Quantcast
F1 Malaysia, is ferrari screwed? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F1 Malaysia, is ferrari screwed?

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Default F1 Malaysia, is ferrari screwed?

Just watchin the race right now and has anyone else noticed how the front spoiler keeps seperating from the nose? the commentators say that illegal cause they can't have moving aerodynamic parts. if it is, what happens to shumacher?
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Nothing will happen to him. Schumacher drives for Ferrari. They'll change the rules to allow Ferrari to do that next race!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Nah, Renault has moving mirrors too
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    2002 Toyota Corolla

everyone has moving mirrors, we're talking about the front wing that moves around like a motherfucker at speed. rear wing does too.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

I was being sarcastic, but thanks.
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by rage2
    Nothing will happen to him. Schumacher drives for Ferrari. They'll change the rules to allow Ferrari to do that next race!
    haha no doubt, all the rule changes favour ferrari and MS, nothing is going to happen. They can bitch all they want, FIA arent gonna do shit.

Looks like MS and F need all the help they can get..

My Ride
    2002 Toyota Corolla

^thats not the case...ferrari is among 5 or so teams that all have the pace to win races this year

My Ride

Originally posted by habsfan
    ^thats not the case...ferrari is among 5 or so teams that all have the pace to win races this year
    and hpw you figure they are able to win this year??

My Ride
    2002 Toyota Corolla

todt: but bernie, we weren't the fastest last year!

eccelstone: dont worry jean, we shall change many rules to help you because i love you long time...

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Apparently the Ferarri team missed putting a piece on the rear spoiler to prevent it from moving like it was. I'm not sure that will be fixed but I'm assuming that a moving part increases the drag on the car by causing turbulance. Not necessarily the best thing to have going on.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

No, they didn't put a piece on the rear spoiler that prevented the two elements from moving independently. Supposedly.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride

Originally posted by iceburns288
    No, they didn't put a piece on the rear spoiler that prevented the two elements from moving independently. Supposedly.
    and u believe that

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Uhh, yes. I don't think you understood what I said, because it was a (kinda) double negative. They took off the piece that didn't allow the two rear wing elements to move separately; in other words, they allowed their two elements to move independently of one another, so when they flex from the huge pressure of downforce at speed they move, creating a variable geometry that is illegal.

Whether there's actually any advantage or not I have no idea, but it's (or so I hear) supposed to let the elements come together so that it creates less downforce/drag at really high speed, which would only be reached on the two (very long) straights at Malaysia, and thus have better acceleration. I'm sure Ferrari would know from their wind tunnel testing.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

it not the pulling away from the body that is an issue IMO but that having a pin that the wing could pivot on and reduce it's angle of attach to decrease drag, this probably matches the effect from the rear wing closing the gap which also would reduce drag.

nothing new about MS driving for a team that cheats. Benneton "bent" a few rules to get him his first championship
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

Ferrari suck

RENAULT all the way. and JV
    hah

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Ferrari front wing under protest

Ferrari 248 front wing

TSN.ca Staff

3/20/2006 11:10:39 AM

Ferrari is once again at the centre of a rules controvery in Formula One.

Eight of 10 teams sent a letter race stewards in Malaysia, indicating their intention to protest the front wing structure on Michael Schumacher's car.

Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso were the only teams who did not sign the document, which cites Article 3.15 of the FIA Technical Regulations. They claim that the flexi-wing mounted on the front of the Ferrari is able to "move laterally away from the nose of the car", which in turn improves the aerodynamics of the chassis.

FIA Technical boss Charlie Whiting apparently stepped into the fray and promised that a ruling would be made prior to the Australian Grand Prix.

In-car footage appears to show the font wing moving or "flexing" while the car is running at speed.

The controversy comes a week after teams complained about Ferrari's rear wing element, but FIA cleared the team of any wrong-doing in that complaint.

Ironically, two of the teams who signed the complaint in Malaysia are also believed to be running a similar "flexi-wing" element on their cars.

Several team bosses fear that if FIA does not come up with a definitive ruling, other teams will be forced to incorporate similar designs on their cars, further blurring the "grey area" in the regulations.

A Ferrari spokesperson says the team is not planning to make any changes to their bodywork until and unless FIA issues a decision.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

If no one else has noticed, Ferrari is the only team that has little strut bars attaching the end plates to the nose. If they didn't have those, no one would have noticed, and they don't appear to be strong or necessary. If they had left those off, no one would have noticed. Perhaps it was done intentionally?
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Oh, and McLaren and BMW are both being forced to change theirs as well. There you go, T-M
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

It's F1 what do you expect, they push the rules to the limit. I'm see all the Ferrari hater's posting here jumping on them for this one. But it is legal, it's a grey area but it's still legal.

Anyone that has followed F1 for a while should remember when McLaren ran and indepentent rear break. It allowed Hakkenin and Cothard to brake 1 rear wheel more then the other. The rules said that the front wheels were only allowed to do the steering on the car. By braking 1 rear wheel more then another will help turn/steer the car, McLaren was protested over, all the teams were upset, McLaren ended up running for something like 5 races and then wasn't allowed to run it anymore. They team got no penalties against them for running because the rules didn't clearly state that dynamic braking to help steer the car was considered steering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast