Quantcast
gauges are so expensive!!!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gauges are so expensive!!!!

My Ride
    TurboII

Default gauges are so expensive!!!!

besides the need for accuracy in tuning, how do you guys justify spending $200+ for a SINGLE gauge (GReddy & HKS come to mind....)
    I can understand the need for good gauges if you're running 28psi and are on the edge of blowing up...

but for someone (me) who has a bone stock car with no real plans for increasing power, do i NEED $300 GReddy/HKS gauges?
    or could I go with ones such as VDO (inexpensive like autometer but more accurate)?

I can't think of any reasons why I would need more than just Boost/Water Temp/EGT as well.

What do you guys think? Get some ok gauges to keep an eye on things or spend hundreds of dollars for top-end gauges?

for bling factor? I can't justify spending that much on gauges myself.

yeah
    and it really starts to add up when you have to do a custom gauge cluster... :o

Cheap gauges are just decorations, might as well stay with the stock ones. Or if you want to look cool with gauges just buy the ones at crappy tire.

My Ride
    SL55- No, wait- '01 Sentra SE (SR20, baby!)

Question

Are Autometer really not that accurate?

Dirty_SOHC is offline 0.2 liters away from a good engine
    My Ride
    WRX

Compared to HKS and Delphi gauges which are way more accurate. I need somre more HKS Archie

Originally posted by Ven
    Cheap gauges are just decorations, might as well stay with the stock ones. Or if you want to look cool with gauges just buy the ones at crappy tire.
    we're not talking about tachs. You can't really use a stock boost or air fuel gauge if your car doesn't have one.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by Ven
    Dude, we all know how shitty the mk3 supra boost gauges are. It shows boost on or off, to hell with psi levels.

I'd never use VDO or Autometer, they're cheap for a reason. A while back AutoSpeed did a great gauge comparison article on most all gauges. The cheap gauges a as high as >11% off, that's totally unacceptable for a gauge, might as well carve one out of wood. Omori, Greddy, HKS, always score the highest.

Like I said before if you want gauges because they look cool then just get cheap ones and ignore them, if you actually care about what's going on with your engine and want accurate information then pay up sucka.

Originally posted by jdmakkord

Dude, we all know how shitty the mk3 supra boost gauges are. It shows boost on or off, to hell with psi levels.
    Ya that's right, just a decoration, same like all the OEM gauges in most cars . It looks cool when people test drive the car nothing else. That's why I invested in good gauges.

Originally posted by buh_buh
    we're not talking about tachs. You can't really use a stock boost or air fuel gauge if your car doesn't have one.
    Then you have 3 choices.

No gauges/ No information

Cheap gauges/ Corrupt information, might as well have no gauges.

Good gauges/ Accurate, reliable information.

Tach, oil pressure, boost, water temp, A/F, whatever. Do you want to know what the values actually are, or not?

My Ride
    2010 Genesis Coupe

id rather have slightly inaccurate information than none at all, at least then you have some idea of what your cars doing.

My Ride
    CTS-V (700+Hp), Supercharged Tundra, 1970 vette

I doubt autometer gauges are that bad. Look at any NHRA drag car or any nascar or something like that. Ever see a greddy or hks gauge in one of those They all use autometer as far as i can tell so they can't be that bad. Thats why i bought autometer.

My Ride
    MDX

theres a huge difference between the autometer we see and may buy, and the high end autometer used by racers.

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

Everyone thinks autometer is shit because all people bye is the cheapest ones usually. There are good autometer gauges too.

Originally posted by 02bump'nWRX
    I doubt autometer gauges are that bad. Look at any NHRA drag car or any nascar or something like that. Ever see a greddy or hks gauge in one of those They all use autometer as far as i can tell so they can't be that bad. Thats why i bought autometer.
    Haha that's the marketing machine at work. "If it's in a NASCAR ride it's gotta be awesome" Christ they put a NASCAR logo on EVERYTHING now, it's all marketing, making the mental connection between the racetrack and the consumer. jdmakkord said it perfetcly, the gauges in those vehicles aren't off the shelf, they are supplied blueprinted units that have also been worked over and tested by crew chiefs and techs, those gauges are perfected.

Ever see Autometer in any of the cars racing at high levels in Japan? I don't think using Japanese gauges and electronics in a NASCAR race car would go over with the other American suppliers and the fans, & vice versa.

For off the shelf consumer gauges VDO and Autometer get walked on. Another example of getting what you pay for. The tests are out there if you care to look.

My Ride
    TurboII

Ven: i've heard nothing but praise about VDO, they DO supply their gauges for Porsche, Audi, Saab, etc

My Ride
    CTS-V (700+Hp), Supercharged Tundra, 1970 vette

Ok well if the nascar gauges are different thats fine. But if you pick up a copy of chevy high performance, vette, 5.0L, mopar, etc.... I have never seen any different gauges in cars than autometers. My question is if autometer is such crap and someone with a domestic needs a good gauge what do they buy? It certainly won't be a greddy or hks. What other options are there?

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

I'm picking up these puppies on Monday!!

My Ride
    TurboII

Crxguy: how much & where did you get those Omori's?
    plus, what color do they light up!??!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast