Quantcast
Single Malt Scotch - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Malt Scotch

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default Single Malt Scotch

I want to try some but i know nothing about it.

Can anyone here educate me? what are the good brands? what are the things to look for?
    Tim

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

If you're not a big scotch drinker you might do better with a blended scotch as it's not quite as... rough.

Personally, if you're going for a single malt, age is probably the most important I think. I personally enjoy Glenlevit and Dalwhinnie. There are 5, 10, 12, 15, 20 year scotches... quite honestly, you'd have to know what to look for to point out the differences.

Happy drinking!

My Ride
    2009 Forester

how does a single malt compare to something like JD or Crown Royal Whiskey?

How does the age of the malt affect the taste?
    Tim

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

A single malt scotch is a bit more harsh than JD, for example. JD tastes like shit- generally you do it in shots. Scotch, in a shot, wouldn't work. You sip a scotch.'

Advice: go to a restaurant/bar and order one, see how you like it.

My Ride
    MDX

Good single malts are smoother than blended crap like glenfiddich. All you need to do, is try a few, see if you like the style, and go from there. There are different regions, and different flavors for each. Not all scotch tastes the same.

Some personal favorites of mine:
    Balvenie 12yr doublewood
    glenrothes
    glengoyne sherry cask

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

start with something simple. Glen Fiddich<sp> tastes good and is cheap. Scotch can get expensive! so watch out
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by Darkane
    start with something simple. Glen Fiddich&lt;sp&gt; tastes good and is cheap. Scotch can get expensive! so watch out
    If he starts with shit like glenfiddich, he will never want to try any other scotch ever again. Its shit. Good scotch doesn't need mix, just ice, or a splash of water. Glenfiddich needs coke

My Ride
    E90 335i

jdmakkord is bang on. Scoth is defintiely an acquired taste but should never be compared to blended whiskies. Not anywhere near the same. My fav is the Cragganmore 12year and Glenlivit 15 year.

Generally, the older the more expensive, the more expensive the smoother. I'm a newb but can notice a big difference between cheap single malts and quality stuff.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by jdmakkord

If he starts with shit like glenfiddich, he will never want to try any other scotch ever again. Its shit. Good scotch doesn't need mix, just ice, or a splash of water. Glenfiddich needs coke
    and thats why i dont drink scotch. lol
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2009 Forester

thanks for the info.

I know that good single malts can get quite expensive, which is why im trying to find out which one to try. Even if I buy a cheaper one for $30 or so, i don't want to spend $30 on something i'm only going to drink once because it's crap.

I wish they sold this stuff in those small sampler bottles
    Tim

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by TimG
    thanks for the info.

I know that good single malts can get quite expensive, which is why im trying to find out which one to try. Even if I buy a cheaper one for $30 or so, i don't want to spend $30 on something i'm only going to drink once because it's crap.

I wish they sold this stuff in those small sampler bottles
    $30 wont buy you a decent single malt. $40 will. Better yet, head down to buchanans, and try a few. It may cost you 7-10 a drink, but at least you can try a variety, without having a bottle of something you dont like left over.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Go a little cheaper to start and buy a botle of single malt and blended malt and see which you like better, from there you can start to step up in age and start trying diff brands.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Johnny Walker Green Label scotch is definatly a favorite of mine, Also, Old Pulteny 12 year single malt is good

The Balvenie 10 year is another fav

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

Auchentoshan - all the years - I find tend to taste finer than their price tag would imply.

Single malt novices may also wish to avoid the feistier styles; Talisker (you can taste the salty sea air in it...) and Laphroig (like drinking burning peat bog, but in a good way.)

One of my favourite mellower whiskies is the Glenmorangie Port Wood FInish (can be had in the $45-55 range). It has a hint of sweetness from the port casks.

I totally agree in saying the basest of whiskies should be avoided. Once you have acquired a taste for good single malt though, things can get very, very expensive. I have come disturbingly close a couple times to dropping serious coin on a bottle before coming to my senses.

I have managed to acquire bottles of '71 Bowmore, a '70 Knockandu, and a '76 Auchentoshan that was like having angels dance upon one's tongue.

A tasting class is a good way to get into Scotch.

Let us know what you get and what you think of it.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

where do they offer tasting classes?
    Tim

^ Kensington wine market is a great start; several of the high-end stores like Willow Park also offer tasting classes. Usually they run around $30-60, include some snacks and about 5-6 glasses of whatever you are tasting.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

Originally posted by TimG
    how does a single malt compare to something like JD or Crown Royal Whiskey?

How does the age of the malt affect the taste?
    Firstly these are "Rye" whiskey, not Scotch. Scotch is brewed almost exclusively in Scotland. Its not the Malt that effects the taste its actually the water & the pete, many scotch brewers will use an burnt pete to add flavour.

There is no comaprison to a Rye & a Scotch, likewise a Rye vs a Bourbon.

If you want a nice tasting Scotch and don't wanna break the bank, one of the most nicest inexpensive ones out there is Bells 12yr old, just put it in a sipping glass, add nothing!!!, no water or ice, and swish it around the same as you would a glass of wine, sip & enjoy.

Once you have acquired a tatste one of the best tasting SCotches out there is Oban - 15yr old, but its gonna cost you about $85.00 a bottle.
    A Bimmer a day helps you work rest & play!

My Ride
    2002 Nissan Maxima

Originally posted by sweetchariot

Firstly these are &quot;Rye&quot; whiskey, not Scotch. Scotch is brewed almost exclusively in Scotland. Its not the Malt that effects the taste its actually the water &amp; the pete, many scotch brewers will use an burnt pete to add flavour.

There is no comaprison to a Rye &amp; a Scotch, likewise a Rye vs a Bourbon.

If you want a nice tasting Scotch and don't wanna break the bank, one of the most nicest inexpensive ones out there is Bells 12yr old, just put it in a sipping glass, add nothing!!!, no water or ice, and swish it around the same as you would a glass of wine, sip &amp; enjoy.

Once you have acquired a tatste one of the best tasting SCotches out there is Oban - 15yr old, but its gonna cost you about $85.00 a bottle.
    If I am not mistaken Oban has disappeared from the retail market altogether. You can still find at some bars that may still have it.

Originally posted by rm777

If I am not mistaken Oban has disappeared from the retail market altogether. You can still find at some bars that may still have it.
    WTF!!!!!...No shit, where did it go??...I just literally went to go buy some, was told there was none available, came home and read this thread. I know the Kilt & Caber still sells it, but its like $7.95 a glass.
    A Bimmer a day helps you work rest & play!

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Originally posted by rm777

hmm.. not sure if it's the same one, but when I was at the Shawnessy superstore liquor store this weekend I saw a few bottles of Oban on the top shelf...
    Tim

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast