Quantcast
EGT discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: EGT discussion

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Default EGT discussion

Sometimes I think egt's are a waste of money unless you have stuff from others to compare it to as a reference, also different install points will ruin those other peoples results. Best setup is is a probe for each runner, that some special brand of egt can monitor that can monitor each one.

also different brand/guages put out different numbers. you might want to do some research to see what guage/probe boosted prelude's use... and location where they tap in the probe too.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Re: Re: Wtb: Egt

Originally posted by Hollywood

Sometimes I think egt's are a waste of money unless you have stuff from others to compare it to as a reference, also different install points will ruin those other peoples results. Best setup is is a probe for each runner, that some special brand of egt can monitor that can monitor each one.
    just get 4 different egt gauges!!!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

JJLuke Guest

Default Re: Re: Wtb: Egt

Sorry I have to disagree with you here... if you tap the runner that you know will give you the highest reading, this will tell you your worst case scenario. You are only as strong as your weakest link, or in this case, runner.

For people who are running boost, this is especially important to detect for detonation.

I think EGT's are probably one of the best things you can spend on a car, and the difference from an A/F meter is worth it.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Wtb: Egt

Originally posted by JJLuke
    Sorry I have to disagree with you here... if you tap the runner that you know will give you the highest reading, this will tell you your worst case scenario. You are only as strong as your weakest link, or in this case, runner.

For people who are running boost, this is especially important to detect for detonation.

I think EGT's are probably one of the best things you can spend on a car, and the difference from an A/F meter is worth it.

So your saying with an a/f guage and an EGT your set to detect detonation???? HAhahahahaha.

EGT's are one of the worst detection sensors for detonation. Other devices are sooo much better at detonation detection devices, like an "on board" wideband O2 guage and knock monitors. Both will be much more effective at detonation. Hey don't foget about your ears too!!

For effective as you can EGT readings this was one of my posts from another thread a while back.

>>Also as a side note some turbo kit down pipes that come setup with a EGT bung, this is not on any cylinder and will read all temps. The problem with EGT's is that there is no real standard, so if one guy installs it in a different location than you the results are umcomparable, meaning if guy #1 says he's running lean at 1500 deg F say at the down pipe, you could be running lean at 1600 deg F in runner 2, just like another guy may be running lean at exactly 1550 deg F in runner 1.

So you need to decide where you want to install it then use other tools to compare EGT readings applicable to your specific setup. EG: take a wideband O2, get on the dyno and look at your A/F's and compare with your EGT guage so lets say your leanest moment is a t 5500 RPM's then look at you egt temp say it says 1625 deg F, and bamo (roughly) there is your danger temp around the 1600 deg F mark.

If you do the runner method then it must be 1" from the header/manifold flange. Some people install them in the dump pipe right after the turbo, just to confuse you some more, but I hope I helped none the less.<<

Also different fuels and additives can chang you EGT readings all together, making it unreferenceable to others readings, as well as different types/brands/probes will have variations in readings too so it's really hard to compare with others thus you will never know when detonation is occuring until you hit the dyno.

Sorry buh_buh that your post has been polluted a bit.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Wtb: Egt

Sorry buh_buh that your post has been polluted a bit.
    Its all good. Problem solved! This is good reading for me anyways.

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Data aquisitions are never a waste - so long as it's consistent.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wtb: Egt

Originally posted by buh_buh
    Its all good. Problem solved! This is good reading for me anyways.
    Ya, sorry anyways.

For the record I did not create this post it was cut and pasted into a new post from another. I was just having a casual conversation with buh_buh, and then it turned into CHAOS!

JJLuke Guest

Hollywood,

We're essentially agreeing on different ideas.

Your idea - EGT cannot be used with absolute value measurements of temperatures and needs a point of reference

My idea - EGT is useful in point of reference when you find your peak temps and can detect anomolies out of the ordinary.

DSMers would use a pocketlogger or similar setup with an SAFC for fuel management in conjunction with the EGT to detect knock. The benefit we have is many years of people hacking into the ECU and getting at the code. We also have the benefit of having the knockbox, DSMlink, etc. etc. etc. Our dataloggers that interpret ECU code read the voltage from the ECU at a HUNDREDTH of a decimal place.

My point is, for cost savings, EGT is your best device not ABSOLUTE VALUE-wise, but reference-point wise, in detecting detonation. If you see the meter shoot out a few hundred degrees, obviously something is wrong, right? EGT is to detect anomalies.

And yes I agree with you on the fact that there is no standard and that you have to measure out on your own what your peak temps are, but it's like saying you buy shoes for your feet not your hands. The purpose of the EGT is to measure exhaust gas temperature, and it would be silly not to measure temperatures outside the best possible area (usually first or second runner on a DSM)

But yeah, back to my analogy, EGT is useful only if you know how to use it, just like shoes. My 0.02

My Ride

Fair enough. But your original post was too vauge and was open for attack.

P.S. Im jelous of the pocket logger! We don't have that for SR's.

JJLuke Guest

In a similar matter, I can say that Air/Fuel Ratio Meters are good for your car too, but then there are widebands as you say and there are those that measure it precisely and others that give you 10 LED's and keep you guessing.

It's a matter of the principle and theory not the actual product that I was arguing.

To have a product that measures gasses at each of the runners would be a great invention if it was economically feasible (and if it exists?)

JJLuke Guest

(leaving myself open)

Hollywood, yeah sorry, I guess that's what happens when you reply in thirty seconds.

Nevertheless, pocketlogger is a great piece of software but if only it interfaced a bit better, ie through USB cable. Should be a standard set throughout all dataloggers today, both Palm OS and PC.

ie. For laptop loggers, few ppl out there today use serial com ports to interface (see my FS thread on my logger cable) and my laptop doesnt even have serial ports.

But even better than pocketlogger is DSMlink (only for 2Gs), that eliminates fuel management altogether. A company that modifies your ECU then gives you software to control it! No need for an S-AFC in this case.

Hey you should check out the site, there is a logger for ODBII if your SR is compliant with that... there is also a compatibility page for the logger. Check it out. www.pocketlogger.com and version 2 is out now. Good coding.

Oh yeah btw there is also some freeware loggers out there too, if you can manage to find a cable to interface your diagnostic port, PM me and i'll send you more info

JJLuke Guest

looked it up myself, sorry to say if ONLY your car was a 96

My Ride
    11 sec weather van

This is handy.... www.lambdaboy.com
    Ford tuning guy...

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.
    Georges Duhamel

joke of the day:
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    There is a replacement for displacement. It's called technology.

JJLuke Guest

$585 to boot!

My Ride
    11 sec weather van

$585 to boot!
    Cheaper than anything else i've seen... Still pricy though.
    Ford tuning guy...

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.
    Georges Duhamel

joke of the day:
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    There is a replacement for displacement. It's called technology.

JJLuke Guest

www.dsmlink.com

$500 and you've got yourself a modified computer and settings at your fingertips

it is a car-specific product though

DANGER TO MANIFOLD. lol 2F2F in 2 months

My Ride

To have a product that measures gasses at each of the runners would be a great invention if it was economically feasible (and if it exists?)
    It exhists, just can't remember who made it.

It exists. Piston aircraft carry them often, either egt's for each cylinder or multiple cylinder head temp sensors. It's rather more important in an aircraft though considering you are setting the mixture yourself and the optimum mixture is changing constantly with alititude and engine speed.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.