Quantcast
Anyone tried Avocado Restaurant in Deerfoot Meadows? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone tried Avocado Restaurant in Deerfoot Meadows?

Default Anyone tried Avocado Restaurant in Deerfoot Meadows?

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone has eaten at this restaurant and what they thought of it? It is called Avocados and is right beside Fatburger in Deerfoot Meadows by the ikea. Myself and a friend ate at this restaurant tonight. It was not very good at all. The prices were pretty expensive and the menu is tiny. In fact only 4 Items I believe for entrees, as follows:

Burritto.......choose from chicken, steak, pork, vegatarian. $12.50

Chicken Quesadilla $14.00

Drunken Chicken.......a chicken breast marinated with tequila and some other sauce on rice $16.00

8 oz prime rib with peppers, onions, etc. $18.00

That is the entire menu there. In addition there are 2 types of salads around $10 each, 2 types of soups about $6. And then maybe 5 appetizers, nachos, wings, etc for around $12.

That is the entire menu at this joint. And the service is pitiful as well. People who ordered the same things as us after us were getting served their food before us. Never asked if we wanted another drink even though ours were finished half way through the meal. No hot sauce or even salt and pepper were on any tables.

Being big fans of Mexican food we were very dissapointed. I would suggest avoid this place until they expand their menu and start providing better service. This place is rather new, only opened in March so hopefully they may improve in time. Until then I would suggest if you want mexican you go to these places (listed in order by best IMO) :

1)El Sombreros.......located on 17th ave. Service not always the best. But amazing food. If you go just order the daily special. Always excellent and a lot of food for around $15

2)Los Mariachia.(sp)......on macloed trail next to Outlaws. Small place. Authentic Mexican owned, nice ppl. Go during the week and they have $10 specials on common things like chimichangas, enhiladas, burritos, etc.

3)Salt and Pepper......On Macloed Trail kind of near the back alley. They make excellent Mole sauce here (sauce made from chocolate). Plus go here on Tuesday nights for all you can eat tacos (choose from chicken, beef, sausage, vegatarian) for $10, great deal.

Also Santa Fe Grill makes damn good chimichangas, and Cactus Club has good fajitas. Anyone know of any other good Mexican joints in Calgary that I haven't named?

P.S. Didnt named Juans on 8th cause I dont like that place. They do make a mean tortilla soup though. And Damn I miss Chi Chi's, used to love that place as a kid.
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 05-23-2006 at 01:30 AM.

My Ride
    2000 prelude

Default Re: Anyone tried Avocado Restaurant in Deerfoot Meadows?

Pretty much agree with you regarding Avocados. Very small menu and the food itself was not that great. Service was good for us but the restaurant was not that busy when we went. They did say that the menu is a work in progress and is expected to expand. Maybe worth while to try again when they have more on the menu.
    00redLUDE

I just went to this place for the first time on Saturday and I agree 100% with your review. I think the place definitely has potential to expand but since it's just starting out it may seem kind of weak compared to the competition. They seem to want to focus on their Burritos as their flagship dish but it's 12.50 for a Burrito that really is not much different than one at Taco Time. I was expecting it to be massive or at least taste incredible. The service for us was very very crappy, took forever to get a seat (the place wasn't crowded) and to place an order. The one big positive of the place are the sweet potato fries, I don't know many places that serve that and they taste pretty good.

I also miss Chi Chi's badly, I loved that place when I was younger as well.

service was crap and food tasted horrible too...ill never go back, but i agree with the sweet potato fries those were the only thing that tasted ok.

My Ride
    W204

I went to Avocado about a month ago. The food was OK, it wasn't anything fantastic. The menu is the most limited part, I'll agree there. For a place named Avocado, there ain't much avocado on the menu.

Also, the burrito I got was far too cold on the inside (from all the cold crap they stick inside). I had to get them to microwave it cause it tasted like it came right from the fridge. Maybe just a personal preference.

Prices were quite steep as well. They even charged us just for extra salsa!!! Heck, they didn't even have fried ice cream, let alone a dessert menu. No fried ice = not a true mexican joint!!

To be honest, I think I'd be happier eating Fries Supreme at Taco Bell. My wife misses the fried ice cream at Chi Chi's and some chimichanga dish that they had.

BTW, STAY FAR AWAY from Santa Fe Grill (at least the one on McLeod). Last time I was there (maybe a year ago), I ordered the Fajitas. The tortillas had some really awful smell to them, and I asked for them to be sent back. They made another batch, and it had the SAME foul odor, so I just asked for a refund cause at this point, I had completely lossed my appetite and was about to puke from the smell. I even asked the waitress to smell it and she thought it was kinda gross too.

Anyway, the manager absolutely refused to refund anything, instead offering to make me another batch of fajita. I left without leaving a tip and vowed to never return.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I agree, small menu, food was ok, I had the burrito, danni had the quesadilla, which was good.....pricey for what it is.....interesting sweet potato fries though.....but when we saw the menu we almost left because of the selection....
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Avocado is the resturant that is offering $500 dollars bonus if you work there at least three months. after one year of work they will pay a trip for you and another person in mexico..all expenses.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

If that's true it's no wonder the service is so bad, no one is interested in actually providing quality service, they just want to eek out an existance there as long as possible.

My Ride
    RALLI//ART

Good to hear I was going to go there on Friday....but I will cancell.However for good mexican Salt and Pepper in Bowness is the greatest,better than Macleod!

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

good ol' Chi Chi's, havn't heard of that place in a while, wonder what happened to it?

For some reason one of my favorite mexican is Santa Fe, not very authentic IMO but still damn good.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by rony_espana
    good ol' Chi Chi's, havn't heard of that place in a while, wonder what happened to it?

For some reason one of my favorite mexican is Santa Fe, not very authentic IMO but still damn good.
    Agreed there was the one bad comment about santa fe, but I go there quite often and it's alway's been really good. Can't forget julio's barrio either, el sompraro is the best in the city though.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

I went to avocados over the weekend, just out of curiosity. All of the posts are true, service sucked, food sucked, and the coffee sucked. Don't plan on going back anytime soon. And to top all that off they didn't even have a bloody high chair for my son, so I had to eat with him on my lap

Just wanted to add that FFWD Magazine did a review recently on Avocado's. Doesn't sound like the reviewer was too impressed, although he doesn't say too much bad either. Just basically calls it average. Here is the link

http://ffwdweekly.com/Issues/2006/0601/food.htm