Quantcast
Fishing spots - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12

Thread: Fishing spots

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Went fishing at Bear Pond last weekend, down off the Forestry Truck Road. It was beautiful, but didn't catch a thing, not even a nibble.

Anyone have good fishing reccommendations off the Trunk Road?
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Has anyone done drift fishing down the Bow starting at Policeman's flats and finishing at Mckinnon flats? I'm planning on doing it sometime in August. How long does it take to just drift it without stopping to fish? Any dangerous sections or fishing tips that I should be aware of?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Hey, heading out to Sibbald Lake this weekend. Any fish there? If so, what did you use for bait for angling?

Edit: hmm.. didn't see the thread date.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    90hp beast

Originally posted by sillysod
    I have a 4 year old and haven't been fishing in years (never fished around calgary) where would be a decent place, close to town, where I would be most likely to catch something.

Trout, Pike, I don't care what we catch - stocked ponds are fine too. Just want to take him out and see if he likes it or not.

Thanks in advance
    The fish hatchery down by Pearce Park Estate is a great place to take your 4 year old. It's got a little fishing pond for the little guys to practice fishing in.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

^ That's great. I just bought my Minion a fishing rod last night. She's more stoked than I am.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    90hp beast

Originally posted by codetrap
    Hey, heading out to Sibbald Lake this weekend. Any fish there? If so, what did you use for bait for angling?

Edit: hmm.. didn't see the thread date.
    Sibbald area is usually hit pretty hard by people because its still considered close to town. Try hiking a few minutes into the bush and you'll find some nice holes for fish

Also who the hell is cutting down trees in that area?

My Ride
    BMW

I went to little bow last year by the water spillway, caught about 5 walleyes...not big enought o keep though

Any ideas for some smaller creeks and streams, slow moving water that are close to town? I picked up some small Rapala minnow lures this weekend to cast off the shore with a spinner, no luck on the bow.

Been out lots since I picked up a rod again almost a month ago. Upgraded to a nice Abu Garcia spinning reel with a Fenwick rod. Anyways here's where I've been...

Bow River via glenmore/deerfoot, couple times. Casting from under the bridge, not much action. Seen a fish come along shore once. No luck catching anything from this location. May try wading out to the gravel island near here and casting with the current tomorrow evening.

Rawson Lake. Awesome sights and cutthroat fishing here, it's catch and release making for a relatively well stocked lake. Lot's of hikers come up on weekends, about a 3KM hike +1000ft on a well maintained trail. Lake is very clear, you can see the fish follow and take your lure. Caught a few 8-10 inch cuts, and one 15 inch. Witnessed some poachers catching and keeping on the bushy side of the lake though.

Waiparous - I tagged along with a guy from work who fly fishes, we fished a creek here (forget the name, will look it up). Easy to find if you've gone offroading here, you do need a 4WD, dirt bike, quad, or mountain bike though or be prepared for a long hike. Caught numerous 8 inch brooks and cuts working up and down the creek and in the holes. Wear waders or man up and go in some board shorts lol. Hit up a pond/beaver dam and managed to catch a 18+ inch bull trout. You are allowed 2 brook here unless you have the special permit for brook which lets you catch and keep as many brook as you want as part of a SRD program.

Carburn Park - Nice little place right here in town. Supposedly pike and perch in the 2nd and 3rd ponds. Didn't have much luck in the third which is closest to the bow. Came across a guy and his wife fishing the 2nd pond, and said he had caught a couple.

Dewitts pond - Small pond just west of Airdrie. Supposedly stocked with rainbows earlier this year, but algae bloom pretty much has killed the lake. Tons of weeds, no fun, no fish.

Pine Coulee - Numerous people I've talked to has said they catch dozens of walleye at this place every time they fish it. I went on a pretty busy day, best place to fish is by the bridge in the middle of the reservoir, but it was packed with fishermen and their kids, tried some other places around the shore, got some nibbles, but never brought one in. Were a ton of boats on the water tossing up wake currents everywhere, so I cut this trip short.

Hogarth Lakes - Went here today, it's assessable via a snowshoe trail, its not well marked, but the trail is pretty easy to find and well groomed. Short 2KM hike from the trail head brings you to the lakes, there's 3 small lakes, I fished the 2nd one. Caught a couple 8 inch cuts, water is clear, don't think there are very big fish in here though. Tip: Be sure not to miss where you hang a right after you get on your way from the trail head, or you will end up at the Burstall lakes instead (which may have good fishing too, but I didn't try).

Upper kananaskis - Hit this up after Hogarth. Waded up to my knees in the water and casted off the South-west side of the lake, just below the pathway that takes you to Rawson. Had a few minnows follow my lure. And saw a few risers jump up for flies. But not much action most likely due to the hot afternoon weather. Ended up going for a swim to fetch my lure that got caught up on a rock, lol.
    Last edited by Cooked Rice; 08-18-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Nice report, thanks!

If you want a guaranteed fish, head down just past Longview to Chain Lakes. Can use bait. Can fish from shore and you'll catch fish. You can also keep up to 5 trout. They're not huge, but lots of action.
    They even have RV camping with power there. No fires though

Originally posted by TimH
    Has anyone done drift fishing down the Bow starting at Policeman's flats and finishing at Mckinnon flats? I'm planning on doing it sometime in August. How long does it take to just drift it without stopping to fish? Any dangerous sections or fishing tips that I should be aware of?
    A tad late for a reply but maybe you havent gone yet. It should be about a 5 hour float. With high water Ive done it in 4 hours. Its not a dangerous section of water at all. When the water is low just be careful for large rocks in the water that can possibly hit your boat. Just cast towards the shore and you will be fine. Fish the seams and deep pools.

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    Been out lots since I picked up a rod again almost a month ago. Upgraded to a nice Abu Garcia spinning reel with a Fenwick rod. Anyways here's where I've been...

Bow River via glenmore/deerfoot, couple times. Casting from under the bridge, not much action. Seen a fish come along shore once. No luck catching anything from this location. May try wading out to the gravel island near here and casting with the current tomorrow evening.

I've had some luck near the bridge but not under the bridge. On the north side of the river east of the bridge. Across from the glenmore golf course there are some deep pools there. Caught some large browns there.

But generally i find the fishing not nearly as good as from Fish Creek Park and downwards.

Kinda of a hot day to go fishing, but I figure I'd try my luck again on the bow. I went to fish creek where the creek runs into the river. Found a nice boulder sitting in the river about 3M from the shore just under the surface of the water, made my onto it and casted off that. Spent about 2 hours there with a rainbow Rapala original floater size 7 with no luck, kept catching drifting aquatic plants instead Heard lots of guys using countdowns in size 7s in the bow with success. I tried countdowns but found I was getting them snagged on rocks and weeds down below and losing them. Were a few other guys fishing, one fly fishing and didn't seem like they were getting anything either.

Will probably try sibbald pond next weekend.

Yeah each time i go on a float i lose a shit load of stuff that gets caught between rocks and in weeds too. I use countdowns in size 9 and they work fine for me. I hope you are not standing in the same place for 2 hours. The thing about the river is the fish are suspended and normaly not moving. When i fish from shore I generally do a few casts in a spot then move a couple feet up/down stream. Have you tried panther martins in sizes 6 - 9 (orange, brown, gold)?

Have a bunch of panthers, pretty much all I've been using in the lakes and they work awesome.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Was at the Highwood this weekend, caught some whitefish and rainbows, but only one over a foot long. 6 were caught total between me and a friend. Can't recall where we were, as it was my first time out there, but we went through this little slit cut into a barbwire fence. Great day out though!

Originally posted by -relk-
    Was at the Highwood this weekend, caught some whitefish and rainbows, but only one over a foot long. 6 were caught total between me and a friend. Can't recall where we were, as it was my first time out there, but we went through this little slit cut into a barbwire fence. Great day out though!
    Nice! Not a bad day. Did you keep the one whitefish? I've never eaten one.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Nice! Not a bad day. Did you keep the one whitefish? I've never eaten one.
    No, another fisherman said he had spotted a black bear about a km down the river, and we didnt want to risk it. I have never had one either, but my buddy has eaten lots from the Highwood and says they are pretty good.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Did my first ever flyfishing last week on a float down the Bow. It was fun, but I think I still prefer a classic cast-and-reel rod.

Does anyone know if Bear Pond (Off the Trunk road past Indian Graves) has fish in it this year?

We'll be out there in a week and a half to camp and didn't want to waste another half day fishing a spot only to find out later it had winter kill.

Any other good fishing spots out near Indian Graves?

Thanks,
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12