Quantcast
Possible setup to get scammed or just good eBay deal? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible setup to get scammed or just good eBay deal?

Default Possible setup to get scammed or just good eBay deal?

So I bid on some 18" Nismo LMGT4 rims and Pilotsport tires with less than 1000 miles on them on eBay. The highest I bid was $1150 USD because I forgot about the auction.

Yesterday I received a second chance email from eBay saying to contact the seller.

I contacted him and asked him how much he'll sell them for including shipping to Canada.

He replied and said he will sell and include shipping for my last bid price of $1150 USD Which is a REALLY good deal, since the same setup new would probably cost me .... $4000 CDN or more.

Now... does this sound like a scam? The price is a bit too low now.. and it's the second time they've been listed.

He said he will contact eBay to do the transaction through them.

What's his feedback like? In my experience if something is too good to be true, it usually is. I've been scammed a couple times on ebay now...

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

some items on ebay do sell really cheap, I personally don't have a single bad experience with ebay. Never heard of anything like this before though

My Ride
    F150, Dieselgate Jetta, Mustang

I have found tons of fradulent scams on there, and reported them to ebay. Attach the link to the item for us. Also, what did his e-mail say, attach the text. Where is he from, what mode of payment, etc etc. Ebay has some really good info on identifying scams on the site, check it out. Ask him to send you some pics, usually these guys only have one pic, or pics from a flyer. Be careful.......

I was just looking through my emails and I did contact the seller previously for shipping info.. and the emails don't match at all. I think it's a scam. time to have fun wasting someones time. heh

The email that responded originally from the shipping question was a comcast email address. The emails that contacted me were from Yahoo and a Proxy AOL connection.

And the response I got through eBay was signed Carl, the new one I got was from "Tony"

duhr :P

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Post the link.

The link was just to the ebay auction I lost.

So the names are different, email addresses the email I received is crap also since it's from a yahoo account. (lol?) From a proxy AOL connection.
    I hope he can't do anything with just my mailing address hehehe.
    I'll see what else this prick wants to do when he replies. :P
    I wasn't even near being the highest bidder.

I dub thee a scam.
    Too bad, $1150 would have been a good price heh.
    Last edited by rith; 02-23-2006 at 11:57 PM.

and plus, I'm not too familiar with eBay but I'm pretty sure the second chance offers should be listed through ebay.. thats what kind of made me thought this was a scam..

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

I'm not sure on this one....

But yes, when and if you want to accept the second chance offer, it will be through ebay. Basically whatever the second chance price is, it'll be on the auction as a Buy It Now.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Also, why would the THREE other highest bidder refuse to second chance offeR? If he asked them (unless they were bumping up the bid for him).

I really don't have a clue mate.

I'm 110% positive this is a scam now. So I'm going to waste this guys time. :P

Second chance offer is only available at first, to the 2nd highest bidder. When someone sends a second chance offer, that means that the high bidder was unable to pay for the item. The guy has some decent feedback, I see no worry about buying these wheels from him.

I'm labelling this as a scam because.

1) There were 2 other people that bid higher than me
    2) Email came from "Tony" and not "Carl" as in the original contact I had with him
    3) email from the second chance was a completely different Yahoo email address, Ebay contact email was a comcast email address
    4) Second Chance email didn't have my full name in the email as all of my other emails have had from eBay.
    5) Second Chance email was sent directly from Yahoo and not ebay.

unless I see a contact from eBay from the eBay seller this second chance email is bs.

Originally posted by Vypros
    Second chance offer is only available at first, to the 2nd highest bidder. When someone sends a second chance offer, that means that the high bidder was unable to pay for the item. The guy has some decent feedback, I see no worry about buying these wheels from him.
    Last edited by rith; 02-23-2006 at 12:51 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Go to your "my ebay" link at the top... log in... click on the "message" link on the left hand side.

If you really got the second chance offer if should be listed there (not possitive, but it should be)

Also go the auction page and request the sellers info... email him on the email address ebay has on file and ask him whats up, I bet he has no clue what your talking about and that the origonal buyer has the rims.

And like others have said, second chance offer is only for 2nd highest bidder.

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Go to your "my ebay" link at the top... log in... click on the "message" link on the left hand side.

If you really got the second chance offer if should be listed there (not possitive, but it should be)

Also go the auction page and request the sellers info... email him on the email address ebay has on file and ask him whats up, I bet he has no clue what your talking about and that the origonal buyer has the rims.

And like others have said, second chance offer is only for 2nd highest bidder.
    yeah there is nothing inside my ebay. So I'm just going to screw with whoever is emailing me. :P

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

see if they have paypal, if they do ... get the email address to paypal and report him as fraud.

I had something like this, the e-mail was spelt a bit differently .. it was for a camera ..

guy wanted Money Transfer via western canadian (or whatever it is) ... something not guaranteed either way.

I ended up reporting to e-bay and the original seller to post a beware in his future advertisements.
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    335i

Likely a scam. Contact the high bidder and see if he followed through with the deal.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Yeah, I got another email from the scammer. Here is what he sent. I looked up "aw-confirm" on google (yay google)
    And aw-confirm comes up as an ebay scam. It's basically an account phisher.

Time to have fun then report it to ebay after. :P

"Thank you.
    I'll contact ebay right now about our deal. If everything will be ok, they will contact you, and you will receive the aw-confirm email regarding our deal. You will know all the details to complete this transaction in safe mode. Let me know when you receive the the aw-confirm e-mail from ebay, and also when you will be able to complete the deal.
    Thanks again."

My Ride
    FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY > ALL

good deal + western union = scam

My Ride
    Porsche 911 Cab

Check out this site:

http://www.scam.com/

This site has all the scams you ever wanted to know about!

And this site:

http://www.419eater.com/

The scammers get scammed!! haahhaa!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast