Quantcast
Yet another HDTV thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another HDTV thread

My Ride
    Model S

Default Yet another HDTV thread

I am about to buy an HDTV. I would like some recommendations that fit the following criteria:

Minimum resolution: 1080i
    Minimum size: 60"
    Technologies: LCD or DLP (A 1080i 60" Plasma will be too expensive, and I dont want a CRT)

Here are the ones I am aware of:

HP 1080p TVs (Dont seem to have the > 58" in western canada yet)
    Sony SXRD
    Toshiba 1080p
    JVC HD-ILA 1080p (Also not in western Canada)

Now these all happen to be 1080p TVs, but I would be happy with 1080i because I dont think I can see a difference.
    Last edited by googe; 02-26-2006 at 11:01 AM.

My Ride
    Model S

DOH! I just realized something after re-reading the 1080i vs 1080p thread. There is no such thing as a 1080i TV! Now I see why it seemed like rage2 was having trouble understanding me...I thought there was 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, which is why I was confused why people were talking about 720p at all in response to that.

So, apparently all fixed pixel 1080i TVs are native 720p. I thought just some were and some were 1080i. So I was shopping at 1080i and 1080p. Now that I know that there is only 1080p, I guess that makes things easier

Hm, so now I guess I have 2 TVs to choose from (other 2 arent available in any stores out here it seems). SXRD vs Toshiba...unless there is another 1080p Im forgetting.

Anyone done a side by side of these 2?

Last edited by kaput; 03-20-2019 at 06:16 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by kaput
    Aren't true 1080p sources many years away? I thought that even HD-DVDs were going to only be 720p.
    sure, but it doesnt matter because 1080i sources are plenty, and in order to watch 1080i, you need a 1080p TV (because as I said there are no just 1080i TVs)

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

I think you're looking at DLP, buddy. If plasma is out of your price range, and you don't want CRT (good call), then LCD won't work either because A) Over 42" plasmas are cheaper, and B) I don't even think that there's a 60" LCD commercially available.

Looks like DLP is the way to go, and I think Samsung has the edge in that department.

Just a side note: make sure you budget for accessories, like quality cables and such...I think most experts recommend keeping 10% of your budget for things like that.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

Last edited by kaput; 03-20-2019 at 06:16 PM.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

IMO The Sony SXRD 60" is one of the best TVs on the market in its range. HD 1080p, and even the "screen net effect", (compared to LG or Toshiba TV's) is much less noticable. I believe they dropped by $500 in price at futureshop too, I was being offered a good deal at visions $4000 including the 5year warrenty and cables and dvd player. but now i bet if i go back, since the prices droped a bit should be able to get a better deal.

I don't quite understand. I just checked the specs on my 42" LCD and it says it does 720p and 1080i but not 1080p. Isn't that what you mean by a just 1080i TV? Or is there something to do with the actual number of pixels? (I don't quite understand stuff that technical).
    Your TV's native resolution is 1280x720. I believe the 1080i signal will be downconverted to 720p whereas if you have a 1080p TV, the native resolution is 1920x1080 and the picture will look better.

My Ride
    Model S

well just set up my new 72" toshiba 1080p

My Ride
    Model S

I don't quite understand. I just checked the specs on my 42" LCD and it says it does 720p and 1080i but not 1080p. Isn't that what you mean by a just 1080i TV? Or is there something to do with the actual number of pixels? (I don't quite understand stuff that technical).
    yeah, as sabad66 said, your TV takes 1080i input but actually downconverts it to 720. all "1080i" TVs on the market do this...its kind of deceptive.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by HyperZell
    I think you're looking at DLP, buddy. If plasma is out of your price range, and you don't want CRT (good call), then LCD won't work either because A) Over 42" plasmas are cheaper, and B) I don't even think that there's a 60" LCD commercially available.

Looks like DLP is the way to go, and I think Samsung has the edge in that department.

Just a side note: make sure you budget for accessories, like quality cables and such...I think most experts recommend keeping 10% of your budget for things like that.
    if by "experts" you mean future shop "product experts" that make killer markup on useless cable, then yes that 10% figure is the biggest farce in the home theater industry.

My Ride
    NC1

So mine down converts to 720?
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

I wanted to buy the 50 SXRD, simply put, I was blown away by how clear the picture was. Unfortunately I have no room in my house to put a projection TV.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model S

^^ yup, that tv is 1366x768

http://www.epinions.com/Panasonic_TH...ay_~full_specs

most people that thought they had a 1080i TV dont

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

B) I don't even think that there's a 60" LCD commercially available.
    LCD rear projection as well as LCoS (LCD on Silicon) is available up to 70".

If you don't have a 1080p TV, you're not seeing the full 1080i picture.

There is no 1080i native display. All panels are progressive, either 480p, 720p or 1080p. There are some odd resolution displays, 1024x768 in 16:9 format using non square pixels, which degrades quality in a different way by having a totally different pixel count than the native image.

1080i signals can be displayed on anything HDTV ready and in the following quality levels:

HDTV ready EDTV's downscaled to 480p (ewww).
    720p HDTV's downscaled to 780p (not so bad).
    1080p HDTV's deinterlaced to 1080p (sweeeeeet).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by googe

if by "experts" you mean future shop "product experts" that make killer markup on useless cable, then yes that 10% figure is the biggest farce in the home theater industry.
    What cables are you using?

Enjoy your TV.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 02-26-2006 at 06:27 PM.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

No, I don't mean Futureshop experts, I mean everybody who has anything to do with Home Theatre for a living experts. Think about it - if your TV is extremely powerful, and the sources connected to it (DVD player) are too, then what becomes your weakest link? The cables, if you are using basic ones.

Cables

You'll need speaker cables, audio cables, and video cables. You may already have some cables you can use. Just don't forget that very old or very cheap speaker cable can degrade your sound quality, the same way very old or very cheap speakers just don't sound good. Also, "freebie" audio and video cables that come in the box with a component can also result in lower-quality sound or picture; reduced picture quality is especially noticeable with today's high-end TVs, which aren't kind to static or picture flaws.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...me/ht_need.htm

People who cheap out on cables are lying to themselves to save some cash, but they also end up defeating the power of their systems. What's the point of going half assed when you are spending thousands?l

LCD rear projection as well as LCoS (LCD on Silicon) is available up to 70".

That's not LCD. That's LCos. You said it yourself. Also, LCoS is just now making a comeback, and is not as readily available as the other technologies.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1917485,00.asp

My Ride
    Model S

Ive got some philips component cables I grabbed from walmart. Pretty cheap. Come over and I'll bet you my TV that you cant tell the difference If you buy that 10% rule you gotta give your head a shake. A $7000 TV, you think Im gonna buy a $700 cable? I think it cost me $10
    Last edited by googe; 02-27-2006 at 01:50 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

People who cheap out on cables are lying to themselves to save some cash, but they also end up defeating the power of their systems. What's the point of going half assed when you are spending thousands?
    So what do you think I should get for my HDMI and DVI cables? I'm just using cheap ones right now .
    That's not LCD. That's LCos. You said it yourself. Also, LCoS is just now making a comeback, and is not as readily available as the other technologies.
    Well, LCD rear projection is available in 60" from Sony. Reason why they don't go any bigger is because if you're buying a 70" TV, you can afford a more expensive (LCoS) model, so there's no real market for a 70" 720p LCD rear projection model. Not to mention 720p looking a bit low on resolution at 70".

As for not readily available, all my TV's are now LCoS rear projection. Been that way for months now.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

So what do you think I should get for my HDMI and DVI cables? I'm just using cheap ones right now .

Well, LCD rear projection is available in 60" from Sony. Reason why they don't go any bigger is because if you're buying a 70" TV, you can afford a more expensive (LCoS) model, so there's no real market for a 70" 720p LCD rear projection model.

As for not readily available, all my TV's are now LCoS rear projection. Been that way for months now.

Sorry, I meant not readily available relatively speaking, when you look at LCD and plasma. What I mean is that they are not as prevalent in the market yet.

Also, LCD projection is not the same as LCD. A lot of people are unsure of the two terms, but the easiest way to understand it is this:

LCD projection takes a small image and blows it up on an LCD screen.

LCD TVs take a large image and display it on an LCD screen.

LCD TVs are waaaaay better.

As for HDMI and DVI cables, since both are such pure cables (digital, all-encompassing) you don't really have to worry about them. If you want, you can upgrade to Monster, but I don't think it's necessary. Where you should be looking at upgrading is if you use component, or (ugh) S-Video. Also, pay attention to your sound cables, if you aren't getting your sound through HDMI. Optical, and a good optical, cable is the way to go.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Ive got some philips component cables I grabbed from walmart. Pretty cheap. Come over and I'll bet you my TV that you cant tell the difference If you buy that 10% rule you gotta give your head a shake. A $6000 TV, you think Im gonna buy a $600 cable? I think it cost me $10
    Didn't see this post, so I'll double post this time.

The 10% rule is a general rule of thumb that's meant for ALL accesories, including speaker cable and such. It's really just meant to wake you up to the fact that you need to think about accesories as an additional cost. So yeah, $600 would be a lot to spend, lol.

However, I'll bet you that there will be a difference - maybe one not immediately noticable, or one that you will care about. That doesn't mean it isn't there though. Also, do another comparison in a few years - cable degradation is not something a lot of people think about, but if it's not a well-built, magnetically shielded cable...it might not last. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for, and if you go all out on the TV and sounds system, but neglect the smaller stuff, you could be unknowingly limiting the potential of your system.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast