Quantcast
Laptop Recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop Recommendations

My Ride
    firebird

Default Laptop Recommendations

I'm in the market for a new laptop right now and am overwhelmed by all the choice of brands, etc. I am coming from an Averatec, 1.3 Centrino, 40gb HD, 512RAM, DVD Burner and I have nothing but good things to say about this computer.

Here are my specs:

Centrino 1.7 or more
    1 GIG Ram
    100 Gig Hard Drive
    DVD Burner

As thin and light as possible but no screen smaller than 15"

I am looking at Toshiba's and Dells so far. I am trying to stay away from ACER and no name brands.

I would like the potential for a warranty as well for at least a year.

<$1500

Any recommendations on brands to get or stay away from would be great.

Thanks
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Just FYI, Acer is not a no-name brand and not one to stay away from, in my opinion. They are the third or fourth largest laptop manufacturer in the world, and are consistently offering great prices on their laptops.

That being said, have you considered a Duo? The newer laptops are coming with two processors, so you might want to consider that option as well...
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    firebird

Hmm alright thanks. I was just going by personal experiences of others on the ACER thing.

I have been looking at the DUO processor computers and they are a bit pricey locally. I am weary of buying one from EBAY as I am not sure of the duty tax on a laptop.

Does anyone know the cheaper places in town for a laptop?
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

compaq v-series... i LOVE mine! and under 1500... i think its like 1000-1100 and meets ur requirements

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

get a thinkpad t60

here is a comparison charts and review

http://reviews.cnet.com/Lenovo_Think...2.html?tag=nav

if u want a lapotp to last get a ibm

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

I would personally go for a pentium 4, I have a 1.7 Centrino and a 3.0 P4 and I feel that there is no comparison between the 2, except for a little more battery life on the centrino; nothing huge though. The performance on the centrino is not very impressive, atleast not compared to the P4. Not sure what your going to be doing with the laptop though! BTW my centrino is a gateway, and my pentium is a compaq.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

don't get a p4 unless u want to burn urself using the damn laptop. P4 get little battery life and get overly hot so why bother

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    Hmm alright thanks. I was just going by personal experiences of others on the ACER thing.

I have been looking at the DUO processor computers and they are a bit pricey locally. I am weary of buying one from EBAY as I am not sure of the duty tax on a laptop.

Does anyone know the cheaper places in town for a laptop?
    Memory Express, partly due to their wide selection on Acer laptops, is a pretty cheap place. You can get a nice Core Duo laptop for $1200-$1400.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Not to hi-jack the thread, but i have a question about laptop processors aswel...

I have a p4 and i think i burned all the hairs on my legs and prob wont have children....

I've been lookin at the avertec's and they have the
    AMD: Turion
    AMD: Sempron
    and the intel pentium M.... what are your recomendations...thanks i hope this helps you too McKenzie...

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

I think this is a good deal, but im not sure about the pricing....

Is the averatec website american currency? I went all the way to the checkout and didnt see anything about type of currencey although it asked if i was shipping to canada....

http://www.shopaveratec.com/product.asp?sku=2701609

Same laptop at FS but im not sure if they will match....(save some money but basically save the shipping costs...almost $80 on top)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...45&catid=11520

My Ride
    2004 Ford F-150 Fx4 SC

amd all the way! only trouble is, they havent released their dual core turion yet, wont be long though. keep im mind alot of the internals are the same manufacturer, each company just slaps a case and a name on it! just wherever you buy it, dont go dell

^Why what's wrong with dell?
    I have an HP and well...as soon as I got it I uninstalled every piece of software save the windows itself, cause all HP likes to do is give you "Free trials" of bullshit that fucks your computer in the ass. Other than that it's great. I would though, recommend going for the larger battery, it weighs more but has 2wice the punch.

PS As SOON as you buy your laptop get the best firewall and virus scan you can get...you don't wanna be formatting because of spyware
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

if you have the money and don't mind a mac, get the new macbook. that thing is amazing and will blow amost every laptop that is out there atm.

EBLEND - i have a p4 with ht and it dosn't run that hot, i get 1.5 hours out of the battery and that is a 17 inch screen on full and wireless internet.

I'm also looking for a laptop as well. Mainly for school and that in the fall. Looking for something that is some-what quick, able to play some games (obviously not half life 2) but mainly for excellent networking and the longest possible battery life out there. Also a 14" screen seems to suit me quite nicely. Any recommendations?

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...&amp;langid=EN

u will not be dissapointed
    I'm guessing that he might, considering he said that the screen should be no smaller than 15".

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how nobody really reads a thread before posting?

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Originally posted by eblend
    don't get a p4 unless u want to burn urself using the damn laptop. P4 get little battery life and get overly hot so why bother
    Mine has never gotten hot on me, maybe a little warm, but even my centrino get a little warm. Also the battery life is pretty damn good for the performance. I can watch an entire movie without a problem!

Originally posted by gp36912
    if you have the money and don't mind a mac, get the new macbook. that thing is amazing and will blow amost every laptop that is out there atm.

EBLEND - i have a p4 with ht and it dosn't run that hot, i get 1.5 hours out of the battery and that is a 17 inch screen on full and wireless internet.

Originally posted by HyperZell
    That being said, have you considered a Duo? The newer laptops are coming with two processors, so you might want to consider that option as well...
    Don't waste your time with a Duo yet. Wait until the 64-bit version comes out, then hop on it.

My Ride
    bmw

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...&amp;langid=EN

u will not be dissapointed
    just bought this on the weekend..great laptop...

Originally posted by 85regal

just bought this on the weekend..great laptop...

What are you using your laptop for? The 12 cell battery sounds awesome! Movies, powerpoint, word, internet, games etc? What kind of performance are you getting and how long is the battery lasting? Pretty good laptop it seems for a low price! Let me know in a bit since you just got it. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast