Quantcast
Wireless B vs Wireless G Technology? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wireless B vs Wireless G Technology?

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Default Wireless B vs Wireless G Technology?

Is there a noticable difference between these two formats?

Say I am using Telus ADSL, would I notice a change if I had B instead of G used for my wireless router.

I am not interested in wireless networking, only getting the signal from my wireless router to my pc.

any thoughts on the matter appreciated.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

saying how the fastest affordable internet u can buy is 7mbps (shaw extreme) even a wireless b (11mbps under perfect conditions) is not being fully utilized. So getting wireless g if your not doing anything more then just internet is not necessary

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Thats what i was thinking,

its kinda like downloading really high bitrate music, no speakers can replicate the supposed high quility so its almost pointless to dl in the best quality.

thanks alot for the reply eblend!
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

I believe that there is also better stability on the higher end. I'm not sure about B vs G, but I do believe that A has better stability than both of them.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

packet size is another factor in the b vs g speed

i cant wait for 802.11n, i think they've established the model, so now they're in the final stages of implementing and testing

Originally posted by chong_wallace
    packet size is another factor in the b vs g speed

i cant wait for 802.11n, i think they've established the model, so now they're in the final stages of implementing and testing
    thats the one where its proving to be as fast as a wired connection right? in other words its mimo?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

802.11a > 802.11b/g

I've worked with a LOT of wireless equipment, primarily 802.11 stuff, but even some proprietary stuff.
    That said, the backbones on the networks I have built are primarily 802.11a, when that is not possible, it's always 802.11g

The problem with g is it requires far greater signal strength than either a or b.

With DSL, your down-stream throughput is limited to far below the maximum speed for 802.11b, and so long as you are connected at 11mbps, you won't know the difference between 802.11b or 802.11g at 54mbps.
    However, with the g, you will notice that most of the time you are not connected at full speed, and will always curse the equipment manufacturer.... been there a few times

If you have an 802.11b router, and are considering upgrading, hoping to surf the web faster: don't bother.
    If you want to know whether you should or not, hit ctrl-alt-del, and go to network monitor. If you are frequently over 75% utilization, upgrade.

That said, if you don't presently have a router, g routers are just as cheap as b routers.

The only time you will see a difference is if you are copying files between computers.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by AJL

thats the one where its proving to be as fast as a wired connection right? in other words its mimo?
    No.

Multiple In Multiple Out (MIMO) is not the same as n. And also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but n is a long ways off. They have not fully agreed to all the criteria for n, but I believe Broadcom or AOpen or someone is jumping the gun and promising N products late this year, but that is before they have set the compliance standards on everything. That won't happen for awhile more, even though the early company is basically promising that their products will be or can be made compatible with any changes to the technology later on.

I read this in a news article a few weeks ago, but haven't been able to track it down yet...

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

though the max you can get isp wise is 7mbps, when you do data transferes from one computer to another through a network, you will see a difference. big files can mean as much a difference as a few minutes or even half an hour if the files big enough.

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

^^^ gr zero 102 beat me to it lol

Originally posted by HyperZell

No.

Multiple In Multiple Out (MIMO) is not the same as n. And also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but n is a long ways off. They have not fully agreed to all the criteria for n, but I believe Broadcom or AOpen or someone is jumping the gun and promising N products late this year, but that is before they have set the compliance standards on everything. That won't happen for awhile more, even though the early company is basically promising that their products will be or can be made compatible with any changes to the technology later on.

I read this in a news article a few weeks ago, but haven't been able to track it down yet...
    hmm, that's weird,
    i recall reading an article stating that they have narrowed the compliance down to 2 different procedures.

and a more recent document was stating that they've chosen one of the 2 to do testing on...etc

but knowing an industry that's full of delays and empty promises, im' sure you have a valid point

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

What they said, whenever I've been copying between computers I wanted to shoot myself when I had my b router.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/sto...story_id=41236

Not the article I was looking for, but it does allude to some of the points I was making. The industry is having a war over complaince standards, and early adopters might get screwed over in the process.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

When comparing B vs G, remember that 11mbps for B and 54mbps for G is in OPTIMAL conditions only. It's rare to see it with so much 2.4ghz interference around you. Since every 2.4ghz wi-fi you buy today is G, makes no sense to go to B.

Also, G has much better latency than B, especially when traffic is flowing through.

And yes, A is much better, especially since not much runs in the A spectrum, but a lot of people (including myself) don't like having addon PCMCIA cards on laptops hanging out and draining battery when B/G is pretty much built into every laptop. Very few laptop choices with built in A.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

In my experience, I've used both B and G, and have noticed little difference, but my dad could not run streaming video on his laptop and telus ADSL line....He insisted it was the B router, and I fought him on it tooth and nail ( 1.5Mb telus thru 11Mb router? no problem right?).......Anyhow, he bought a G router (same time as mine) and sure enough, with G networking it worked flawlessly on the same ISP (he had to purchase a new card, his lappy is built in B, mine built in G)......Voodoo I tell ya
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

The only difference between B and G (if you're on anything less than a T1/T3/Fiber Optic Line) is inter-network transfer speeds.

So you'll see an improvement sending your files downstairs, but other than that, nothing.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

T1 = 4.54mbps, 802.11 B is still more than capable
    In all seriousness though, if you notice an internet speed increase going to a 802.11 G router, something else was wrong.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

The B router must've sucked hardcore.

11mbps is hardly a sustainable speed, even if you're on a T1 it's better to avoid any conflicts and avoid a 802.11b

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Like I said earlier, unless u live on a farm with zero interference you won't get full speed on either B or G. So it's entirely possible that switching from B to G will get better internet speeds.

BTW - full T1 = 1.544mbps, full T3 = 45mbps. Those lines are pretty much just used for phone circuits nowadays. Everyone gets their bandwidth from fiber, which is much easier to scale.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

again, I didn't believe it till it worked.....
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info