Quantcast
U of A peeps/Edmonton peeps: Question about parking - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: U of A peeps/Edmonton peeps: Question about parking

My Ride
    V167

Default U of A peeps/Edmonton peeps: Question about parking

I am coming to Edmonton tomorrow because my spring class (Chem263) begins on Monday. I'll be in town for 3 weeks for that class (May 29-June 16th).

My class is located at Chemistry East E1-60.

1. Can you guys recommend any parking lots that are reasonably close to that building that are cheap and that I can park at all day? I'll be at sk00l from like 10am-7pm so it needs to be an all day lot or something. I know U of C has lots which are like $3.50 all day and that is pretty reasonable. Are there similar lots at U of A?

2. Where is the best place to study? I have no idea where all the good libraries are. I just took a quick look at the U of A library website and it seems the building called "Cameron Library Study Hall" is open for the longest time (7am-2am). Is that a decent place to study? (ie: quiet, preferably no FOB's that talk loud, no gangsters, etc.). It seems to be the only place that has long hours everyday...and that is something that I need.

I took my wheels off because I am worried about theft, I never ever park outside so I hope all will be ok..I'm kind of worried. Rollin stock 15's now. Is theft a huge issue? I don't have a stereo or anything that would be worth taking. They can't steal the car (immobilizer) but I would hate to see a broken window or something to take a pack of gum.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I'll be checking out the University tomorrow to get an idea of where everything is/parking situation etc but having this information in advance would really help me out.

My Ride
    V167

Well shit...from the looks of it (I checked the parking website of the U of A) the parking system there is totally different and you MUST buy a pass to get any reasonably good deal. Am I right?

Otherwise it's basically $10/day versus like $60 for month pass.

Are there any spots around the University that I can get away parking for free for a couple days? ie: mad hax0r style like they do at SAIT by parking at the mall.

there's nowhere you can park for free, but it is possible to scam the system, I did it all year haha. PM me for info. If you don't want to scam, the best place to park is Faculty Club. They have a flat rate of $2 from like 9-11 and after 2 or something like that. That's the lot right beside (south of) Windsor carpark.
    The closest lot to the chemistry building is going to be the lot along Saskatchewan drive in front of the EAS building (with the mirrored windows).

As far as studying goes, I prefer Cameron on level 3 and up. I don't know about spring, but during the semester level 2 was always loud as hell. A lot of people like medsci, but I hate it. Its too quiet. I feel like people are staring at me if I turn my page too loud.

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

I might be able to hook you up with some parking. I like right across the street from the University, right beside the Campus Earls.

There's parking all around here for reasonable prices. It's a bit of a walk to Chem, but personally I'd be willing ot walk to save like $5 a day.

Also in terms of studying, the absolute best place is the MedSci library. It's dead ass quiet and all the hardcores are there right now. You'll have no problem at all getting shit done there, it's the only place I went through finals.

If you want more info on either just fire me a PM.

My Ride
    Z

I used to study at Cameron as well. During the spring session there is hardly anyone there. As for the issue of theft I really haven't heard of anything besides getting someone getting their fog lights taken. I think it isn't nearly bad as places like U of C or SAIT.

You may be able to get weekly parking at the University Hospital, but I don't know the cost effectiveness of doing that.

Also, check PM.

1) The cheapest rate you will find is $5/day at the multi-level car park is by Earls restaurant. Walk to E1-60 (the common name for your class), is a good 10 minutes walk. It's really not that far.

2) Best place to study is John W. Scott Health Sciences Library (the Med Sci library SteveMo was talking about). It's more like an atrium, and does not feel like a library at all; loads of natural light, large tables. Only downside is that it's located at the hospital, which is quite a far walk from the carpark I recommended, and far from E1-60.

Cameron 2nd floor is not a studying area at all; it's more like a lounge with people screaming/yelling, playing poker, watching movies & listening to music on their laptops. Study only on 1st, 3rd, or 4th floor.
    -1st floor at the back is quiet, has large tables (no cubby tables), loads of natural light, and no fucktards ever go there.
    -3rd & 4th floor are basically all cubby style tables, and everyone glares at you if you cough or move your body. Too cramped for me.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

i would park in the parking lot by ESB. Ill show you that one tomorrow. its close and i think its like 70 bux...

IMO camron sucks ass. I prefer medsci (a bit of a walk) and law (close to my house) rutherford blows, cam blows and a few others aswell... etlc (engeneriing side has some good study areas, lots of natural light and pretty hardcore folks...

anyways good luck and if u need help finding stuff just ask..... see ya tomorrow hommie

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: U of A peeps/Edmonton peeps: Question about parking

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    I am coming to Edmonton tomorrow because my spring class (Chem263) begins on Monday. I'll be in town for 3 weeks for that class (May 29-June 16th).

My class is located at Chemistry East E1-60.

1. Can you guys recommend any parking lots that are reasonably close to that building that are cheap and that I can park at all day? I'll be at sk00l from like 10am-7pm so it needs to be an all day lot or something. I know U of C has lots which are like $3.50 all day and that is pretty reasonable. Are there similar lots at U of A?

2. Where is the best place to study? I have no idea where all the good libraries are. I just took a quick look at the U of A library website and it seems the building called "Cameron Library Study Hall" is open for the longest time (7am-2am). Is that a decent place to study? (ie: quiet, preferably no FOB's that talk loud, no gangsters, etc.). It seems to be the only place that has long hours everyday...and that is something that I need.

I took my wheels off because I am worried about theft, I never ever park outside so I hope all will be ok..I'm kind of worried. Rollin stock 15's now. Is theft a huge issue? I don't have a stereo or anything that would be worth taking. They can't steal the car (immobilizer) but I would hate to see a broken window or something to take a pack of gum.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I'll be checking out the University tomorrow to get an idea of where everything is/parking situation etc but having this information in advance would really help me out.
    1. I hook you up on the parking. MSN me.

2. SUB is open 24 hours and is a great place to study, especially the north area. I also like to study in Cameron 2 if I'm with friends or Cameron 3 if I'm alone. These are the usual Science student haunts. Study Hall is another sciencey study area, and it is open late, but there are too many fobbers there for my taste. Medsci if you're a loser, Rutherford if you feel like a change, and Engineering if you wanna see ugly chicks. Usually the fobs are quiet, but the arabs are ridiculously loud here.

3. Edmonton is bad for car related crime. Make sure you never leave anything in your car (not even clothes, cuz street kids like clothes) and don't park in sketchy places. It probably helps to make your car not quite so shiny too.

My Ride
    V167

Re 3: My car is dirty as shit right now I'm keeping it that way lol. Hella ghetto stylez prevents theft yo. Better hide my gum packs too I guess.

Thx for all the assistance guys. I'm going to get a pass on June 1st if all goes well (some parking dood I talk to...one of the ticket idiots....told me that the lot might be closing...but he looked like a una-bomber so I highly doubt what he is saying).

Back to studying... I'm getting devastated so bad in 263....they run the course as if everyone just took 261 2 weeks ago. Problem for me is not remembering my organic chem shit but learning new shit that I never learned in my first o-chem course. At U of S we never did any IR (infared) shit in the introductory course...apparently you guys did do it at the U of A...it was REALLY nice to find out that I have a f'ing worksheet to do on that IR shit today when I don't even know WTF that shit is. G'damn.

Yeh, the o-chem course at UofA is really packed on with extras that other Universities don't do. If I remember correctly, in the labs, only UofA requires the students to re-crystalize their products.

The Earth & Sciences parking lot might be closing, because they're tearing down Physics & V-Wing.

My Ride
    a wrx.

You need any help with IR spec? I can basically do that shit without the chart hehe...

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You need any help with IR spec? I can basically do that shit without the chart hehe...
    IR is pretty straight forward.. there are a few shapes you SHOULD know... NMR is tough at first but get A HELL OF ALOT easier once u see the pattern...

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

IR is pretty straight forward.. there are a few shapes you SHOULD know... NMR is tough at first but get A HELL OF ALOT easier once u see the pattern...
    lol until you hit chem 36x...then NMR becomes next to impossible.

TRIPLET OF QUADRUPLET OF DOUBLET OF 9-TUPLET....WITH A DOUBLET IN THE MIDDLE BLAMMM NIGGA!!!

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    lol until you hit chem 36x...then NMR becomes next to impossible.

TRIPLET OF QUADRUPLET OF DOUBLET OF 9-TUPLET....WITH A DOUBLET IN THE MIDDLE BLAMMM NIGGA!!!
    haha well ill leave that upper level organic to you jeff! 161/263 was more than enough for me!! hahahahahaha more organic classes =

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Park down in Emily Murphy Park in the river valley and walk up the hill. Puts you right on Saskatchewan drive near the faculty club and the engineering buildings.