Quantcast
Vehicle Modifications: Wondering what is legal and what is not? Your Answers Are Here - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Vehicle Modifications: Wondering what is legal and what is not? Your Answers Are Here

My Ride
    2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus

Originally posted by r32skyline15
    are these said marker lights illegal to have color bulbs in? any reference to the law on this would be appreciated

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Pretty sure blue bulbs are illegal all together.

Originally posted by Unknown303
    Yeah markers have to be amber/yellow/orange... somewhere in that part of the color spectrum I believe.
    So, short answer, Yup, blue bulbs are illegal... Not just because of all the colour regulations specified in this thread (and in the Traffic Safety Act itself) but also because as far as i am aware (did research many years ago, so it may have changed) red and blue are considered "restricted" colours for the front of a vehicle, and blue is restricted for the rear. Now, I also remember reading that some provinces have also restricted the use of green lights as well, reserving that colour for volunteer fire departments, with the intended purpose being that a volunteer firefighter can use such a light to REQUEST permission from other drivers to allow them to cross against right-of-way and to REQUEST drivers to pull to the side and allow them safe passage. Difference is that on red and blue lights are used to COMPEL drivers to do that, IE: still voluntary, but way less so. Course, i should probably also point out that if that particular officer is having a REALLY bad day (or you start acting like a lippy little dipstick) he CAN charge you with Impersonating a peace officer...
    Canadian Criminal Code Citation:
    Personating peace officer

130. (1) Everyone commits an offence who

(a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or

(b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be.
    Punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 130;
    2009, c. 28, s. 2.
    Now, i will grant you that you would have to be a complete moron to believe that a police department IN NORTH AMERICA would use acura's, honda's and nissan's for traffic duty, but then again, look at some of the idiots on alberta roads...
    Cars:
    Tuxedo Black 2012 Ford Focus
    Copper Metallic 1984 Mustang

Originally posted by carson blocks

The Greenpeace chopper runs on smug, harvested from free-range organic grain-fed hippies.

2+ year bump - why?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by speedog
    2+ year bump - why?
    why not?

he could have started a new thread if you like that option better...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Well it is interesting how beyond, as a rule, seems critical of some bumps and not others. Even more interesting considering that nothing new was added to the thread and as such, as he wasn't posing a question, what would've been the value of starting a new thread - just to enlighten us with something that appears to already have been settled?

Never the less, bump away - let's go for ten years.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus

My reason for the bump had nothing to do with a 2year gap, and was pretty much a more direct answer to the question asked by r32skyline15 regarding the legality of blue lights, particularily the part about providing references to applicable laws, thats all. Of course, the fact this thread was stickied at the very top also pointed it out to me...
    Cars:
    Tuxedo Black 2012 Ford Focus
    Copper Metallic 1984 Mustang

Originally posted by carson blocks

The Greenpeace chopper runs on smug, harvested from free-range organic grain-fed hippies.

Never mind then as I didn't notice it was stickied.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Tundra, Z1000

A few things here, as there's tons of misinformation.

The exhaust part is talking about MODIFYING your existing exaust.

i.e. you CAN NOT cut open your factory muffler, remove baffles, rivet it back together, and fart your way down the road. You also can not remove the muffler completely.

If you put on an aftermarket muffler, that is fine - it is made that way from the factory. Inlet and outlet size shouldn't matter either, so long as it isn't modified from how it was created originally.

As for the guy who got a ticket for a 3" in/out... my guess is, the car is louder than f**k and the cop didn't like it. There are noise bylaws that prohibit you from operating a vehicle that makes too much noise. Often aren't enforced unless you're being a douche, but sometimes a cop has an itch to scratch, and you're right there.

I know this from dealing with cars and motorcycles - it's not illegal at all to install an aftermarket Akro or Hindle or whatever exhaust on your bike, but you damn sure can't pop the rivets on the can, pull the packing/baffles out, rivet it back, and ride on your merry way (not legally anyways). The other side of that coin is, if the modification isn't obvious, they're not likely to be able to tell. If it's worth the risk, go for it.

Best advice is to get a GOOD exhaust that isn't annoying or obnoxious and not to drive like a tool bag. Drive like you don't want to be noticed, and you won't be. These retards driving their civics and hyundai's around in 1st gear, buzzing in and out of lanes, and generally acting a fool... those are the guys the cops go after.

As for headlights, any non DOT certified assembly is illegal. Hands down. Get caught with it and it's a fine, and possibly a vehicle inspection (quite likely, given it's a light).

For bulbs, the ricer blue/white/purple ones that have a coating on the bulb are ILLEGAL. Not only that, they reduce your light output and make you look like a knob.

Here is one section from the Alberta Vehicle Equipment Reg:

(5) A person shall not attach or apply anything that colours the
    light from a headlamp to the headlamp, part of the headlamp or a
    bulb in the headlamps.

For HID's, the "drop in" HID "kits" that are simply a HID bulb with a 9006 (or other) base put onto it are ILLEGAL. When installed into a regular housing, that housing is no longer DOT compliant, because it was designed for another type of bulb. Furthermore, it is stupid. The reflector in a halogen-type headlight assembly is designed to reflect light coming from a very specific location on the bulb itself. Moving that location even a few millimeters changes the way the light is reflected and can very easily blind other drivers. Every time I see someone driving with one of those kits on their vehicle, I put on my high beams AS WELL AS all four 100 watt off road lights, just to let them know how it feels to be blinded by an idiot.

If you want HID's in your vehicle, do it right, and retro fit it. It is legal grey area, depending on the type of headlight you use to retrofit. If you don't cut up a factory one, and simply shoe-horn it in, then you're fine for sure. if you cut up a factory headlight, and use the projector from it, then you're VERY LIKELY illegal, technically, as your headlight assembly is no longer DOT compliant. But (big but), it's not obnoxious, not blinding, and actually lights up the road FAR better than a drop in HID or the factory halogens, and it blinds people FAR less than either of the other two. I've done that retrofit on my truck, and while yes, I'm risking the cops not liking it, I've never had a problem with it, never been flashed before (except when I'm making a point to the drop-in idiots), and I've had cops look at, and notice, the "cool HID headlights" on my truck twice.

As for signal lights, if you use the clear corners type thing, make sure they are DOT, and if they're not, they're illegal. If they're not DOT, make sure they are bright and not obnoxious, and you'll likely be left alone. If you have blue or green lights in them, you're a damn fool and deserve the ticket you get. If you have red lights (even in the signals) on the front of the vehicle in any way (i.e. visible from the front, except for lights that wrap around slightly on the rear), they are illegal, and you'll likely get a ticket.

Blue lights, green lights, yellow lights, whatever.... here is what it says about colored lights:

Colour
    17(1) A lamp on the rear of a vehicle must emit red light unless
    this Regulation permits another colour.

13(2) Back-up lamps that are lit only when a vehicle is backing up
    may emit white light.

It does not say anything about those stupid looking blue washer sprayer lights, or any other blue lights. It is stupid, and annoying, but I don't see anything in the law about forward facing blue/green/purple whatever lights. Your signal lights must be amber (i.e. they CAN NOT be white/blue/purple/green/penis colored) on the front and red or amber on the back (i.e. they can not be white/blue/purple/green/penis colored). As long as your turn signals are the correct color, you shouldn't run afoul of the law by putting ugly blue accent lights on the front of the vehicle.

As for underbody lights, I didn't find anything about it. I may have missed something, and maybe those ugly accent lights along with underbody lights are illegal... this i'm open to correction on.
    Tundra, Z1000

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5