shortage of cops in calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: shortage of cops in calgary

Default shortage of cops in calgary

i know im not the only one who finds this completely absurd

what gives?

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/...11909-sun.html

Thu, March 30, 2006

Cop crew shortage blastedPolice union leader says thin staff a risk to safety

By SARAH KENNEDY, CALGARY SUN

Police association president Al Koenig. (File photo)
    The Calgary Police Service is playing "Russian roulette with public safety" by not having enough officers patrolling the streets, says police association president Al Koenig.

"As an association, we've warned there's a police crisis coming and it seems that it's here," he said yesterday. "The problem is, despite the strength we have on paper, we don't have enough officers to police this city properly."

Calgary's top cop Chief Jack Beaton said although he would love to have more officers on the streets, he disagrees the situation has reached dire proportions.

"This is not a crisis issue we face," he said.

"Could we do more with more? Yes," he said.

"But we can only apply for more resources at the expense of the taxpayers."

Koenig's comments came a day after members of the police traffic unit were called in to assist officers in District 2 on Tuesday with a stabbing and shooting.

He said officers are commonly responding to calls outside their jurisdiction be-cause there's just not the manpower on the streets.

"Public safety is at risk," he said.

Paramedics and fire crews are frequently beating police to emergencies because they don't have the officers readily available, Koenig added.

"We are operating just a little above half-strength," he said. "We are about 350 officers short of what we should be based on other cities of similar size."

Koenig believes the problem is the result of cutting new hires to contend with budget shortages and a dwindling interest in joining the service.

My Ride
    1996 Mazda MX-3

wow this is very hard to believe, especially when driving down mcleod trail on a friday night...

i thought we were something like 10 to 1

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by dragonone
    i thought we were something like 10 to 1
    what civilains to officers?....lol, u think theres 100,000 cops?

I hope that that was a typo

....Can Never have too many police as long as there doing things that matter, not just handing out lame traffic tickets...so i guess that means they should do police CUTBACKS!, by about 50%
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

I'd love to see more officers with no quota, but what am I saying, that'll never happen

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

I want to see writen proof or studies that showcase this statement. Traffic Violations are one thing, but show me murders, rapes, thefts, burgalry etc.. etc... that show that there is such a high demand for more police.

I am all for having more Security In Calgary, but I question how money would be used wisely in that sense?

I don't fully understand all the variables, but at first glance this looks like trying to put band-aid after band-aid over a stab wound, all its going to do is bleed some more
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 03-31-2006 at 02:42 AM.

My Ride
    240sx, 1991 Supra mk3 tt, 4-speed 93 Benz 320e

Fuck that shit Driving around westhills last weekend I saw 5 cruisers within a couple blocks radius, if they need more officers, move em out of traffic we dont need those useless fucks sitting in cruisers, eating timmy hoes while manning a radar gun, we pay their salary and they pull sneaky radar traps on us, Kiss My Ass Al Koenig and CPS traffic division.

Originally posted by Zoom_Zoom
    Fuck that shit Driving around westhills last weekend I saw 5 cruisers within a couple blocks radius, if they need more officers, move em out of traffic we dont need those useless fucks sitting in cruisers, eating timmy hoes while manning a radar gun, we pay their salary and they pull sneaky radar traps on us, Kiss My Ass Al Koenig and CPS traffic division.

thats right ! stick it to the man lol

My Ride
    '13 F150

I've noticed an inverse correlation between the number of donut shops in Calgary and the per-capita number of police officers patrolling the streets.

Coincidence? I think not.

You want more cops on the streets? I got three words for you. "Close the donut shops."

My Ride
    2000 323i

Ok, I was pissed on Wednesday. I USUALLY have no problem with cops...but I'm driving down 17th near 7th in the right lane....and the taillight strobes on a cop van in front of me go on a few blocks down....pulls over, they BOTH get out of the Van, and they're sticking out into the left lane too....get out, and go into McDicks. Those are the cops that do irritate me. Pull into the parking lot like a civilian, if you're doing something as a civilian.
    Mike

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Originally posted by Zoom_Zoom

I drive to chestermere lake on a daily basis, and 17th Ave SE is just packed with cruisers (don't blame them) but kinda feel sorry for them, theres only one timmies on that street

Originally posted by Nissanaddict
    Ok, I was pissed on Wednesday. I USUALLY have no problem with cops...but I'm driving down 17th near 7th in the right lane....and the taillight strobes on a cop van in front of me go on a few blocks down....pulls over, they BOTH get out of the Van, and they're sticking out into the left lane too....get out, and go into McDicks. Those are the cops that do irritate me. Pull into the parking lot like a civilian, if you're doing something as a civilian.
    because there would never be a call for service at that location?
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I'd agree that we need more police. I've been through one radar trap in probably the last year, and I've driven 24,000 kms. I speed every day and I've gotten one ticket.

For those of you that complain about tickets I'll ask the question I always do. Would you rather your taxes go up to pay for the police instead? Or should we let the speeders/drunk drivers/drivers without insurance pay for the police service instead? Exactly.

When I get a speeding ticket I think of it as a forced donation to a good cause

My Ride
    13 Cayenne Turbo

as much as I hate the cops i agree with bspot, the safer our city will be

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

Originally posted by skandalouz_08
    as much as I hate the cops i agree with bspot, the safer our city will be

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

do you know how many shady characters I've seen at that location? I'm sure they were there to deal with a problem, especially if they had the lights on.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I love how you assume that cops never get called to a McDonalds. It must be a little-known fact that McDonalds locations are 100% crime-free.

Compared to other places I have travelled, Calgary seems to have WAY more cops /quota

i have also heard this from many newcomers to the city

Every police force is going to have a shortage of police officers in the next 5-10 years with a large number retiring and fewer qualified applicants to take their place. Expect this to become a bigger problem in the next few years.

My Ride
    2011 5.0 FX4

When I took some criminal justice courses they had statics on what was a safe officer to civilian ratio. They said then ( 2 years ago) that Calgary was close to the max at 1 officer to 750 civilians. Anything more and when the sh!t hits the fan there won't be enough officers to do anything. NOT to mention that to even become a Officer for calgary you have to jump through too many hoops and then they defer you because you are too police oriented. Calgary has some of the highest standards to become a member where as Edmonton and Rcmp will take alot more less qualified ppl. People are actually going to other cities because they can get in and after two years they transfer back.......to calgary because then they don't have to jump through stupid hoops

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast