Quantcast
U of A residence - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: U of A residence

My Ride
    Jetta

Default U of A residence

HUB or Lister? I hear terrible things about Lister, haha. Maybe they're just wives tales, or maybe they're true?

Anyway, any input from anybody in the know would be appreciated

I'd rather live in Lister.
    Hub would smell like fast food all the time.
    And Jeff has some good stories about hub too.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

I would recommand Lister just because I was there for two years. But its kind of hard to compare it to HUB since they are diff type of Rez

Lister you have to share Kitchen and maybe Bathroom ( schaffer vs the other 3). I lived in both and I much prefer having my own washroom (Schaffer).

HUB you have to cook for youself, but I think Lister is the way to go because you get to really experience university, having dinner with other people, heading down to the gym for some dodgeballs/basketballs or walking to the basement fora quick work out.

Plus nothing like getting a Double-Double at 12am in the Caf during exams without stepping outside ( when its like -40C).

I'm actually in International House right now taking some spring courses, and it's probably the nicest residence i've ever seen. You have your own bathroom, the kitchens are clean, and each floor has washers and dryers.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    maybe your car is trying to tell u to stop ricing it out...u know, in its own little way.
    Originally posted by b_t
    I draw a pentragram on my garage floor, sacrifice a lamb on it, spread the blood everywhere, and park my car there overnight. I tried praying, but it didn't work, so pagan rituals it is.

But then again, thats because I drive a DSM. I personally have found my car very reliable, but thats because I get lamb at a good price.

My Ride
    Jetta

Originally posted by mikey_mo_love
    I'm actually in International House right now taking some spring courses, and it's probably the nicest residence i've ever seen. You have your own bathroom, the kitchens are clean, and each floor has washers and dryers.
    It'd be pretty hard for me to get into there since I'm just first year undergrad student.

What's the noise levels like? I heard Lister's pretty loud and there's a lot of partying?

Depends where you live in lister. Usually the higher floors aren't that loud, the bottom three or four floors are notorious for being the loud ones. But then there's always the wildcards, I was on 10 and it was a super loud floor this year.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

i live on east campus village in the houses and i love it... private, quite (besides the damn sirens) and your own kitchen, washroom and TONS of space when friends come over... during the year i lived with 2 of my good friends and 1 exchnage student who moved out in a couple of months... now in spring i live alone as my 2 roommates moved out and the rooms were taken for summer storage...

if i was u i would put ECV as ur option or even i-house... i thought about hub before i got ecv and now i am so glad it worked out this way... IMHO i think ECV and i-house are the nicest residences at the U of A

if u want the "true" dorm style rez - all the crap (after all u need to study) and even though 4 -5 day weekends sound like a blast pick i-house.... call the office and see what number you are in the waiting list....

My Ride
    a wrx.

HUB sucks. Seriously, there's no reason to live there. Lister sucks too, but it can be fun if it's your first year. I'd also consider ECV and I-Ho like the people above me have mentioned.

Anyway, yeah HUB sucks. It is infested with bed bugs, creepy red spiders, rats stuck in walls, fobs, etc. It's also dirty and smelly.

My Ride
    it has wheels???

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    yeah HUB sucks...It's also dirty and smelly.
    Jeff care to elaborate on the reason of the stench????
    "Could you please turn down your car"- Ben

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

Originally posted by Roaring G60

Jeff care to elaborate on the reason of the stench????
    Multiple reasons. HUB is always hot as hell and it just has a musky smell to it. Plus, all the fast food joints emit their own smell that combines into 1 massive communal smell.

Personally, my advice would be to live in the regular lister residence (Not HUB) for your first year or two, have fun when classes are a breeze and then move out into a regular apartment.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by SteveMo600

Multiple reasons. HUB is always hot as hell and it just has a musky smell to it. Plus, all the fast food joints emit their own smell that combines into 1 massive communal smell.
    Actually, someone hid a 2 month old red snapper in a wall-mount heater.

My Ride
    1990 Accord EXR

I'd reccomend Lister Hall. I lived there 2 years and was an FC/RA one of those years. You'll meet some of your best friends there for sure. As for noise/partying it depends where you are. I lived on 9Kelsey my first year (VERY QUIET) and Main Henday my second year (CRAZY PARTIES), but even with the partying on lower levels it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's still possible to get enough studying in... I made out all right. The good thing about a louder floor is you can study when you want, but any time you want to do something else (hit the pub, head out somewhere) there's always someone that's up for it.

Good luck in Uni.

My Ride
    e39 ///M5 || MK7R

I've lived in Lister and International House. If youre going to choose lister, choose Schaffer Hall,its the new building they just built (3 years old) and you have your own washrooms and its furnished. Theres a small kitchen and 2 lounges on each floor. Just remember you have to buy a meal plan and that really sucks. I hated the meal plan because you pay 2-3 grand and you can only eat crappy lister food which is the same thing everyday and you get sick of it.

If you want to choose HUB, i say choose a bachelor suite thats on the bottom floor of HUB. Some of them are furnished and clean and doesn't smell.. Don't pick the top floors!

International House is nice. Its quiet, theres 2 kitchens, and 2 lounges with tv's on each floor. If you want to cook its a big kitchen, if you want to eat out, you don't have to worry about a stupid meal plan and can go to hub mall, 109th ave is couple blocks away. Even east campus village is a good choice.
    KWVII Coilovers||Carbon Fiber Grille||20% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||RDSport Race Exhaust||Vorsteiner Front Lip||Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II||GP Thunders 8500K||ACS Roof Spoiler||CF Mirror Covers||