Quantcast
Skunk 2 throttle body - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Skunk 2 throttle body

My Ride
    BMW E46

Default Skunk 2 throttle body

I just had a brand new skunk 2 throttle body installed on my b16a and it is sticking open quite a bit. I've been told that i just have to brake it in for a couple days and it will close properly but it is a pain in the ass to drive right now. has anyone ever experienced this before? Is there anything else I can do? any advise would help. thanks guys

Could it have a coating from the factory that is gumming up the plate?

My Ride
    BMW E46

Not that I can see, but do you think if I oil up the spring and cable a little bit it would help?

My Ride
    2000 Civic SiR, 1984 Shadow 750

couldn't hurt?

I've replaced the throttle body on my car way too many times. I've never done a brand new one before, but check the throttle plate and make sure that it closes fully. You might be able to adjust the throttle stop with an allan key to make sure it closes properly.

Also try spraying some WD40 or liquid wrench on the throttle spring and work it in by opening and closing the throttle repeatedly.

My Ride
    WRX STI

check your throttle cable right on top of the intake manifold, make sure its not to tight and holding it open, if it is, adjust the to bolts to add more slack allowing the gate to fully close

My Ride
    BMW E46

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    I've replaced the throttle body on my car way too many times. I've never done a brand new one before, but check the throttle plate and make sure that it closes fully. You might be able to adjust the throttle stop with an allan key to make sure it closes properly.

Also try spraying some WD40 or liquid wrench on the throttle spring and work it in by opening and closing the throttle repeatedly.
    I think your right, because it isn't closing properly. If I stomp on the gas and let go really quickly it has enough momentum to close all the way but if I'm pressing the gas lightly and release it slow it stays open a little and keeps the rpm at 3000-5000 rpm, which isn't good. I will try to grease the spring a see if it helps, other than that do I just drive around tapping the gas all day long until its broken in? thanks for all input guys, I need the stress relief. I have been yelling at my car so much I've almost lost my voice!!

Give it some time. I remember for the first little while I had to do the same thing. Give it sudden gas and then let go to let it close tight. But now the problem is gone after driving it for a bit... It should loosen up.

My Ride
    Girls Crazy

when i got mine, it was also sticking a little. there is a small allen screw with a locking nut. You will have to fool around with that a little. Also, because it doesn't come with a gasket, make sure that the one you made is not causing clearance issues. You should check cable tension as well, but chances are that it is the adjuster at the bottom.
    . o 0 (114 Cr3w) 0 o .

~ Ohm3d ~

My Ride
    BMW E46

bump

My Ride
    Girls Crazy

why do you bump, but not give updates?
    . o 0 (114 Cr3w) 0 o .

~ Ohm3d ~

My Ride
    BMW E46

To bring it back onto the new threads list to get more peoples opinions. I'm hoping a B16 owner is going to see this and tell me about there experience with a new throttle body. I haven't found anyone with the same engine and same throttle body though. As for an update, nothing has changed yet, I'm trying all of the suggestions though.

My Ride
    BMW E46

Originally posted by . o 69 o .
    when i got mine, it was also sticking a little. there is a small allen screw with a locking nut. You will have to fool around with that a little. Also, because it doesn't come with a gasket, make sure that the one you made is not causing clearance issues. You should check cable tension as well, but chances are that it is the adjuster at the bottom.
    How long did it take for it to stop sticking? and did you notice it sticks more after the engine heats up? It seems like the copper disk inside the throttle body expands and the aluminum casing doesn't expand at the same rate.

My Ride
    BMW E46

Give it some time. I remember for the first little while I had to do the same thing. Give it sudden gas and then let go to let it close tight. But now the problem is gone after driving it for a bit... It should loosen up.
    Same question to you, how long did you have to put up with it sticking?

A couple tanks of gas or so, but that was with constant fiddling with the throttle stop. That was my second throttle body though - the original throttle body had an opening that didn't match the plate. The plate was a different size from the TB housing so it would always get stuck in a certain position.

My Ride
    BMW E46

A couple tanks of gas or so, but that was with constant fiddling with the throttle stop. That was my second throttle body though - the original throttle body had an opening that didn't match the plate. The plate was a different size from the TB housing so it would always get stuck in a certain position.
    So was your first 1 justa factory defect? And did it always get stuck or would it shut if you tapped the gas? I'm just wondering if I should continue trying to work it in or if I should be bringing this up with the speed shop I bought it from?