Quantcast
Aerating Your Lawn - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aerating Your Lawn

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

^ I heard you're suppose to do it before winter NOT after. Dont know if its true.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

I don't do it and my lawn kicks ass. But if you've got really hard soil I can see the point.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

ULS will do aerating. I don't work in the lawn mowing/cleanup department so I don't know average prices, call 235-5353 and ask about it.

Aerating has the advantage of allowing the nutrients that are at the root level of grass to "breathe," ie get more oxygen and nitrogen in. It's not a necessity, but it will help with getting a firmer blade of grass (still soft, tho) and a good lush green to the color, which can be helped with good fertilizer. As I said in the other thread, a good starting fert is a 35-5-10 to establish the green and get the grass growing, and then every month apply some 28-10-10 or better "maintenance" fertilizer to keep the lawn green and beautiful.

ULS will do all of that for you if you want to pay for a summer package (I think it's between $175-250 for four months (may-june-july-august), I only handle application, not sales, so don't quote me on that :P).

If you're doing it yourself, the best application method is water based solution, applied with wide and even swipes of the arm while walking backwards (so that you don't step in the applied fert too much), but that can get a little expensive. Granular fertilizer that isn't high quality can cause lawn burn and uneven growth. Good shit (Scott's Turfbuilder, industrial grade stuff like we use, etc) is more balanced and leads to a nicer lawn. With lawn care, it's actually better to spend that little bit extra and get the good stuff, or even have a company do it.

And in case you're wondering, ULS's Tree and Lawn departments are the largest in Calgary for specific treatment. Green Drop is the single largest fertilizing only company, but ULS is the largest combo mowing/planting/cleaning/ferting/etc company in Calgary. We also have lots of hot girls working in the mowing department
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Aleks
    ^ I heard you're suppose to do it before winter NOT after. Dont know if its true.
    Best times to aerate are in early spring and early fall.
    Geek

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Thanks Simon and group.

I found this small blurb on "aerating" from HowThingsWork.com

Aerating

When soil gets compacted -- from foot traffic, mowing and the like -- oxygen can't reach the microbes that break down organic matter to enrich the soil. To keep your lawn healthy, it's a good idea to aerate it periodically -- to open up the compacted soil.

Manual and power core-aerators remove narrow sections of soil to form shallow holes. Air, water and organic material spread into the ground through the holes, revitalizing the soil. If heavy traffic compacts your lawn severely, it's best to aerate it every spring or fall.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by Fluidic
    My question is... does this whole "breathing" better thing actually make the grass thicker, greener or whatever? To be honest, I don't want to do it to my lawn this year, it looks like tiny pieces of shit, and when I cut the lawn the week after, they get all sucked up into the bag anyways.

Just seems pointless. Lawn is lawn, and if you manage it properly with the right amount of water and fertilizer, I personally don't think you will notice a difference.

Ideas? Comments?
    over time soil compacts, its easier to see in older/poorer neighbourhoods, by aerating not only are you getting oxygen into the turf, you make it easier for your lawn to thicken

My Ride
    Has Three Pedals

get yourself some aerating shoes and start walking boy!

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by Hakkola

Surferbaby reincarnate?
    haha, whatever happened to her??

redlyne mr2's sister right?

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    ULS will do aerating. I don't work in the lawn mowing/cleanup department so I don't know average prices, call 235-5353 and ask about it.
    Out of curiousity - what does it cost to have someone mow my lawn all summer? And how often do they mow?

<I'm in Edmonton, but curious of the ballpark price>

My Ride
    96 T/A

We also have lots of hot girls working in the mowing department
    awesome.. I just bought a house, so I need some hot girls to get my lawn ready after 4 years of neglect...

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by TrevorK

Out of curiousity - what does it cost to have someone mow my lawn all summer? And how often do they mow?

&lt;I'm in Edmonton, but curious of the ballpark price&gt;
    I really don't know off by hand, but the advert on the side of the watering truck I drive sometimes says "Starting at $185.00." I'll talk to the mowing manager dude and get an accurate quote
    Geek

you can rent the equipment from home depot and do it yourself it's not that hard.

I really don't know off by hand, but the advert on the side of the watering truck I drive sometimes says &quot;Starting at $185.00.&quot; I'll talk to the mowing manager dude and get an accurate quote
    Thanks - with working 80 hours/week, I'm almost thinking it's worth my time to have someone else mow it weekly for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2