Quantcast
MacBook Launched - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: MacBook Launched

My Ride
    2009 STi

Originally posted by kaput
    What do you guys think about the standard macbook vs. a macbook pro? Is it worth the extra $500+?
    I went thru the same thing. The difference between them now is so small that it really isn't worth the big jump in price. The only reason I'd consider the Pro is if you need a screen bigger than 13" (since the Macbook only comes in 13).

My Ride
    2009 STi

Originally posted by AJL

Also does putting the XP on the new Intel Mac's coid the warrenty at all? Ive heard it does
    Nope it shouldn't void your warranty. However, I doubt if you mess it up they'll give you phone support for formatting and reinstalling OSX back on the computer.

Originally posted by tulit

I went thru the same thing. The difference between them now is so small that it really isn't worth the big jump in price. The only reason I'd consider the Pro is if you need a screen bigger than 13" (since the Macbook only comes in 13).
    and if you needed a better gpu on your laptop you would jump up to a Macbook Pro.

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 06:53 PM.

My Ride
    2009 STi

[B I'm especially confused about the airport and how the wireless works. [/B]
    Airport is just standard 802.11B/G wireless stuff. They just call it Airport. It will work with any of the wireless stuff you have your PC already.

My Ride
    I like. :)

Does anyone know of any good mac related websites? Things like an intro to macs and all the wierd accesories and how they work? I'm especially confused about the airport and how the wireless works. A site that shows the mac equivalent of certain programs would be cool too, like email, internet and all that.
    PC's and Windoze has broken your free will and your faith in your ability to have fun using a computer. It's made you scared a bit and uncertain. OS X is stable and easy to use. I just recently setup a wireless router at home. The setup is roughly the same if not easier than with Windows, and that's the only 'tough' part' just gotta follow the lengthy & wordy instructions. After that, you just click on your Airport icon and turn it: On/Off to connect your macbook to the network.

Software for OS X:
    Microsoft Office is on OS X
    Internet - I like Firefox and Safari.
    Email
    Chat - Adium is awesome, it works great with OS X. iChat is good too.

Hardware? That's kind of general question, but it's all out there. Apple's site has everything to get you started and informed I'd say, check out their Hardware section, or google specific pieces of hardware, ie. webcams for os x, external hard drives for os x, etc.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 06:53 PM.

My Ride
    I like. :)

Airport Extreme Base Station is basically a wireless router. If you already have a wi-fi router then you don't need it --- I'm using a DLink router, it works great. What you want to look for is that the Mac laptop you're getting has an Airport card installed (Apple's wi-fi card installed).

Printing is the same, I find it to be easier/faster. For a walk-in store, your best bet is an actually Apple Store. Your second bet is to do a search (even in a phonebook) for "Authorized Apple Resellers" or "Authorized Apple Dealers." Future Shop also sells Mac software.

I've seen minor artifacting only once when playing HalfLife 2 on a 30" Apple Display. I haven't seen artifact on the desktop or in apps. I'm betting it's just a driver issue, which they'll probably update soon. Apple's pretty good with releasing updates and fixes when needed, and they're hassle-free to download & install.

My Ride
    2009 STi

Originally posted by treg50
    For a walk-in store, your best bet is an actually Apple Store. Your second bet is to do a search (even in a phonebook) for "Authorized Apple Resellers" or "Authorized Apple Dealers." Future Shop also sells Mac software.
    [/B]
    The only Apple Store in Canada so far is the one in TO.

Theres lots of places to go. Big chains, BestBuy, Compusmart and London Drugs all sell them. Theres are also some MAC specific stores like MyMacDealer.

If you're a student, best bet is to order online through their educational website. Thats the best price you can get....

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 07:10 PM.

ive had my white macbook for almost a month now and i really like it. i switch from pc so i was at first worried that it would be a hard transition, but everything is very similar to windows and now i cant bring myself to use windows XP anymore (vista looks primising tho).

its very well designed, and i have no complaints. i, too, was worried about the problems that i read about online, but so far i have no experienced any. my wireless works perfectly, it hasnt turned yellow on me, it hasnt been overheating (running at around 30 degrees C).

some of the new features are pretty impressive, like the mag-safe, isight, expose etc. built in bluetooth is also really useful in conjunction with a bluetooth wireless mouse (so no dongle is necessary, and it gets recongnized instantly when u turn on ur mouse). another cool feature is that it can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLG5sh3yLGY pretty easily. most people know this by now, but for those who dont, windows XP works quite well on a macbook (but i never seem to have to use it).

a couple of unexpected things after buying a mac: i needed to purchase microsoft office ($130) mac edition (there are free open source versions but i didnt like them very much). if you use msn, it is very difficult to webcam with other msners (the only thing i found was a program called aMSN and mercury msn...both of which are slow and crappy).

all in all it was a really good purchase. i dont knwo anyone whos switch from pc to mac who prefers pc. also, the black is a waste of money. u can upgrade to 80gb for $50 which means the black paint costs $150 more. it doesnt even look better imo.

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Yeah you could buy microsoft office....*COUGH*BITTORRENT*COUGH*

Dont waste money upgrading 20 gigs more in your HD, when i just bought a 260 gb external HD for 70 bucks! Great deal www.tigerdirect.ca, now i can video edit with worry of running out of space.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4