on how to approach this properly. I'm looking to do some MIG and then perferablly TIG in the future.

I figure I could just go apply at a local shop as a helper and then move up with hard work..

or

goto school and learn to weld that way.
    I prefer the non-school method, but anyone have any input on this? I took some basic oxy-acetelyne welding in highschool and did a little mig welding here and there, but nothing serious.

TIA.

My Ride
    car

To become a certified welder, u would have to either take a pre-employment at sait (which gives you a primer to be hired as a apprentice), or find a employer that will let u apprentice with them. You do work periods, and take a bit of technical training every year at a tech institute ie. sait/nait. I think most apprenterships are 4 years, so every year u take tests and such to proceed to the next year.

Anyways, u can't just start at a shop and "work" your way up since most welding requires one to be certified in what your welding...which will most likley be oil/gas or structural related.
    I'm no expert about this...what i said is from what i'v read...u can find out more on www.tradesecrets.org Hope this helps.

My Ride
    '95 Talon ESi-T

that website helps a lot. I guess I'm gonna have to find a shop that is willing to hire me as an apprentice and go from there with filling out the forms and such.

thanks.

My Ride
    Acura Integra

Default Good Job!

I work as a geologist up in fort mac, and I know a welder getting 35 buc a hour!!! More than I make, thats for sure.
    Go to school, do your thing, and get a pressure B ticket, and your laughing.

I know a welder who makes about 300+HR ... But you also need to be a master scuba diver ... But if you want huge money , become an underwater welder , HUGEE demand for them on the rigs.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

Default Re: Becoming a welder

Originally posted by motion
    Hey guys,
    for quite sometime now I've wanted to get into welding but I'm kind of stuck on how to approach this properly. I'm looking to do ZERO MIG and then perferablly TIG in the future.

I figure I could just go apply at a local shop as a helper and then move up with hard work..

or

goto school and learn to weld that way.
    I prefer the non-school method, but anyone have any input on this? I took some basic oxy-acetelyne welding in highschool and did a little mig welding here and there, but nothing serious.

TIA.
    first off, you really dont want to waste your time with mig, tig welds are alot stronger then migs and a mig, the retarded guy at my work gets to play with the mig welder.... the one armed guy can do better then that.

local shop helpers dont do very much welding, theres a big chance youll be pulling cords, picking up sticks, or the big one, Grinding. if you wanna weld, the best way to learn is joing a local and get into a fab shop. its the non-school way too (kinda) you put in your hours, around 1560 and then you go to school for 8 weeks (sait, nait, GP, and i think theres one other school in alberta). after that you can get your journeyman, CWB, and a B pressure (for doing piping and boilers)

if you can oxy acetelyne weld your already building the basis for tig... best thing i can say

Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
    I know a welder who makes about 300+HR ... But you also need to be a master scuba diver ... But if you want huge money , become an underwater welder , HUGEE demand for them on the rigs.
    theres only one drawback and that is that your life excpectancy gets cut in half, sometimes more.

*EDIT* i didnt realize you were in edmonton, phone 488-1266, tell them that you were interested in being a welder and would like to pick up the study books and practice exams, drive down there (its just off of 170th) keep your books till the next exam (fridiay) write it and then start going to call out.

Best way for a welder to start in edmonton
    Last edited by Rockski; 02-16-2006 at 04:58 AM.

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

Default Re: Good Job!

Originally posted by PaPa LuV
    I work as a geologist up in fort mac, and I know a welder getting 35 buc a hour!!! More than I make, thats for sure.
    Go to school, do your thing, and get a pressure B ticket, and your laughing.
    Thats it!!! you can make that in a fab shop in edmonton...
    Rig welders in fort mac are around 80 to 100+ an hour

As for your life getting cut in half, that depends on you, stay hydrated and get a welding helmet with a air filtration system, common sence is all you need.

But go to school and get your tickets weld for a solid 10 years and then you can pretty much do whatever you want, tig or mig whatever you want, but chances are you will get money hungry and follow the money.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Good Job!

Originally posted by RawB8figure

As for your life getting cut in half, that depends on you, stay hydrated and get a welding helmet with a air filtration system, common sence is all you need.
    how is that gonna help you with nitrogen in your brain? the life expectancy thing is because of the pressurizing and depresurizing and the like

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Default Re: Re: Becoming a welder

Originally posted by Rockski

first off, you really dont want to waste your time with mig, tig welds are alot stronger then migs and a mig, the retarded guy at my work gets to play with the mig welder.... the one armed guy can do better then that.

Yeah thats why they use GMAW for structural, cuz its so weak. GTAW is cosmetically better, and often is a better weld quality. However there are limitations to every process, even TIG. GMAW(MIG) is very good to learn on, is cost effective and efficient.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Becoming a welder

Originally posted by Primer_Drift

Yeah thats why they use GMAW for structural, cuz its so weak. GTAW is cosmetically better, and often is a better weld quality. However there are limitations to every process, even TIG. GMAW(MIG) is very good to learn on, is cost effective and efficient.
    and the reason GMAW is used for structral is because you dont get the penetration that you do with GTAW, thats exactly why its used in structrual instead of being used in boilers, cokers and pipe lines... when they do a weld test for the iron workers, you get a piece of flat pipe and a stick, and you have to run a nice bead. when you test for the boiler makers or pipe fitters you get a extra heavy peice of pipe, and you have to tig root it, then stick it... then they cut it in half and bend it 180* each way (in and out) if it cracks on either bend you fail your test. its just cause the tig can withstand more tensile units of pressure

Default Re: Re: Re: Good Job!

how is that gonna help you with nitrogen in your brain? the life expectancy thing is because of the pressurizing and depresurizing and the like

????what????

Im not talking scott paks.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

and the reason GMAW is used for structral is because you dont get the penetration that you do with GTAW, thats exactly why its used in structrual instead of being used in boilers, cokers and pipe lines... when they do a weld test for the iron workers, you get a piece of flat pipe and a stick, and you have to run a nice bead. when you test for the boiler makers or pipe fitters you get a extra heavy peice of pipe, and you have to tig root it, then stick it... then they cut it in half and bend it 180* each way (in and out) if it cracks on either bend you fail your test. its just cause the tig can withstand more tensile units of pressure

True on single sided root welds GTAW will produce a better weld (higher penetration, low hydrogen)... but mechanized GMAW is still very widely used for pipeline construction. To discount a process completely (the process for the retarded guy at your work to use) is a bit assinine... especially when it is one of the more common production processes.

my buddy actually got hired a year and a half ago by just going to a shop and asking to be hired as an apprentice without any previous experience. he isnt planning on going back to school and his employers dont seem to mind since they have to pay for his schooling if he decides to go. he is getting paid around 16 dollars/hour now so maybe it will work for you.
    Big pimpiiiinnnnnnnnn

My Ride
    '95 Talon ESi-T

thanks for the replies guys. I called that number that Rockski left and left them a message. I think I'm gonna pickup those books and go from there.

I appreciate all the feedback, thanks for you input.

My Ride

Originally posted by Primer_Drift

True on single sided root welds GTAW will produce a better weld (higher penetration, low hydrogen)... but mechanized GMAW is still very widely used for pipeline construction. To discount a process completely (the process for the retarded guy at your work to use) is a bit assinine... especially when it is one of the more common production processes.

fair enough, ill retract my previous statement about the retarded fellow at work (although it is pure truth). although mig is less popular with piping then you think... i mean im sure you could use it if your setting up a school sprinkler system, but sure as hell not when your building a fucking plant... it is common, but its only practicality is for structrual and automotive. if your doing a shut down your deffinatly going to be using a tig because a tig weld isnt nearly as brittle.

My Ride

Originally posted by motion
    thanks for the replies guys. I called that number that Rockski left and left them a message. I think I'm gonna pickup those books and go from there.

I appreciate all the feedback, thanks for you input.
    call tomorrow sometime before 4

best time to be there is at 9am

Default Re: Re: Good Job!

Originally posted by RawB8figure

Thats it!!! you can make that in a fab shop in edmonton...
    Rig welders in fort mac are around 80 to 100+ an hour

But go to school and get your tickets weld for a solid 10 years and then you can pretty much do whatever you want, tig or mig whatever you want, but chances are you will get money hungry and follow the money.
    Why does everyone associate rigs with ft mac? Almost, all oil produced is from open pit mining.

You only make $80 if you subcontract, meaning if you have your own truck.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Good Job!

Originally posted by redx2nv

Why does everyone associate rigs with ft mac? Almost, all oil produced is from open pit mining.

You only make $80 if you subcontract, meaning if you have your own truck.
    cause fort mac is where the oil rigs are
    same as the production plants, but nobody unless theyre in the business knows what a "shut down" is... so they think that the best thing out there since autistic children is a rig (which in many cases, not every but many, is)

I meant rig as in your own welding rig. Truck with welder in the back.

But some guys I know just left my company and are getting paid 110 an hour.

If you are going to be welding why not make as much as you can while the money is here. Why would you not have a truck and go subcontract.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast