Quantcast
FAQ-For Shaw Users. Learn how to take use of your 20mb webspace - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FAQ-For Shaw Users. Learn how to take use of your 20mb webspace

My Ride
    V167

Default For Shaw Users. Learn how to take use of your 20mb webspace

This topic comes up pretty much daily. People on here have a TON of problems uploading/finding space to store pictures, videos, and all sorts of stuff. Most people resort to using free services that end up resizing your images so they look like crap or just give up on hosting your images and never end up sharing them.

So, I am creating this document to instruct people how to take use of the 20mb of space that every Shaw email address is alotted. Take note, for every shaw account you are allowed to have 7 email addresses...so that means that you have a total of 140mb of space to hold your stuff over 7 accounts. Maybe set one of your accounts to hold your images, another for videos, another for sound clips, etc.

Here's how you do it:

1. go to http://manage.shaw.ca and login to your account using the information that you use for your shaw email address. If you have Shaw internet but DON'T have a Shaw e-mail address then go here to create one: https://secure.shaw.ca/email/create/CreateNewStep1.asp

2. Click "Manage Web" on the top menu. Once clicked your webspace will be enabled within 15 minutes time.

3. After 15 minutes your webspace will be usable. Now, to navigate to your webspace your address will be:
    http://members.shaw.ca/yourusername/filename

4. To access your webspace and manage your files use Internet Explorer to login to your account.
    Type this in the address bar: ftp.shaw.ca
    When prompted, type in your email address information (username/password).
    You will now be logged into a screen which lists the files you have uploaded.
    The default file will be listed home.html.
    I would recommend DELETING this file.
    Deleting it allows you to BROWSE your files by going to http://members.shaw.ca/yourusername/
    If you do not delete it then you will get an error page when you go to that address.
    The only reason that I would keep that file is if you have material that you do not want others to see but the downside to this is that you will have to know your filenames to be able to link to them.
    Deleting that home.html file allows you to browse your space (ie: browse the main directory) so that you have all the files that are uploaded in a list just like on your computer. It is a very easy way of managing/accessing/sharing your files.

5. Upload Your Files:
    This is very easy.
    You have that ftp.shaw.ca window open and you are logged in.
    Simply copy and paste the files you want to upload into that window.
    It's that simple.
    Example: You have an image called mycar.jpg on your desktop. Go to your desktop, right click on that image, hit copy. Then switch to that ftp.shaw.ca window and right click-->paste. Bada bing bada boom you're done.
    The address for that file will be http://members.shaw.ca/yourusername/mycar.jpg
    Feel free to now post that picture of your car everywhere.

6. For advanced users: You don't have to use internet explorer to access your webspace via FTP. Feel free to use any FTP client to access it. I use an old skool version of WSFTP but there are tons out there that are available for free. Just check out www.downloads.com or something to find one. You would set the address to ftp.shaw.ca and then type in your username/password as before.

I hope that this guide is helpful for all Shaw users that never knew that they had webspace and/or people who did not know how to use it.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions then please post. I hope that this information will solve alot of the headache that people have when searching for space to store their images.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Thanks for this, when I got Shaw, I couldnt figure for the life of me how to use my webspace...so just ended up using Photobucket thanks a bunch
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2005 Sunfire

Use Shaw Photoshare !!!

Awesome , thanks
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Someone should do a Telus one too.

EK 2.0 is an FTP master.

He was gonna change his name to EK 2.0 HAWTISOFTPHAXOROMGHI2UASL.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

This applies to TELUS subscribers too. You get webspace for free... I dunno how much though.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Someone should do a Telus one too.

EK 2.0 is an FTP master.

He was gonna change his name to EK 2.0 HAWTISOFTPHAXOROMGHI2UASL.

hahahahahahahaa....

Kenny wouldn't let me said it was too many characters...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by Tealc
    Use Shaw Photoshare !!!
    I just checked out Shaw Photoshare and found that it does not really serve the purpose of uploading stuff so that everbody (ie: people on forums, and everybody on the internet) can see them. Shaw Photoshare is more intended for say sending pictures of your birthday party/family vaaction to certain family/friends only.

Excellent post.

I've been using it for years now and surprised how many people don't even know about it. You're paying for it, so might as well take advantage of it!

I can't figure this out as im not a computer guy...i get as far as entering the :

When prompted, type in your email address information (username/password).

i do that but then nothing happens...

can someone set this up i have a shaw account and ill give you a password if it only takes a minute to do...
    it would be much appreciated.
    seadootrip.com

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

OMG I wish I would have found this earlier... so much better!

Thanks so much!

I bow down to you
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Q5 + D675

I cant get the upload file to paste in to the browser! someone help please.
    Is it because Im using Firefox? Im on a mac so no IE. and when I use safari it just opens the site in Firefox.

My Ride
    92 v6 Black MX-3

I'm a Shaw TSR, and I know that by default the webspace feature is not enabled on everyone's email address; any new email addresses won't have webspace unless you specify to a rep that you want it. This can be activated at no charge by calling the Shaw support line: (403) 716-6000 for customer support and (403) 750-6990 for technical support.

KLZE? I think so!

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

I know this is from 2006 but 20mb webspace? was this just for a few html files with no pictures.............

I think it's still a 20mb webspace from shaw haha.

Also your sig has some crazy upload/download speed shizzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: For Shaw Users. Learn how to take use of your 20mb webspace

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    Take note, for every shaw account you are allowed to have 7 email addresses...so that means that you have a total of 140mb of space to hold your stuff over 7 accounts. Maybe set one of your accounts to hold your images, another for videos, another for sound clips, etc.
    140MB Thats about 14 RAW images from my Point and SHoot camera.

GLad most services have moved on!

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

2017 is 2 weeks ago a way is it 20mb or 140 , will costs make them downgrade to 5-10?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by thetransporter
    2017 is 2 weeks ago a way is it 20mb or 140 , will costs make them downgrade to 5-10?
    How many drinks have you had?

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

It's funny this thread got bumped. Shaw just sent out a notice that it was cancelling this service and a few others.

-------------- Email from Shaw - Dec 7/16 -----------------

Starting on March 6, 2017, the following services currently included with your Internet plan are being retired:

Members.shaw.ca
    Webspace
    Photo Share
    Video Mail

We understand that the information and assets stored on your accounts are important to you. You will continue to have access to the contents of your account until March 6, 2018. After this date, your contents will no longer be accessible. However, we encourage you to move your items to other services, such as WordPress, Facebook, Google Photos or YouTube as soon as possible to avoid losing any important photos and/or information.
    --------------------

I guess if you guys are using any of this stuff, it's time to move it.

My Ride
    V167

Well thats BS. I still have my old car pics etc on shaw space. Thanks for posting, will remember to move them all to drop box.

RIP 20mb.

I'll leave this sticked for the next bit then remove it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast