Quantcast
Remember the BMW "sock in my head" kid - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Remember the BMW "sock in my head" kid

My Ride
    Volvo, '84 764ti, '79 242GT

Default Remember the BMW "sock in my head" kid

Who here remembers the BMW driver who used a sock for his oil filler cap?

If not...here's the backstory...

if all you are going to do is flame me, just leave the thread and thats that. I ****ed up badly the other night. The oil light came on, i got oil, put it in and accidently dropped the oil cap down below the engine. heres where i ****ed up- i temporarily plugged the uncapped oil hole with a sock and the sock got sucked into it after about 5 mins of driving. its wrapped around the cam shaft-im pretty sure thats what it is... and i need some advice on how to get it out without shelling a shitload of money out to bmw to take it in there. should i unbolt the top piece there and cut it out and then flush the whole thing with some stuff at kragen or just try to cut it out piece by piece through the hole with a sharp razor and take the pieces out with needle nose pliers and then flush it?

please any advice or help on this crap move i made would really really really help me out.

thanks to anyone who replies
    anyway...on a Volvo forum one of our members posted this...quite the reminder to everyone to make sure you put your cap back on!!!

Story: the car loses oil about a quart every 2 months. I havent exactly figured the problem out but it was really low the night before so I had to do something. I went outside to the garage and saw my 242. It was a sweet reunion, got one of my many quarts of 10W-40 sitting in the trunk to put most of it in the 244 before heading to my old highschool to pay them a visit. So, of course, I forget to cap the valve cover, and off I go. The car was driven from 10:30-1:45ish. Probally 35miles total. Saw high rpms, alot of highspeed cornering. a block from home I start smelling oil. Didnt see any smoke so I ignored it. Got out, see some smoke creeping from the bonnet. I open, waiting to see the cause of this problem, blown seal (front, cam), spun oil filter anything was game. And, lo and behold. My dumass forgot to cap the oil fill. Car never went low enough to set off the dummy light (i know it works haha) no knocking, everything is fine. I was very happy that I had decided to put in that full quart of oil instead of 1/2 of it .

Also, i dont think i would have been this lucky if it was the Turbo. Would have likely caught fire (like it did the last time oil and my exhaust manifold kissed). N/A powar, and low friction b230ftw. Towery is so right about that, i had that oil light lit up so many times on accelerating and cornering for days. The motor has about 210K on it. Only sound I hear is the wonderful pistion slap she has always made at a cold idle...ahhh it is teh bhut segggs.

It's good to be back home...
    ciao
    VOLVO - not just a car, it's an addiction.
    Originally posted by rage2
    How about Oprah? She should be fined too. As a man, I find her show offensive as fuck.

Stupid mistake

My Ride
    Volvo, '84 764ti, '79 242GT

hey thanks for your input!!!

ciao
    VOLVO - not just a car, it's an addiction.
    Originally posted by rage2
    How about Oprah? She should be fined too. As a man, I find her show offensive as fuck.

oh no
    im suprised the cap styaed there all night

My Ride
    2002 pathfinder

i've done that before haha

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    2006 Civic, Lifted Locked flat black Jeep YJ

if all you are going to do is flame me, just leave the thread and thats that. I ****ed up badly the other night. The oil light came on, i got oil, put it in and accidently dropped the oil cap down below the engine. heres where i ****ed up- i temporarily plugged the uncapped oil hole with a sock and the sock got sucked into it after about 5 mins of driving. its wrapped around the cam shaft-im pretty sure thats what it is... and i need some advice on how to get it out without shelling a shitload of money out to bmw to take it in there. should i unbolt the top piece there and cut it out and then flush the whole thing with some stuff at kragen or just try to cut it out piece by piece through the hole with a sharp razor and take the pieces out with needle nose pliers and then flush it?

please any advice or help on this crap move i made would really really really help me out.

thanks to anyone who replies

omfg, does anybody have the original link for this?

My Ride
    Car

buht seggs.....lmao

My Ride
    V167

I've seen the "no-oil-cap-mess" before. Not a pretty sight at all but nothing a good engine cleaning can't fix.

My Ride
    MB C63

haha that would suck cleaning that
    a whole lot of degreaser or just leave it as a nice engine coat from rust hah