Quantcast
The "Whyte Mile" - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Whyte Mile"

My Ride
    Model S

Default The "Whyte Mile"

EDMONTON - Thousands of fans fuelled by a spectacular Oilers win filled Whyte Avenue after Monday night's game, crowd-surfing, flashing and chanting.
    By 11 p.m., the 105th Street intersection was choked with noisy fans delirious that the Oilers beat the Detroit Red Wings 4-3 in Game 6 to win their first-round series 4-2.
    One girl got on the shoulder of a friend and flashed the crowd several times as people took pictures with cellphones. Some fans tried to light a Calgary Flames flag with lighters in the middle of the intersection.
    One driver stood on his black car, denting the top of it before police stepped in and the driver drove away.
    Things got rowdy on one corner as a group of men knocked down a newspaper box and the back windshield of a police car was smashed. Another man rushed the street and flashed the crowd, yelling obscenities.
    "This is much better than the Red Mile," said Janelle, 22, who was with the Calgary fans there Saturday night. "It's more packed."
    "They were all in red but they didn't know anything about hockey."
    By 11:15 p.m., when the police tactical team arrived, armed with tear gas, people chanted but were not confrontational.
    Earlier in the evening, fans filled Rexall Place and got prepared for the most important game of the year to date.
    Arthur Benoit carried around an aluminum foil Stanley Cup he'd made the night before. Another fan held a sign that read, "Better dead than any shade of red."
    A city radio station displayed a Red Wings effigy inside a coffin, and fans donned cardboard helmets for the gritty battle ahead. A semi-truck decked out in Oilers flags drove up and down Wayne Gretzky Drive, its horn blaring and a red pickup in tow with "Roadkill" spray-painted on its doors.
    Many fans believed that Game 6 would be the final one.
    "There's no way it's going back to Detroit," predicted Benoit, 20.
    "I said from the beginning when Detroit and Edmonton were going to hook up that we'll take it in six," gloated Kelly Halls, 36, who was part of a group that drowned out TSN's Ryan Rishaug at the scene of a live interview.
    Fans on Whyte Avenue were anxiously glued to TVs after Ales Hemsky tucked in his second of the game. During the last faceoff, with five seconds to go, a man in Hudson's Tap House stood on a table, took off his shirt and starting chanting for the Oilers. As the clock hit zero, fans rejoiced -- dancing, hugging and splashing beer.
    Honking drivers blanketed "Blue and Whyte Avenue" and fans lost their voices, all while police officers hovered on the sidewalk.
    Now the Oilers look ahead to round two, which potentially means a renewed Battle of Alberta with Calgary, which lost to Anaheim 2-1 on Monday night to force Game 7 in Calgary on Wednesday.
    Fans haven't had an Oilers-Flames matchup in the playoffs since 1991.
    If it happens, "It'll rekindle all the bad blood in about two minutes," said Richard Fraser, 59, who attended the game with his son Jon.
    Jon, 25, who is a student in Calgary, said he knows many people who have become Flames fans only in recent years.
    "It's really going to create a rift in the province again just because people hate the Flames that much," he said.
    Richard knows his son is a loyal Edmontonian, but he hopes younger fans will familiarize themselves with the intense rivalry between the two Alberta teams that became famous in the 1980s.
    "It's very important that we instil the hatred all over again. It has to be inter-generational and we must pass it on," he said.
    Mark Kreamer, 28, knows this even though he was just 15 years old the last time the two Alberta giants met. The difference since then, he said, is that Oilers fans have remained faithful despite some dismal seasons.
    "Their jerseys still smell like Sport Chek," Kreamer said of Flames fans.
    Hearing that, Gilda Edwards, 42, laughed and said beating the Flames is almost as important as winning the Stanley Cup. Almost.
    They had to get out the tear gas and its only the first round...

should be an interesting round 2 with the flames
    Last edited by googe; 05-02-2006 at 09:17 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Holy come up with your own shit fuckin' greasers.

pfffft the whyte mile hahahahhaha. I saw that shit on CBC yesterday after the game and it was nothing compared to 17th ave. A regular day on 17th is probably wilder than a winning night on the "Whyte Mile".

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Default Re: The "Whyte Mile"

Originally posted by googe

They had to get out the tear gas and its only the first round...

should be an interesting round 2 with the flames
    I was in Calgary on Saturday and it was fine, no big problems.. I was out last night in Edmonton as well and it was fine too.

The media are playing up any and every little tiny incident in the cities, the Edmonton Sun reported on Sunday that Calgary was 'burning' after Saturday's party.. BS

They make it sound like it was a bad scene here in Edmonton in the Calgary papers, and they make it sound like Calgary was under seige in the Edmonton paper. Stupid media!
    Bought not built!

My Ride

hahah sounds a tad bit over exadurated

anyway, cant beat the ORIGINAL "red mile"

My Ride
    This and that.

Fucking copy cats wannabe pathetic jerks!!

Man o man..I can't wait till the round 2 between Calgary and Edmonton...(hopefuly calgary will make it)..its gonna be freaking INSANE!

My Ride
    Model S

^I heard the cops were inflating the numbers to 30,000, and that bar owners along whyte said they saw pics of the red mile after game 5 and to say whyte had anything close to 17th was a joke, and they had maybe 8000-10000

try hards

It's gonna be ugly with the Oiler fans getting in on the action down on 17th.

I remember in '04 a Tac team excursion drove past 17th on Macleod with a Flames window flag on the Excursion and gave everyone hi fives on the sidewalk through the window, that was pretty cool. No tear gas, batons or anything.
    Last edited by l8braker; 05-02-2006 at 09:33 PM.

In Edmonton's defense, out of the 20 or 30 women that were there, the one chick they showed on the news that flashed was pretty hot, the rest should have been at home with bags over their faces. The Whyte Sausage Fest was more like it.

My Ride
    This and that.

^^^

o BTW...does anyone know of any online links where I can watch the game live? LIke streaming links or something? I am in Scotland can't watch it on TV...if someone can get me a link that would enable me to watch the games online it would be freaking amazing! cheers

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

your 2 years behind edmonton

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I was there .. from 8 pm to app. 11:30 ..

Yeah .. lots of people .. actually .. lots of cars .. for 3.5 hr .. could only drive few blocks ..

What I saw .. everything was fine .. didn't see any crazy thing happened

I guess the diff is, Red mile, all the flames' fans are walking on the street ..

In edmonton, people drive .. somehow ..

I am happy for the Oilers .. however ..

FLAMES' Girls > Oilers' girls ( or call them Oilers' moms ?? )
    Last edited by C4S; 05-02-2006 at 09:54 PM.
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by toyboy88
    your 2 years behind edmonton
    I like your sig btw!!

I feel so special.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

we havent beaten anahiem yet so we all gotta hope and pray they do
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

I am sick of how people make it sound like there were no Flames fans until a few years ago....

The Oilers went through rough times with low sales too.

Now they are going nuts like Calgary did, its no different.

hahaha, swat was out, but just stood around cheering.

nobody was buring flags.

a bit of exageration there.

RED MILE > Edmonton what ever they call it

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I was in BP watching the games, few guys with Flames' jerseys and caps etc .. no problem! not even arguement! we Oilers' fans chatted with those flames' guys too .. no problem!

Actually, when the Flames vs Ducks game started, we were all saying " Go Flames Go! " I didn't see any anger from the Oilers' fans to flames!
    Yeah .. I was the one wearing Oilers' Jersey 2 yrs ago in Red Mile .. and I was cheering for the Flames back then!

I am sure if Flames lose tomorroe ( just IF ) lots of Calgarian will cheer for the Oil too!
    Last edited by C4S; 05-02-2006 at 11:19 PM.
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

haha I heard they were gonna call it the oil slick...
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by C4S
    I was there .. from 8 pm to app. 11:30 ..

Yeah .. lots of people .. actually .. lots of cars .. for 3.5 hr .. could only drive few blocks ..

What I saw .. everything was fine .. didn't see any crazy thing happened

I guess the diff is, Red mile, all the flames' fans are walking on the street ..

In edmonton, people drive .. somehow ..

I am happy for the Oilers .. however ..

FLAMES' Girls > Oilers' girls ( or call them Oilers' moms ?? )
    We use to drive through. Up until about the end of the second round begining of third round. Then it was just too crowded for people.

My Ride
    1996 Mazda MX-3

fuckin copy cats, we all just need to pray that calgary can beat anaheim tonite, game is now 18 hours and 49 mins away... everybody wear ur red get ur flags on the car, and if anyone runs into any flags on the road DO NOT run over them!!!

BeLiEvE!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast