Quantcast
Opinions on '02 Elantra GT - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Opinions on '02 Elantra GT

My Ride
    BMW E70

Default Opinions on '02 Elantra GT

Okay, long story short- I got into an at-fault accident a few months back so my insurance is sky high. I need a new car and don't want to deal with car payments.

I looked at the 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (5-door) and with 5-speed, leather, power sunroof, TCS, etc it was about $20,620 plus taxes. And it was a nice driving car. I've talked with a few people who have of had Hyundai's recently and they had no problems, what do you guys think?

Also, any alternatives? I am considering a 98+ Maxima SE and Accord EX (but haven't been able to find one for sale). I need to have 5 speed, leather and a sunroof. And- it has to have atleast 4 doors.

Thanks guys.

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Honestly... i really like the new Hyundai's.. they look good and they seem to hold up well now.. (unlike the pony).. the Hyundai Elantra GT is a very nice car and i would drive one if i had the money..
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    335i

I know this is typical, but be careful about build quality. Do your research and check out typical problems with these cars. Their reputation sucks (ex-hyundai owner, not anymore...ever). They have made progress i've heard, but not enough to bring me back.

I think you should stick it out for the accord/maxima. Beautiful cars.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Rx-7

my friend's family has a brand new elantra after he wrote-off their other one. all in all, they're pretty decent cars. they'll get you where you want to go. they're nothing special, but they've really stepped up the quality in the last couple of years. i can tell the difference between a 1999 and a 2002 and trust me, it's HUGE. i'd go for it.

My Ride
    BMW E70

Thanks for the replies guys, I've read that they've come ALONG way in the past few years. The only thing holding me back was Hyundai's reputation. I'm 80% sure I'm going for it, just wanted some outside opinions. Thanks!

How about the new Tiburon? Not a fan of Hyundai at ALL, but I really like the new Tiburon design (Took some notes from the Supra mixed with a little Ferrari aerodynamics).

My Ride
    BMW E70

My insurance on the Tiburon is insane. Way too high for me Thanks for the suggestion though...

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Default Re: Opinions on '02 Elantra GT

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
    Okay, long story short- I got into an at-fault accident a few months back so my insurance is sky high. I need a new car and don't want to deal with car payments.

I looked at the 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (5-door) and with 5-speed, leather, power sunroof, TCS, etc it was about $20,620 plus taxes. And it was a nice driving car. I've talked with a few people who have of had Hyundai's recently and they had no problems, what do you guys think?

Also, any alternatives? I am considering a 98+ Maxima SE and Accord EX (but haven't been able to find one for sale). I need to have 5 speed, leather and a sunroof. And- it has to have atleast 4 doors.

Thanks guys.
    Dude... need I say more??? Buy a VeeDub man!! I did!

Peter

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I see a Elantra GT in my building all the time, super nice looking car. Much nicer looking than the pregnant focii (ZX5). I don't know what the reliability on those cars is, but it can only be better than what they were offering in the 80s. And besides, the warranty is very good.

My Ride
    BMW E70

I read a whole bunch of auto magazine write ups on the Elantra today, and they all remarked about how far Hyundai has come the past few years. They thought the Elantra GT had many features other cars in its class don't have (Traction Control, Speed sensitive steering, rear multi-link suspension)
    So I think I'm gonna go for it, thanks for all your replies, you guys rock!