Quantcast
Want To Buy - Digital Camera - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Want To Buy - Digital Camera

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Default Want To Buy - Digital Camera

My brother's looking for a camera, something like 5 megapixel, NIkon, Canon, something like that. Looking to spend around $300.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    IS350

I was looking at a Canon Powershot 5.0MP camera at BestBuy the other day. I believe it was $299, it looked pretty nice

Originally posted by stephen_haxton
    I was looking at a Canon Powershot 5.0MP camera at BestBuy the other day. I believe it was $299, it looked pretty nice
    Canon's A530
    It's their entry lvl one. Good starter camera. Simple to use.
    Runs on 2 AA batteries, Rechargables and charger not included.

average size, a little on the big if you ask me. But has manual control options, sound in video, 4x optical zoom and 1.8 inch screen

the next model up is 6 megs with a bigger screen for an extra 80 bucks.

Another model to look at is Nikon's L3 or L4... one is 289 and othe other is 240ish. They both have 2 inch screens and include the rechargable AAs, They are also physically smaller. the cheaper one does not have sound in the movie mode and they are 4 and 5 megs me thinks

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Ya, I forgot to mention this, but we're both photographers, our dad owns a photography company so he's looking for something with manual programmability but he is on a budget. So size can be sacrificed for more options, and sound on video is a must. Sorry, Pihsiak's post just reminded me I didn't post what exactly I was looking for!
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Pihsiak

Canon's A530
    It's their entry lvl one. Good starter camera. Simple to use.
    Runs on 2 AA batteries, Rechargables and charger not included.

average size, a little on the big if you ask me. But has manual control options, sound in video, 4x optical zoom and 1.8 inch screen

the next model up is 6 megs with a bigger screen for an extra 80 bucks.

Another model to look at is Nikon's L3 or L4... one is 289 and othe other is 240ish. They both have 2 inch screens and include the rechargable AAs, They are also physically smaller. the cheaper one does not have sound in the movie mode and they are 4 and 5 megs me thinks
    The A530 is almost not big enough, looking for something you can get a bit more of a grip on, probably with 2 shutter buttons for portrait or landscape like the Nikon F5 has. And the Canon website doesn't elaborate on anything like aperature settings. Also, move mode is only VGA.

The Nikon (Coolpix?) L3 is still a little small, but I do like Nikon a lot more, it's what I'm used to using. I'm beginning to think I'm not going to get something with interchangable lenses for $300, even used.

I'm hoping to get something like last year's model which would sell for $500, at a steal for like $300. I might have to do Ebay but this is worth a shot, I know we got some talented photographers here. Thanks, Pihsiak, for the advice. I might end up going with one of those, but I think Ebay will have more of what I'm looking for.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

i got a Cannon A520, 4 meg if ur interested new asking 130 pm me if interested
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    TII FC3S (sold), RX300

I've got a canon powershot s50, 5.0 megapixels, all the manual functions. PM me if you're interested...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...anon+powershot

Originally posted by Mar
    Ya, I forgot to mention this, but we're both photographers, our dad owns a photography company so he's looking for something with manual programmability but he is on a budget. So size can be sacrificed for more options, and sound on video is a must. Sorry, Pihsiak's post just reminded me I didn't post what exactly I was looking for!

I'd say spend the extra and pick up the A540.

but the thing that pisses me off about these cameras with manual control option is the fact that they have a LCD screen in the back and a "optical" viewfinder (a straight hole thru the camera like old style film point and shoots).

When you're outside and there's glare on the screen from the sun, it's hard to adjust the setting so you are not over or underexposing it.
    The view finder is a hole that goes right thru the camera so it only sees 85-65% of what the lens sees so if you are trying to frame the picture, everything is gonna get shifted over.

If your brother wants to do/learn serious manual control, sound in movie is a must and size is not an option.
    Then I'd suggest either the about-to-be-discontinued S2 IS or the new black body S3 IS. (tho they are in the 550-600 dollar range with good reasons)

Gonna be much happier with those in the long run

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Pihsiak

I'd say spend the extra and pick up the A540.

but the thing that pisses me off about these cameras with manual control option is the fact that they have a LCD screen in the back and a "optical" viewfinder (a straight hole thru the camera like old style film point and shoots).

When you're outside and there's glare on the screen from the sun, it's hard to adjust the setting so you are not over or underexposing it.
    The view finder is a hole that goes right thru the camera so it only sees 85-65% of what the lens sees so if you are trying to frame the picture, everything is gonna get shifted over.

If your brother wants to do/learn serious manual control, sound in movie is a must and size is not an option.
    Then I'd suggest either the about-to-be-discontinued S2 IS or the new black body S3 IS. (tho they are in the 550-600 dollar range with good reasons)

Gonna be much happier with those in the long run
    Ya, I'm used to being able to look through a camera and see whether the lens cap is on or not. I hate it too.

It's funny you mention the Canon S2 IS, I've spent the last day trying to find one on Ebay for under $400. I don't mind throwing him $100 or so but shipping is going to add more on top of that. I've also been looking at the Nikon Coolpix 7900 for $350 or so but I don't see where it explicitly states about any manual control. I can't see why it wouldn't have it though, the only problem is it's not on the Nikon website so I can't see how much they're selling for in stores.

Nikon Coolpix 7900

Best buys had the 7900 on sale

but it's just the older version of the L series (but with nikkor ED glass lens).
    There is no manual control on the camera

that being said
    The only simple ones i can think of that have manual control options and a bit decent are Canon's A series (530/540/610/620) and the older Sony W series (W5 and W7)

see if you can find an older model Canon pro1
    it's an 04 camera so it might be cheaper

8mp, wide angle 28-200 mm zoom (7x), manual focus ring, manual motorized zoom ring

Pros: excellent manual settings like the A series and SI, has a digital viewfinder, flip out screen for angle shots, hot shoe for external flash

Cons: Biggest thing that pissed me off, the manual zoom ring. it's motorized so when you twist it, the lens moves in and out in sections.... Big Block battery (extra is another 80-100 bucks but rechargable!!) and in order to use the flash, it has to be digially rated (EX420/EX430/EX550 and EX580) when the flash is mounted on the camera... ackward weight distribution.

btw shitty movies (3 mins at 15f/s)... but with sound

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

You got me going on the old model Canons so I found the S1 IS and I might go with it. There doesn't seem to be any downsides besides the resolution. It's still pretty much noise free up to 1240 resolution though.

My Ride
    FOR SALE: 02EP3

XS Cargo has A Kodak 5.2MP camera 3x opt 4x digital for $137.99.. save some money and buy a huge memory card with it

good luck

My Ride
    95 Talon ESi

pm'd!

Originally posted by Mar
    You got me going on the old model Canons so I found the S1 IS and I might go with it. There doesn't seem to be any downsides besides the resolution. It's still pretty much noise free up to 1240 resolution though.

smaller zoom 10x and only 3 mp
    runs on CF cards