Quantcast
My business Venture - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My business Venture

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Originally posted by bmxneon420

yeah and guess what? people in this town love my car, they are constantly asking me 'whered you get that windshield decal done' 'what kinda system is that? it pounds!' 'can you install my cd player and subs for me?'

these are questions I get all the time...i've installed probably 5 or 6 stereos in town and everyone loves what I do...might as well make it a business...totally legit and certified...

]Originally posted by bmxneon420
    I know, it sounds like one hell of a stupid idea
    We will need suppliers and that kind of stuff, we will need to be properly trained to do it
    installing decks does not count for experience for opening a shop. if i took my car into a shop that only had experience with installing decks in 6 cars i wouldn't take my car there.

OVERHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatever close this stupid thread...shoulda expected this from beyond...

My Ride
    turbo 01 accord, yamaha FZ6

I gotta say it is a noble goal, and it's one that I'm sure we've all had at some point or another. But when you get right down to it, you would be in for an uphill battle. You live in a truck town, and it always will be a truck town. If you want to have a profitable business you will need to have enough customers with enough cash to actually spend enough of it to keep your shop heated, lit and watered. You will also need to be able to pay rent and maintain huge supplier networks.

A startup like this needs a lot of cash, usually in the form of a loan, though stolen gold sometimes works. You will need to prove that both you and your company are decent credit risks, which will be hard to do because the market in your area is so small. In the 1 million people in greater Calgary area, I bet there is less than 10,000 custom cars worth mentioning (ie. seat covers don't count). Take that ratio to your area and you have about 100 people with cars that will be serious about modding their cars. The crazy thing is that once those 100 people have spent their car budget, you can bet that the business will die off rather quickly. Bank people are both stingy with their money, and rather smart, which will make your attempts at getting a large enough loan very difficult.

For the people that are interested enough to spend the money it requires to keep a shop like that open, it is likely that they would rather drive to Calgary, have a larger shop with a much larger selection and knowlege base do the work for them. Most companies in the car industry only allow a certain number of shops in a given geographic location be dealers as it helps to keep price gouging in check, and according to most of those companies, you are in the same area as Calgary.

If you do manage to work out the details, good luck to you. If you do get it up and running I'm sure all but the biggest pricks on here would be happy for you.

My Ride
    IS350

Whatever man, everyone who has posted is giving you the honest truth - I live in Cochrane, so I can definately relate to your situation and prior to selling my Celica I had "the hot" car in town. I imagined (at some point or other) about how nice it would be to have a tuner shop out here but IT'S NOT FEASABLE, in any way, shape or form. If you spend some time hanging around the shops in Calgary (Speedtech, Autodream, etc) you will see not only why they are successful but also HOW hard they continually have to work to stay in the game. Considering the availability of parts online these days a performance shop has to have it all - and no offense but installing stereos isn't going to give you the edge. I will say this...if it's something you feel strongly about, go to school and become a certified mechanic or get training in audio and multimedia installs and work at a shop to gain experience. After a couple years maybe you'll have enough background to look into opening a shop somewhere

My Ride
    Corvette

Hey that's too bad you deleted your post...

My Ride
    B5 Audi

well from what i read your business would bomb immediatly... all the guys in okotoks get there cars done in the city, its not a far drive at all... i used to live and play hockey there.. i know.. and high river does not have the money for a shop.. thats why they buy walmart shit... where did u get ur ALtezzas, walmart or canadian tire?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

wow what pissed this guy off so bad
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    '05 Acura TL

Originally posted by legendboy
    wow what pissed this guy off so bad
    honest opinions

You can't blame the guy for having an idea and asking about it, IMO I think it's great to come up with ideas that's really the soul of an entrepreneur... but man what's up with the temper tantrum! You post something on this forum asking for opinions and they're not all what you want to hear so you freak? If you're going to follow the path of starting your own business you have to learn to take criticism better.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

One important aspect of business management is the ability to deal with criticism. Obviously, you are nowhere near mature enough to run a business.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    One important aspect of business management is the ability to deal with criticism. Obviously, you are nowhere near mature enough to run a business.
    That's true... No matter how great the idea is, there will always be people who will act like idiots (2002civic for example) and your just best to turn the other cheek and ignore them.

Starting up a business is all about risk, first time around especially, do what you love!

PS... My management professor always tells us to use the negative comments as ammo in our quests. but also listen to what others have to say. Gotta have a thick skin.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Hell ya. Man you guys really drove the point home.
    Although it was a few former friends of mine (from way back) that started up AutoDream, so it can be done, but it REALLY takes connections. I think a place like "Speedtech" but one that exclusively sells JDM stuff, and former actual race parts: THAT would be cool and a huge hit.

Sort of like www.cannonball-r.com but in person... with not such idiotic prices.

I went into Speedtech for the first time today, and there is a HUGE gap between THAT and a store that would sell primarily JDM stuff, so I think Japanese contacts and car wreckers would really be an asset. That would take time and some money though, as well as some damn good networking. But its very do-able. especially in the NW where most rich-kids from Bears paw have oodles of cash their willing to throw at a store that'll give them a one off JDM car.

Anything is possible. There are TONS of resources available to any given young entreprenuer: if their willing to work for it.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

Originally posted by l8braker

That's true... No matter how great the idea is, there will always be people who will act like idiots (2002civic for example) and your just best to turn the other cheek and ignore them.

Starting up a business is all about risk, first time around especially, do what you love!

PS... My management professor always tells us to use the negative comments as ammo in our quests. but also listen to what others have to say. Gotta have a thick skin.

excuse me? if it was a great idea i wouldnt have been an "idiot" as you put it, but since he posted on a public forum i was entitled to my opinion, which like 90% of the posters in this forum agreed with as his "business idea" being unsuccesful..as a business student i felt that someone that doesnt know anythign about cars or business as he stated himself wasnt the most capable person of opening an automotive business...and the fact that he couldnt handle a few negative posts clearly proved my point...and if your sait professor tells you to use negative comments as ammo in your quest all the power to him but i prefer to use negative comments to figure out ways to improve my business idea or business..
    Last edited by 2002civic; 03-24-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2