Quantcast
Contact Lenses Q's - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Contact Lenses Q's

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Default Contact Lenses Q's

Just wondering how many people on here use contact lenses and for how long they've had them for. I've had glasses since I was 12 (24 now) and I'm thinking of getting contacts. Even back in the day when I played high school ball I used the old school Horace Grant style goggles but now I think I want to change it up.

Question is are disposables the best way to go and how easy is it to get used to contact lenses? The thought of shoving something into my eye kinda makes me a little weary.

My Ride
    impreza

Takes a couple days to get used to it. Poking my eye all the time had me worried at first, but now its just normal business. Disposables are a good choice, I tend to get ones that last 2 weeks or a month. You shouldn't wear them for more than 8 hours a day.

I've had them for over ten years, and haven't had any problems with them - even getting better than 20/20 vision. I've always used those monthly disposables to keep things fairly clean. Make sure you get a good optometrist so that you get a well fitted lenses, since even a slightly off lense can
    be super irritating.

Btw, I believe that Visions in chinatown is probably the cheapest around town, and they have a couple of optometrists on-site.

Go to an optometrist, and try out their free trial. Its where they put contacts on you and let you walk around for a few hours to see how you like it and if they suit your eyes. If youve been wearing glasses for 12 years, getting contacts will be the greatest feeling in the world! And dont worry about being afraid to touch your eye or whatever, everyone is nervous at first, shit my brother took 3 hours to put them in the first time, but everyone gets used to it after doing it 2-3 times urself. Go try them out and you will see if theyre for you or not

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

wow, no comparison, contacts are hands down far superior, you dont even notice them or feel them in. As far as putting them in and taking out, it will be easy after a couple of days. Go with disposables as they will stay cleaner therefore allowing your eyes to breathe better. The only downfall with contacts is your eyes will feel tired after 10+ hours of wearing them. Otherwise best decision you will make

My Ride
    Kompressor

I've had contacts for almost 8 years. They're not that hard to put in. For me, it was harder to take out than to put in.

Once you have them in, you won't feel a thing, unless if you have dust or something.

My Ride
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Needs a new ride)

Having moved from Edmonton a few years ago, I noticed a huge difference in my ability to wear contacts. What was once 8-10 hours quickly became 4-5. My eyes just could not stand the Southern Alberta climate.

I tried eye drops, different solution, and frequent eye washes. Nothing worked.

Until, my optometrist showed me these new "breathable" lenses. I can't remember exactly, but they're made with some kind of material that allows the eye to breathe.

Anyways, if you have really sensitive eyes, I highly recommend Bausch and Lomb lenses. I'm not big on the disposables, but whatever floats your boat.

As for solution, I've found Clear Care to be the best.

Hope this helps.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I have my yearly eye appt tomorrow morning with the optometrist I've been going to for awhile. I'll ask him about contacts and see if he does this trial.

I was thinking of just getting a month supply and trying it out. If I like it I'll get more and if I don't then I'll go back to glasses. It's just a pain in the ass having to have regular glasses and then carrying sun glasses as well.

ive had contacts for about 5 or 6 years now.

and i must say even though they are better than glasses, they get to be a hassle.

i recommend the monthly ones and just wear them for 2 months,

its perfectly fine as long as you keep them clean

My Ride
    Slow and cute

i only have mine for when its inconvenient to wear glasses (snowboarding, wakeboarding, surfing) but it took absolutely no time to get used to, literally within the first hour u forget theyr in, fells completely natural. disposables are so much more comfortable than the hard ones, definetly the way to go. go for it, enjoy!

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Contact are way better, I think when I got them after a year or tw my vision didn't get any worse. But I used to keep them in for 10+ hours a day (not a good idea), I finally bought pair of glasses. I tend to wear my glasses at home and contact whenever I'm out (gives me more contact life too).
    Just make sure you clean the lense properly.
    Putting them in and out will be a pin in the ass first few days.

I have my contacts on about 16 hours a day on average for the past 10 years and have had no ill effects. Just don't cheap out on the cleaning solution. Those breathable lenses didn't work for me though, the optometrist said that asian eyeballs won't fit them well. lol.

Oh btw, they just recalled a bunch of the Bausch and Lomb Renu solution in the US yesterday. Something about being connected to an eye fungus. Damn...i just bought two bottles of them too.

I've seen a couple mixed suggestions in here on how long to wear them - I work 16-17 hours/day, and needs glasses during that entire time. Is it safe to wear them?

And what sort of costs are involved with contacts (As my plan includes everything but glasses)?

My Ride
    1996 ek

same here contacts for 12 years and there is only one thing that would be better and that would be laser. ANyways I wear 1 month pairs but usually wear them longer than that. I wear them till they start bothering me even just a bit. 60$ a box and lasts me allmost a year. don't wear for more than 8 or 9 hours a day. i don't have glasses anymore since my ex broke them so I wear my contacts like 12 to 13 hours a day and my eyes always hurt now. so like it was said 8 hours no more a day to be on the safe side.

My Ride
    Blazaah

If you have a temper and no patience, you may not have them long haha I got contacts bout a year ago cause i couldnt wear glasses they always gave me a headache, I could just never get them in, in the morning before I had to head to work so one day it really pissed me off and i threw them and everything to do with them in the garbage......I was thinking about trying them again though cause my eyes are getting bad and i wont wear glasses cause of the whole headache thing lol

My Ride

For those who have never worn contacts, I wouldnt suggest starting out wearing them for 8 hr+ days. When i first started it wearing contacts, it took me some time to adjust to them where I could comfortably wear them all day. It also depends a lot on the brand you buy, if you cheap out on something like Coopervison instead of something like Acuve dont expect alot of comfort.

On another note...

Not really trying to hijack this thread as its on a similar note, but for those who buy contacts, where do you get them from. I was looking at some online canadian sites for contacts and they seem to be half the price of what you would get quoted in a store. Has anyone ever purchased these online.

My Ride
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Needs a new ride)

I buy mine from Lens Sender Express. Obviously, you'll need the prescription from your optometrist. This is far cheaper than buying them through your doctor. The markup is crazy on these things.

LenSender Express offers:

Brand Name lenses as prescribed by your doctor starting from $29.95

Many disposable lenses in stock

FREE delivery within Alberta to your home or office

Same day shipping of in-stock lenses

Optifree, Complete and Clear Care Solutions

Payment by Visa, MasterCard or American Express

Ph: (780) 424-3937
    Toll Free: 1-800-801-3937

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

Been wearing contacts for about 6 years now, also using the one month disposibles. I wear about 12 to 18 hours a day and i'm usually fine with them now. Doesn't irritate me at all.

But i remember the optomitrist say you should start out with only 6 hours a day or something when I for got them. Then every couple days increase it by an hour so your eyes can adjust properly.

best site is www.clearlycontacts.ca

ive ordered from there like 5 or 6 times, always good service and fast shipping
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Had my eye appt today. Going in on the 25th for a contact fitting. If I like them I can go ahead and order some and if I don't I just pay $50 for the appointment. I can live with that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast