Quantcast
tenants: how much notice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: tenants: how much notice

My Ride
    2003 Rsx Type S WHITE, Ninja zx250r

Default teanants: how much notice

hi i recently bought a condo, that has current residents in it.

now the old owner JUST told the current teanants that she is selling the place, they weren't very happy already, she likes the place

but there lease is up on april 1st and my possesion is april 1st. they have been in there for 1 year so they have alot of stuff there...

how much notice do i need to give them to move there stuff out? it is already march 20th, 2006 and last i spoke to them they didn't even have time to start looking for another place to move out.

and if i do give them till the end of next months do i get to collect another month's rent from them? and again as stated they not too happy that they weren't given notice, what if they trash the place.....?
    please don't flame me, or i'll have to learn how to use the ban button

My Ride
    Dakota

you should have made it a condition of your purchase that the tenants would be out by a certain date(your possesion date would have been best)

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

yeah dont take possesion of the house until the teanants are out, you dont want them to rent it and stuff after you own it or you'll be respinsible for damages they cause

My Ride
    Skateboard

Call Calgary Apartment Association http://www.calapt.org/ they will tell you where you stand.

My Ride
    This and that.

Deffinately don't take the possession of the place unless the old owner gets them to vacate it. Cauz the tennants are in contract with the old owner and not you. Usually its's a month's notice, unless it specifies another time period in the contract. If you do take possession and they can't move yet in the time, you can take another months rent from them and give them that months notice. That should give them ample time to move on, and if they do trash the space I am sure in the contract there has to be a term which states in that case they are liable to pay the damages. But then again that contract is only valid till the time old owner owns the place and once you take possession that contract becomes voidable. Even though not void but they can argue in the court of law that the contract is voidable since the actual contract wasn't made with you.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

IF the tenants are on a lease, it is up to them to enquire to their landlord to find out if they can stay for another lease term prior to their lease expiring. (prior meaning enough time before, that if the landlord will not renew their lease they have time to make other plans)

If they do nothing, by law, the tenants are expected to vacate the premises on the day their lease expires.

So (your) new tenants must be out of the condo, by law, april 1st. You could have them removed by the cps on that date.

You are not bound legally to give them 30 or 90 days notice. I would call them up and tell them sorry but your moving in. Or you could be nice and charge them a months mortgage payment and let them stay until they find a new place. you will have to work some issues out with your home insurance company tho.

Either way it was very unprofessional of the person you bought from (and their agent) to not give his tenants much notice.

IF they are not in a lease but renting month to month it is a whole different senario.

this is all from the horses mouth.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride

thansk for all the input, i really also need some where to stay so i might ask them nicely to leave as that is when i have possesion,

but IF they do trash the place i have no laws binding them to pay for it eh?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by gkAeris
    you should be able to work something out with home insurance as long as you tell your insurer what is going on and cover your ass

My Ride
    This and that.

thansk for all the input, i really also need some where to stay so i might ask them nicely to leave as that is when i have possesion,

You can always sue them for the damages under law of tort. Not really in contract since they are in no way in contract with you, just the old owner.

My Ride

have the possesion date a day after they move out and do an inspection at that time....that way they will be gone before you officially purchase the house, that is assuming in your contract you stated it is subject to an inspection...

My Ride

Originally posted by legendboy
    IF the tenants are on a lease, it is up to them to enquire to their landlord to find out if they can stay for another lease term prior to their lease expiring. (prior meaning enough time before, that if the landlord will not renew their lease they have time to make other plans)

If they do nothing, by law, the tenants are expected to vacate the premises on the day their lease expires.

So (your) new tenants must be out of the condo, by law, april 1st. You could have them removed by the cps on that date.

You are not bound legally to give them 30 or 90 days notice. I would call them up and tell them sorry but your moving in. Or you could be nice and charge them a months mortgage payment and let them stay until they find a new place. you will have to work some issues out with your home insurance company tho.
    ok, so i called her and she said that the previous owner 2 weeks ago agreed to another one year lease, and then last week i purchase the condo, and she told them that she sold it to me! does that change the fact. i konw it's the previous owner fault, she just changed her mind on them but told them to clean up the house cuz she is selling it, on top of that they have a communication barrier cuz the old owner was chinese can't speak a word of english and the tenants are caucasian. She never given them written notice to leave

bascially she has no where to go and she also said that there is some tenant act saying that i have to give her 3 months notice to move....

honestly i really want this place, but i dont know how to kcik her out by april 1st and if i'm allowed to kcik her out.

My Ride

Originally posted by 2002civic

have the possesion date a day after they move out and do an inspection at that time....that way they will be gone before you officially purchase the house, that is assuming in your contract you stated it is subject to an inspection...
    too late, it's already legally my condo...but has some tenants in it till april 1st.....how do i get them to move out!

My Ride
    335i

too late, it's already legally my condo...but has some tenants in it till april 1st.....how do i get them to move out!
    A fixed term tenancy ends automatically at the end of the term that you agreed to326. If the tenancy was from January 1st, 2001 until December 31st, 2001, it will end on December 31st, 2001. If the landlord and tenant have not made provision for the exact time the tenancy is to end, it will end at 12 noon on the last day of the tenancy.
    That said, you shouldn't be completely heartless and kick someone out of the house with 11 days notice, especially if it wasn't their fault.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Sentra

call the cops?

My Ride
    2009 G37x

Yet another example of why you should always use a realtor, especially when buying. Any realtor worth his/her salt would have covered your butt and you wouldn't be facing this headache.

Also, who has the security deposit?

My Ride
    NC1

Just give them 30 days notice. Make sure you get some damage deposit while you are at it (along with the rent of course).

This is really important, make sure you have everything in writing.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by moeman
    Yet another example of why you should always use a realtor, especially when buying. Any realtor worth his/her salt would have covered your butt and you wouldn't be facing this headache.

Also, who has the security deposit?

Did you use a Realtor? If so you might have some recourse. If not, there isn' t much you can do. Unfortunately the owner had agreed to renew their term. Usually if someone is buying a property currently occupied by tenants, the owner will pass on to the new owner a copy of the tenancy agreement.

My Ride

yeah what a dum kunt for aggreeing to another year and sleling it to them, i think by law they are allowed 3 months now even if it was sold to you.. i could be wrong however

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

When there is no fault of the tenants, they have the right to receive proper notice - NO MATTER WHO BUYS THE CONDO. I know this really sucks for you, but it is designed to protect tenants from shitty deals.

I beleive that proper notice for the tenants is either 2 or 3 months.

BTW, if the seller is sticking you with a tenant, you are entitled to hold the tenants damage deposit instead of the previous owner. You are also entitled to the rent that is collected after change of ownership.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

ya Gail i think your realitor fucked up big time. he should have been on top of things like this. you should report him to the realestate board. i donno, one of the 2 realitors fucked up.

legally your actually stuck with your tenants for the full term of their lease.

you need to get copies of the lease they signed with the previous owner.

and get ready to be a landlord for the next year!
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast