Quantcast
bank or mortgage broker for a mortgage? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bank or mortgage broker for a mortgage?

Default bank or mortgage broker for a mortgage?

looking to refinance current place and purchase another. Already been in contact with a mortgage broker, so just looking for feedback on experiences, advantages/disadvantages or each, etc.

My Ride
    335i

Advantages of a broker is that they are often more personal, they work very hard to get you approved, and they try several different lenders. I'd say that a broker is best if you have little or no credit as they shop around for the best rate for you. Rates can be higher than a banks, but thats because they shop B-lenders that cater to higher risk customers.

A bank is good if you have great credit because their rates are often the best. You aren't dealing with small B-lenders, which can be a good thing.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

if I did it again, I would have gone with a broker, my situation sucked because I couldn't get a letter from my employer that stated "permanent", even though I was...stupid city...anyhow, I would have gotten my initial approved amount had I gone with a broker, in the end I was screwed down to a much smaller amount of cash....
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    You Crazy

Broker for sure....

My Ride
    YZ250

Brokers usually offer better interest rates then the banks if you have really good credit....
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

The broker is more personal? I would have thought it was the other way around. I've got a good relationship with my bank, but the broker I talked to was quite good. And recommended by Jimmy Hughes, how can you go wrong?

Keeping some personal financial information from the bank is probably a good thing too.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Advantages of a broker is that they are often more personal, they work very hard to get you approved, and they try several different lenders. I'd say that a broker is best if you have little or no credit as they shop around for the best rate for you. Rates can be higher than a banks, but thats because they shop B-lenders that cater to higher risk customers.

A bank is good if you have great credit because their rates are often the best. You aren't dealing with small B-lenders, which can be a good thing.

My Ride
    03' B6

go through a broker....

go check out johninaba.com

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by lint
    The broker is more personal? I would have thought it was the other way around. I've got a good relationship with my bank, but the broker I talked to was quite good. And recommended by Jimmy Hughes, how can you go wrong?

Keeping some personal financial information from the bank is probably a good thing too.

Your experience may vary. I just think that a broker works hard and has several different lending sources to get you approved. The nice touch is that they work with you closely and submit to companies on your behalf. As you noted, having a lender and your bank account in two different places means that there is only so much they can verify if you need to sugar coat your application

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    O.P.P.

I've dealt with both and I'd have to agree with the broker being the better bet. They are WAY more personal and attentive to your needs, and they work for YOU, whereas a bank works with the attitude that they won't go broke if they don't get your business. Keep in mind also that a broker gets paid by the lender, not the homeowner, this also helps to keep them on top of your file(s). If your situation is *special* than definitely go with a broker as they have alot more avenues through which they can get your deal done. If you need a name of a good one (the one I use) PM me and I'll give you his contact info. He just did ours and is also a good friend of mine for 15+ years

I say go with a broker...but then again I am a broker.

Seriously though a good broker will help you all the way through a deal....we have access to ALL the banks and lots of other different types of lenders whereas with the bank thats the only option unless you shop around yourself which is time consuming and a PITA.

Brokers can get you the best rate without you even having to leave your living room

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Broker will get you a better rate than arguing with a bank yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Nissan

Would a bank approve a mortgage for a home that has yet to be built? The lot is currently bare but has already been developed by the city. A few houses have already been built on the block. The home builder expects the key handover to take place in 10 months.

Also if I use a broker to get the mortgage, does the broker get paid through me or the lender?

My Ride
    335i

Brokers are paid by the lender.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Nissan

^ Therefore if I used a broker, would my mortgage rate be the same as if I didn't use a broker, assuming all else equal.

Originally posted by Nizmo_GTR
    ^ Therefore if I used a broker, would my mortgage rate be the same as if I didn't use a broker, assuming all else equal.
    same or better with a broker. Saves you the effort of contacting banks and credit unions yourself. And the biggest advantage I think, your credit is checked once by the mortgage broker, and then shopped around. If you went to each bank/credit union yourself, they would each make a hit to your credit history, and that doesn't look good.

My Ride
    whatever i want

I'm a Mortgage Agent, PM me if you have any questions

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

It sounds like we have a couple mortgage brokers on here, so I've got a long-winded question.
    In about a month's time my (soon to be) wife and I will be shopping around for a house. The problem is we are employed here, but wish to move to Kelowna where of course we couldn't keep our present jobs. Couple that with it being our first house, and I have a monthly car payment, so I think we will need the help of a broker. We would be looking to buy a place somewhere around late august/early september.

Is buying a house at this point a bit too much of a dream? Will we have to rent for a few months until we have established work history in BC first?
    We would be looking at putting 10% down on a ~$150,000 house, and both of us have very high credit scores if that helps at all.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

It might be difficult to get a mortgage right away as lenders will want you to be past any employment probation periods. There are lenders that would likely do it but the rates will be higher.

From a more pragmatic standpoint it may also be better to rent until you're established in case things don't work out; that way you're not tied to anything there...what if... after 6 months you absolutely hate it there?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Well, my G/F is tied there for 4 years, so tough

Ideally we would want to start building equity as soon as possible, which is why I want to minimize the rental period. I am presently renting a place, and I hate that my money is paying down somebody else's mortgage.

Is it simply a matter of being past a probationary period?... That doesn't sound so hard to meet.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    BMW E70

If its any consolation, I am in the real estate business and I have always used a Mortgage Broker for my own personal transactions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast