Quantcast
Looking for new summer tires.. which do you suggest.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for new summer tires.. which do you suggest..

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Default Looking for new summer tires.. which do you suggest..

Well the time is coming up soon that i will be needing summer tires.. I currently have Kumho 712's in 225/45/17's and i dont know who has tried these but they dont seem sticky AT ALL! and they seem to wear out VERY quickly and i dont spin them much at all..

Now my old man just got new tires on both his cars and i am looking at them as posible choices for me..

1st set - BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD's... these are on the 87 GNX and seem to hold pretty good even with the big power its putting out.. just dont have very deep tread's and the wear rating is 200AA A

2nd set - GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3's... these are on the 02 Trans Am and he says they hold not bad either, about as good as the tires that came with the car stock, but he also got 4 summers out of them and he drives pretty damn hard on them...

then the last set i am looking at are the GoodYear g-force T/A KDW-2's... which are on Srt-4's stock... and i was told they grip pretty good but then they are only 205's stock where as i am going much wider...

Now any other suggestions would be great... What i am looking for is a tire that is VERY good in dry conditions as well pretty good in the rain as this is a daily driver, and sees the track as well...

sizes i am looking for as well are
    - 255/40/17
    - 245/40/17

let me know your suggestions and what you think...

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

This is my tire choice of the two you offered to choose from...

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD's

BUT having said that...

I have the new Falken Azenis RT-615 and I LOVE these tires. They stick, they look great, are priced fairly resonably for the tire they are...and did I mention they stick??
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    This is my tire choice of the two you offered to choose from...
    BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD's
    BUT having said that...
    I have the new Falken Azenis RT-615 and I LOVE these tires. They stick, they look great, are priced fairly resonably for the tire they are...and did I mention they stick??

do you think the tread wear on them is any good though? like will they last me 2+ summers?

My Ride
    ED & EG

I'm a big yokohama fan, AVS ES100's are great! and will last at least 3 summers, if your alignment is good

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Freebs

do you think the tread wear on them is any good though? like will they last me 2+ summers?
    Depends on what you put them through. My RT-215s lasted 1.5 summers of spirited street driving only. By comparison, my 712s are at about 40% right now after 1 season of spirited street use + a few autocrosses.

My Ride
    Volvo, '84 764ti, '79 242GT

ecsta's stick once they get hot enough...which can take awhile....imo from what i had driven on yoko's (forget which kind but can tll by tread if i find a pic) stick the best but wear out faster...falken azena's (spell?) stick well but not as good...

kumho's are good for a DD sumemr car not really driven spiritedly IMO...

BFGoodrich's are great i hear, goodyear not so much

ciao
    VOLVO - not just a car, it's an addiction.
    Originally posted by rage2
    How about Oprah? She should be fined too. As a man, I find her show offensive as fuck.

Falken azenis are sweet ass tires, for the price you wont find anything grippier...

azenis should last 2 summers... but it depends on how you drive. plus azenis dont like to get too hot

My Ride
    2011 GTR

thank you all.. i will check out the tires you guys suggested...

i guess what im looking for is a tire that will be good on the street but also good for a 1/4mile drag at the track every other friday... and still be good for a few seasons... i know since i want it to last for a few seasons with the racing it cant be to grippy but thats where i want to go as close to that fine line as i can...

also im looking to spend not much more then about $1000-$1200 for the tires... since the ones my old man just got came to $1500 with every thing from install, balancing tire recycle charge ect... and thoughs were 275/40/17's....
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    '97 SAAB 9000 Aero

Buy from tirerack, and save a bundle. Those g-force KDWs:
    $125 a tire $150cdn
    factor $50 for shipping
    factor $48 for brokerage
    factor $80 for mounting
    $778
    Just make sure to remind them to include a nafta form.

also im looking to spend not much more then about $1000-$1200 for the tires... since the ones my old man just got came to $1500 with every thing from install, balancing tire recycle charge ect... and thoughs were 275/40/17's....

My Ride
    cb7

sorry to hijack but is the nafta (north ameerican free trade agreement?) the way to exempt yourself from those fuckin customs charges cause those would be horrendous on something like tires

My Ride
    2011 GTR

well i always look on tire rack to get an idea about performance of the tires.. and compair them to other but i dont think i would ever order them from them... if i ever had a problem with a tire i would want the shop to be in town...
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    '97 SAAB 9000 Aero

That's definitely a risk you take. When I bought my last set of tires, it was less than half the cost. It really irks me that local tire shops are marking up the tires 100-300%. If tirerack can sell a tire at $100, you know that their cost is less than $80. Then you see the same tire here for $300+. Maybe I should get into the tire business.

And yes, the nafta form prevents you from paying duty, which is about 6-7%.

well i always look on tire rack to get an idea about performance of the tires.. and compair them to other but i dont think i would ever order them from them... if i ever had a problem with a tire i would want the shop to be in town...

My Ride
    04 Rsx-s,07 Frontier, 11 ss/rs

Order from tiretrends.com, they were great to me.
    Vancouver company I think, no duty crap.
    Shipped quick, and good prices.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Originally posted by EK 2.0

Those are sweet tires...