Quantcast
Speeding ticket "tip" - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Speeding ticket "tip"

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Arrow Speeding ticket "tip"

Hey guys, I just realized this on my way up to Airdrie today, as I was approaching a construction zone; you know as a professional driver: I've seen some pretty nutty stuff on the roads. One thing I see most commonly though that should REALLY be of a worry to you guys: is Laser/Radar in construction zones. Looking back; 8/11 of my speeding tickets, they were in construction zones. So I'd just like to give a "warning" to people..... I know its idiotic to do 60 on Deerfoot (for an example), but chances are: if you dont; you'll sooner or later get a caught. The police know most people like to shrug off the idea of doing 50 on Glenmore/Sarcee or 60 on Blackfoot. (as other examples) so they monitor those the most, its also a safety issue for the workers. Any stupid accident on a given road-workers behalf would be amplified many times over if the person was doing 90 rather then the [lowered] speed limit of 50.

I know most people know this, but its just a precautionary note trying to help people from the joys of getting and fighting tickets.

(Its just common sense also)
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    German

Isn't the fine for speeding in a construction zone doubled or something? I think that's why people have been actually going the limit for once in a construction zone.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I always laugh at the people who fly through the 50 zone on glenmore through elbow drive.

I drive that stretch a LOT, and ALWAYS do 50 through there...in the last 2 weks and 9 trips between the hours of 2230h and 0030h, cops were there 8 times, and owned the people who rode my ass and then blew past me.

Personally I dont have any sympathy for people that get tickets in construction zones because they're such easy spots to patrol, especially with the cops latest ghost trucks.

Construction zones, although may seem absolutly rediculous some times, are a haven, and one should KNOW they're cop hot spots. The mere seconds one saves by not slowing down is just not worth the added expense of being pulled over, plus if I actually hit someone, I'd be pretty screwed up over it.
    Travel

My Ride
    V167

Saw people getting totally OWNED by CPS in the construction zone on Mcknight Blvd. yesterday. Cop was standing behind a telephone poll with his laser tripod right next to it.

I always make sure to slow down in construction zones regardless of what time it is. I cannot freaking stand people who rip through them especially when there ARE workers on site.

My Ride
    something green

Yeah sometimes the constructions zone patrols are good, especially during paving season when you have 30 workers standing on the road concentrating on keeping the lines straight..
    But other times it is ridiculous, like near Okotoks where there is an earthmover working in a field, so they knocked the nearby highway down to 50 from a 100 and the county cop is parked there... Thats just a money grab and waste of police resources..

I dont think the general public would really mind slowing for construction, if the zones, even half the time made any sense.. They have these long drawn out zones alot of times with no workers present, and cop sitting halfway through.. Its like the governments at all levels have forgotten the rest of the country has to actually be somewhere and has work to do..
    I also think that with the doubling of the fines, the workers and supervisors should remove or cover the signs when they are not present, and there is no real hazard on the road. For instance, they will slow traffic down for workers putting up a power poles in the ditch, but they will often leave the signs up overnight when they are gone, even though there is no road or worker hazard just because they are to lazy to pick the signs up.. Then you get Bueford T. Justice using it as a speed trap from 4:30 on, ticketing for no hazard..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    MB C63

^

as much as i hate speeding in construction zones....i hate when there is bad signage

i remember when they were repaving 16th avenue last year after all the work was completely done they had signs up a month after that that said construction zone...this was after the grass and posts in the middle where done

there was no construction vehicles nothing just signs now what the hell are you supposed to do?

i dont speed in construction zones but it makes me mad when signs are left up and you have to slow down when there is no need to.

the workers in the city do a great job and sure people forget but when you drive around the area you are working on do you not notice bright orange signs you forgot?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

The thread is not about the fairness of construction zones, it's about the fact that the likelyhood of being a speed trap in one is much much greater.

You can complain till the cows come home that they have poor sinage, that they are unrealistic, thay they are just a money grab (and I tend to agree) but the real fact is that regardless of all that, you STILL need to SLOW DOWN if you want to avoid supporting the things you love to critisize about them. Because I guarantee if you get pulled over in one and explain how much of a money grab this zone is and that there's noone working etc etc etc, the officer wont have much sympathy. I dont.

Again, how much time are you REALLY losing by doing the speed limit for the small distance, versus blowing through the zone at preconstruction speed.

People need lessons on reality and patience.

Dont like the laws, get a posse together and try and change them, but until laws change, this is life.
    Travel

My Ride
    MB C63

just a rant cuz i had to drive through one today
    haha but yes slow down cuz the cops are out for money...and one way or another they are going to get it. Construction zones are prime

and another tip is uphill or downhill they tend to be at the top or bottom cuz people speed up when going up or down hill so drive the limit in those areas as well.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Maxt

I dont think the general public would really mind slowing for construction, if the zones, even half the time made any sense.. They have these long drawn out zones alot of times with no workers present, and cop sitting halfway through..
    Thats just it, who the hell wants to do 60 on deerfoot? when they were constructing the overpasses at 130th ave, and the other at Barlow, to do 60 was ridiculous. I got three tickets there alone over the course of 3 years. I think people just get frusterated.
    IF there are NO workers present, and its safe to do the regular speed limit: then the (construction) imposed speed limits should be removed. When there are workers: I can totally understand that, otherwise its just a piss-off for everybody.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by Ben
    The thread is not about the fairness of construction zones, it's about the fact that the likelyhood of being a speed trap in one is much much greater.

You can complain till the cows come home that they have poor sinage, that they are unrealistic, thay they are just a money grab (and I tend to agree) but the real fact is that regardless of all that, you STILL need to SLOW DOWN if you want to avoid supporting the things you love to critisize about them. Because I guarantee if you get pulled over in one and explain how much of a money grab this zone is and that there's noone working etc etc etc, the officer wont have much sympathy. I dont.

Again, how much time are you REALLY losing by doing the speed limit for the small distance, versus blowing through the zone at preconstruction speed.

People need lessons on reality and patience.

Dont like the laws, get a posse together and try and change them, but until laws change, this is life.
    The people that need a lesson on reality and patience, is more the governmnet that anyone else..
    Alot of time they are preying on human nature, and they know its not going to change.. That is called revenue generation through the use of false safety inititives..
    There is nothing wrong with the laws, they dont need to be changed, the implemation of them and the way they are used then enforced is an entirely different matter..Manipulation of the law, and selective enforcement for taxation purposes, is not law enforcment..
    On a side note:
    I write my elected officials all the time, that probably explains the Flowers by Irene Truck parked 24/7 in front of my house..
    The answers I get back from Government, are nothing but fluff loaded nonsense to just say they did reply rather than own up to the intended purpose of changes and events locally... Funny how that works..
    Last edited by Maxt; 05-13-2006 at 11:57 AM.

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

Speeding ticket "tip"
    um,,,,,,don't speed?

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Thats just it, who the hell wants to do 60 on deerfoot? when they were constructing the overpasses at 130th ave, and the other at Barlow, to do 60 was ridiculous. I got three tickets there alone over the course of 3 years. I think people just get frusterated.
    IF there are NO workers present, and its safe to do the regular speed limit: then the (construction) imposed speed limits should be removed. When there are workers: I can totally understand that, otherwise its just a piss-off for everybody.
    You can thank our litigious society for this. People have crashed in constructions zones and hit equipment parked on the shoulder, etc and have successfully sued because the speed isn't reduced.

We are victims of our own stupidity.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.