Quantcast
Weed Trimmer: Gas or Electric? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Weed Trimmer: Gas or Electric?

My Ride
    335i

Default Weed Trimmer: Gas or Electric?

I know its a weird question, but I need to buy yet another weed trimmer tomorrow

This is the 2nd trimmer i've had to buy in 2 years, both gas trimmers. I bought one and it stopped working after a few months of use, and the second one just died out on me today.

Has anyone ever used a cordless electric trimmer? Are they any good or are they as gutless as they look? I think the cordless one would be WAY more reliable, but I don't want something that can't handle the job.

Whats your thoughts
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

I've owned a cordless electric trimmer before and it was weak. Maybe we had a cheap one but I don't recommend it.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

The cordless electrics are pretty weak. I'd say get a good-quality gas one, such as an Echo.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I really like our wired electric trimmer. We've had it for ten years and it does whatever I could want from it. The cord is a small pain in the ass, but not as big of a bother as gas or the lackluster power of a cordless.

Hate gas trimmers, I couldn't sell it fast enough. Loud, heavy, and they stink. Bought a heavy duty 24v cordless and am totally pleased.

My Ride
    2003 350z

I have stihl fs 38 gas powered,never been used if your still going gas powered. pm me

Not sure what you did to your existing trimmers, those little 2 strokes are almost indestructable. Have you tried changing the plug (they get fouled because of the oil in the gas)?

I have a gas one. Haven't used the battery ones but I would never own a 'corded' one for mobility reasons.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by hedge
    Not sure what you did to your existing trimmers, those little 2 strokes are almost indestructable. Have you tried changing the plug (they get fouled because of the oil in the gas)?
    I think I wasn't running enough oil in them. I usually don't measure it, and play it by eye.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My next one will be electric. The cord isn't such a big deal with a trimmer as it is with a mower.

Electric (with cord) all the way. I just finished doing my lawn with it. Cord hardly gets in the way and super reliable too.

I take it back...my 12 v Black and decker rechargable is crap!! I'm returning it tommorow.
    Last edited by D. Dub; 05-21-2006 at 06:07 PM.

My Ride
    335i

I went out today and picked up an 18v electric trimmer. Charged it up and went out to try it, but it seemed very weak compared to my older gas one. It was quite the disappointment, so I took it back and got a gas trimmer once again

This time, however, I went with a completely different brand than the previous ones I was buying. Started on the first attempt, runs great, and i'm taking extra car to make sure there is plenty of oil in this one before running it.

Other than the inconvenience of mixing gas and oil, its extremely hard to beat the value of a gas trimmer vs. a cordless electric one. The difference in ability can't be compared.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    the ladies crazay!

I usually use scizzors to cut the big pieces, then break the rest up with my fingers. It works well, so I think I'll stick with manual.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    I went out today and picked up an 18v electric trimmer. Charged it up and went out to try it, but it seemed very weak compared to my older gas one. It was quite the disappointment, so I took it back and got a gas trimmer once again

This time, however, I went with a completely different brand than the previous ones I was buying. Started on the first attempt, runs great, and i'm taking extra car to make sure there is plenty of oil in this one before running it.

Other than the inconvenience of mixing gas and oil, its extremely hard to beat the value of a gas trimmer vs. a cordless electric one. The difference in ability can't be compared.
    Can't compare an 18v to gas, should have bought a 24v...you'd never have taken it back. Did the 18v get enough chard time? You said you bought it and used it in the same day? I'm glad you like your purchase, now go kill some weeds!

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

I have a Honda Gas one..its great.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Unless you don't have access to an electrical outlet, the corded trimmers are the way to go. We've had ours for at least 10 years and it's never given us shit.

My Ride
    Subaru(s)

Any serious trimming, go with gas. We had gas on the farm. A stihl lots of power. Just keep one jerry with the proper mix and its easy. Dont mix every time you fill the tiny little tank on the trimmer.
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Originally posted by blue Zed
    I have stihl fs 38 gas powered,never been used if your still going gas powered. pm me
    I have this one as well. Its a great trimmer. Well balanced, not too heavy and great power.