Quantcast
need help with wireless internet - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: need help with wireless internet

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Default need help with wireless internet

My wireless used to work flawlessly and these past couple days its been disconnecting randomly, is it my card or

My Ride
    07 Avalanche LTZ

i would hold the reset button on the back of my router first for 20 seconds and reset all of security

Last edited by 01RedDX; 11-01-2020 at 06:31 AM.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Hmmm, could be a lot of things. Reset the router (or tell your neighbor to reset his lol) and reinstall your software. Also, don't have more than one wireless driver, if your basic windows one works, do not install the one that came with your card.
    i tryed resetting the router and i only have 1 driver

My Ride
    Mercedes 190D 2.0

Originally posted by 3G

i tryed resetting the router and i only have 1 driver
    If it disconnects randomly I'd bed on an EMC (hardware) problem. Since this wireless stuff operates in the 2.45 GHz range, it could be your Microwave, your cars ignition that disturbs the connection, almost any electric device with enough power.

To confirm my theory, try to look at the signal quality. If it is constantly less than 40 % then it could be one of the following problems:
    a) Long (electric) distance to router. Walls in between, ... -> move the router to an other spot
    b) Defective antenna, or antenna wire. Sometimes a small break in the wire-shielding can make the antenna useless. -> test another antenna/wire

Sometimes the drivers also display the so called signal-to-noise ratio. It should be around 30-40 dB. If it is less then that it could be one of the above problems.

Ok now the other scenario. The signal quality is good and then the connection quality drops down substantially for a short period. This is most likely caused by electric equipment near the router or your PC. Try to find things that happen to turn on, or that you turned on at that time. In that case replace the (alleged) disturbing device or just switch it off. If this doesn't help... A wired connection is way more reliable.

I made an internship in an hospital in the medical engineering department. One week we had some strange disortions on the screen of some unltrasonic treatment device that occurered randomly. It took us a couple of days, until we figured out that it was electic noise caused by a defective elevator engine next door.
    Moving to Canada from Germany: If you know how to import a car from Europe to Canada, please help me here.