Quantcast
MBA program at U of C - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MBA program at U of C

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

Default MBA program at U of C

anybody here enrolled in or know some one who is taking the MBA program at the U of C? From what I have read its a fairly new program, just looking for some first hand experience of what the program is like, workload, doing this while working full time, etc.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I am taking it right now... if you are talking about the part-time program.

It is basically full time. You take 3 courses a semester. Plan on having no social life and having no evenings or weekends. You have to commit to it for 3 years.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

^ I think I saw you while I was picking up my gf at Scurfield a couple months back.

What's the estimated weekly time commitment both to classes and homework? Are there a lot of group based projects, or is it more individualized? What about the time commitment to prepare for the GMAT? I'm thinking of taking the last GMAT of this year, so that I can jump into the MBA program after I finish my accounting designation next year. Thanks!

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

sounds like what I expected, how far are you in benyl and are you taking any of the specializations? what kind of GMAT score did u need to get in, so far, have you found it to be worth the investment you have put in?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Is there a minimum number of years that you have to of had after getting your undergrad?

I've looked at a few places (Not UofC) and most have a minimum 2yrs between undergrad (So Working) and enrolling in your MBA

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

from what I have seen, most programs want you to have 2-3 years of work experience to get into their MBA programs, though I have seen schools where their MBA program is new, is not as picky with this requirement as they want to boost up enrollment, one of my friends is currently in the MBA program at the UofR and he got in right after completing his undergrad, but i know UofR is pretty slack with who they let in because the MBA program is very new, same with UofS

Oh ya...is there a difference between part-time MBA and executive MBA?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

For the executive (Correct me if Im wrong) but you have to be older.. it is meant for people that are looking for a fast route MBA that already have a fully established career.

My Ride
    Civicnation

plus the eMBA's are super expensive too I think... probably because many employers pay for it.

Ya..they're $40-60k and up. My boss'll pay for it if I get in.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

sorry guys, I have been in Florida this past week. I will get to you questions in a bit

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

thanks, much apprecaited, does anyone also know that if you are working for a large organization such as shell, telus, nexen, etc if they will help pay for your MBA?

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Is there a minimum number of years that you have to of had after getting your undergrad?

I've looked at a few places (Not UofC) and most have a minimum 2yrs between undergrad (So Working) and enrolling in your MBA
    i'm wondering about this too. when i looked into it a couple years ago, they look for work experience. also, what do they look at besides your gmat? just your undergrad marks? or anything else in particular? how hard in general is it to get in?
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

from what I have read it depends on the school, some schools weigh GMAT scores more heavily, some put more weight on your undergrad, but in general, they care about your GMAT score more. Also, now this is what I have heard, how much they care about your undergrad mark can vary with which program you graduated from, because some undergrad programs are harder than others, tho i don't know if this is true. I think it just comes down to work expeirence and GMAT in the end, i think most schools look for you to score around 700 give or take

My Ride
    2009 Forester

about eMBAs, your employer pays for and sponsors you in this program. i believe that every second week you are in class Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday from 8am-5pm. Add to that studying, assignments, blaballab plus your real job plus your family life (guy I know in the eMBA program is 1/2 way thru and he just had his 1st baby 10 days ago).
    Tim

I called the Haskayne MBA office a while ago, and they gave me a formula of X times GPA + Y times GMAT > certain level to be accepted.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

so if i do good on my GMAT, is it possible for me to get in? I have a 2.86 GPA. I know on the website it says you need a 3.0

my last year and half averaged 3, but my fall 04 courses averaged to like a 2.3

thanks

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

ok, you need 550 for the GMAT. Higher than that will help, but really, most MBA schools want you money. Schools like Harvard, Princeton etc will probably look at your marks, but Queens and U of C look at them, but they don't seem to matter.

The full time MBA is more focused on people looking for a career change. You take classes about "finding" youself. In the part time and eMBA, they figure you are just enhancing you skillset.

The eMBA is not buying your MBA. It isn't easy, but the format is different and is somewhat condenced as they expect you to be at the director level and have 7-10 years of experience. The eMBA is more expensive and there are perks to that price. There is no set rule on whether you company pays for it... that is up to your employer.

The part time MBA takes 3 years, the full time MBA takes 2. The full time MBA seems to be full of very competitive people that really don't have any work experience. Typically people who couldn't get a job or are changing jobs. Most finished their undergrad but didn't get out in the work force (that is a generalization on my part). In the part time crowd, most people have work experience and are currently working. There are some green people in there too.

Don't kid yourself into believing that getting your MBA with get you a job that pays $100K after you graduate. The most important thing that employers still look for is experience. MBA or not, you need experience to get a good high paying job. The MBA just makes the ceiling you reach in your career a little higher than those without it.

So far, I have learned quite a bit, but at the same time my life doesn't exist. I probably spent every night in October and November at school. Staying at home had too many distractions like TV and Beyond... haha.

If you really want to do your MBA, apply. If you have a decent GPA and a decent GMAT... i.e. 3.0 and 550, you will get in. Like I said, they want your money more than they want you. (My cousin got into the Queen's MBA without an Undergrad degree).

Any of you guys know if there are part time MSc programs? I'm leaning more towards the MSc.. although I'm not set to do my MBA until 2008..

cool, lots of good info here. i don't know anyone personally who has an mba so this thread is good. i'm on internship and will finish my undergrad in engineering this fall/winter. i don't plan to do a mba for a couple years after that. i want to get p.eng certification and some decent work experience first.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast