Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9 Year Old Tries To Print the Internet

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Default 9 Year Old Tries To Print the Internet

Nine Year Old Aims to Print the Internet
    Written by Chica Loca
    Thursday, 16 February 2006
    In an effort to help nine year old Cody Darnell win a $50 bet made with his older cousin at their family's thanksgiving lunch last November, the townsfolk of Springwood in North Dakota, USA have joined forces to lend assistance.

Dorothy and Dwight Darnell, were surprised last week when they discovered reams of pages printed from the Internet in their son Cody's bedroom and learned of his plan to print a hard copy of all of the Internet to win a $50 bet with his seventeen year old cousin, Mikey Darnell-Wilson. The bet came about during the main course of the family's Thanksgiving lunch after a heated debate between Cody and Mikey about the size of the Internet and the feasibility of printing it out. Under the terms of the bet, Cody has six months to complete the printing and if Mikey can find a site on the Internet which has not been printed he wins the bet, if he can’t he loses.

After hearing about the bet, Dwight phoned Mikey who immediately apologised to his aunt and uncle for unfairly teasing his younger cousin and offered to call off the bet. Cody, however, insisted that he be allowed to continue and Dorothy and Dwight reluctantly agreed under the condition that websites which contain adult or obscene content be excluded from the bet. Dwight explained, "I know there’s some nasty filth on the Internet that a good Christian family like the Darnells don’t want to see so we got us some clever software that stops it getting into our humble home."

News of the bet became public when Mikey's regular posts of progress reports and photos on his personal homepage were featured by one of Springwood’s local radio stations. Since then, the town's residents have flooded the Darnells with offers of assistance. The local computer supplies store, Big Frank’s World of Computers, has donated a large capacity laser printer and the Springwood Traders' Association is seeking donations from local businesses to cover the costs of paper and printer toner. Others are helping by taking it in turns to do the printing, creating lists of websites to be printed and providing storage space for the printouts.

Environmental organisations were outraged when they heard of the bet and the president of the Springwood Conservation Society, Art Grossmann, was forthright in expressing his opinion, saying "You have got to be joking. Some dumb kid is wasting all that paper to win a stupid $50 bet." In the light of this criticism, Cody has agreed to use recycled paper and to use a printer driver that can print eight pages on a sheet of paper.

This heart warming story of determination and community spirit has been featured on national and international news services and the Darnells have become local celebrities. Dorothy, a waitress at a local diner and Dwight, an unemployed truck driver, have been surprised by the amount of interest in Cody’s story. As Dorothy explained, "We've been getting hundreds of calls from all sorts of people. Most of them want interviews and we've even had Hollywood people wanting to make a feature film. Imagine that, a film about our Cody and little ol’ Springwood."

The bet will be decided on May 24th, 2006 and will be celebrated a special holiday proclaimed by the mayor of Springwood, Ed Newsome, as Internet Day. Cody summed up the sentiment of the town by saying, "This is like, totally, the coolest thing ever. I'm gonna show Mikey that he’s wrong." before returning to his computer and printer.

Link Here

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    V167

That right there is the stupidest idea ever.

haha what a waste of everything!

My Ride
    2003 Subaru WRX Stg. 2

what happens with forums? Does he hafta print out every thread from every forum?

Waste of paper!

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

That'll take the rest of his life because new websites and what not are being made everyday!

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Okay, so what about all of those blogs that are updated with new pages every few minutes?....
    You could keep a printer busy indefinately just using those.

I want to email the other kid this forum's address, and right before he picks a page, make a new thread that can't have been printed yet.
    This is so stupid.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    X3

So he is retarded right?

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by Pee_Sack
    what happens with forums? Does he hafta print out every thread from every forum?
    and does he have to print each link from each site, or just the home page.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    1996 ek

he's killing like an entire forest hahah what a dick

Hahah man. He'll lose like 100x that money in paper cost. Too bad "the articles on www.cool.com.au are total fabrications" according to www.cool.com.au

http://www.cool.com.au/general-news/...t-20060312234/
    Last edited by liquidboi69; 03-19-2006 at 07:48 PM.

My Ride
    A31 Cefiro

The End? I got there once a few years ago..lol
    http://www.weirdity.com/internet/eoti.html

My Ride
    S250T, 435ZHS

Someone give this kids parents a good right hook to the face ASAP.
    Dumbest idea evar.
    Last edited by cman; 03-20-2006 at 07:51 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

why are you guys trying to use logical arguments against a 9 year old that obviously doesnt understand what hes doing?

My Ride
    GTI

I thought parents were supposed to protect children from their stupidity?

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

That's retarded...for $50?

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by googe
    why are you guys trying to use logical arguments against a 9 year old that obviously doesnt understand what hes doing?
    to feel intellectually superior....duh

My Ride
    2000 Prelude

only in the united states...

My Ride
    MB C63

^
    nicely said.

Originally posted by liquidboi69
    Hahah man. He'll lose like 100x that money in paper cost. Too bad "the articles on www.cool.com.au are total fabrications" according to www.cool.com.au

http://www.cool.com.au/general-news/...t-20060312234/
    IT'S FAKE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast