Quantcast
Studying Tips - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Studying Tips

Default Studying Tips

Hey,

So final exams are almost here and just wanted to know some studying tips each person uses?

-Telling yourself you WANT to study, rather than HAVE to study. That will help you overcome procrastination.
    -Take breaks doing something that will take your mind off your studies for 15 minutes or so.
    -Lastly, most important, stay away from a computer! Especially Beyond

My Ride
    GTI

I find that studying right before I go to sleep and FIRST thing when I wake up is the best. You refresh everything you read the night before when you wake up and I find that it really maximizes knowledge retention

I have minimized my studying time and I do well on tests I usually go over my notes right before the test as well if I have time.

It's important to get a lot of rest and eat well as well, gotta be comfortable when you go in to write an exam.

Good luck.

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

study in a library, away from home worked well for me
    set a goal and take a break, only take breaks when your goal is met (ex: read two chapters and then take a 15 minute break)
    make sumary notes from your notes, forces you to read them, takes a while but u can absorb quite a bit of info, also these are great for crunch time studying right before the test

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Get out of your house, a TV or computer will kill your efforts. Set goals for yourself, eg. do at least 5 chapters before your break then at least 3 after that before quitting for the day.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

the key to my studying is to say everything outloud. I find it alot easy to memorize things ( im in biological ) if I hear it rather than jjust reading it off a text book. and usually at the end of each section I try to summerize everything to myself by teaching myself the topic.

Pretty much why i never go to the library.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

and I plan everything ahead of time. there is a list of stuff I want to accomplish everyday before I go to bed, so that I won't end up cramming 12 hours before the exam. I personally think craming never works, much rather have a full 8 hours of sleep.

My Ride
    2006 Honda Civic LX

I re-write out my notes, it really helps me memorize everything. But I suppose it depends on what kind of learner you are...

Oh yeh, study EARLY EARLY EARLY! You should study AT LEAST 1 week in advance. Devote some time for each subject each night, and try to master a small section as best you can. This way you won't feel overwhelmed as the test date nears.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Things that help me study are reading outloud, understand a concept, be able to repeat it outloud as if you're explaining it to someone...make sure no one else is home as this can make people think you're insane At the end of that chapter for example, I'll just run through it again, make up questions that are basic enough to cover everything in that topic.

A buddy of mine studies by doing a chapter, using a word in abbreviated form by just stating a letter and just listing off these letters. Do this for all your chapters and then go back and see if you can remember what they are. I havn't tried this...seems odd but he does well so something must be clicking. Good luck!

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by msommers

A buddy of mine studies by doing a chapter, using a word in abbreviated form by just stating a letter and just listing off these letters. Do this for all your chapters and then go back and see if you can remember what they are. I havn't tried this...seems odd but he does well so something must be clicking. Good luck!
    That works wonders. Thats what i do. I scan the entire exam and put down the acronyms in pencil in the margins wherever relevent throughout the exam.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

i'll be trying out these tips. any more out there?

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

do u guys suggest re doing old exams as a good study way
    cause thats the only thing i tend to do when it comes to studying
    and well i dont really know how well its helped me
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Study in the shower, in the crapper, on your drive, on the bus, while you're eating, etc Basically, recite your information from your memory as best you can without your notes. That way you know exactly what you need to learn.

Originally posted by dezmarez
    do u guys suggest re doing old exams as a good study way
    cause thats the only thing i tend to do when it comes to studying
    and well i dont really know how well its helped me
    Depends on the course... in general, yes, so you can get an idea of the material they're testing on.

I just do tons of homework questions, and it works for me. I do all my studying in front of the TV, it stops me from falling asleep, as weird as that sounds. Different things work for different people.

My Ride
    S250T, 435ZHS

I go hide somewhere with nobody else for a couple hours.
    I usually cram the night before also (not recommended) but it usually works for me alright as I forget stuff pretty quikly if I study too early.
    Be motivated and don't get distracted basically.

My Ride
    Juiced n' Stroked GT35R 4G63, C6 Z06

pint of beer before your exam, curtosy of steve in GNST 300 with glasberg

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

For one of my Bio tests, I studied my ass off, going through all the chapters and that and also picked up a study guide which was basically a bunch of questions for each chapter. Then about 4 hours before the exam, I studied everything over. At this point it should all be review and just a refresher instead of something new to know. It is also a great way to see if you missed something by accident by doing this with a group of people. Me being very competitive, I find that hanging out with a smarter group makes me study harder so I don't look like an idiot and try to do better than them!

Most textbooks should also have questions at the end of each chapter. Re-doing old exams isn't a bad thing but it all depends on the prof that you have. Example, writing style, expectations etc.