Quantcast
New Car Protection Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New Car Protection Question

My Ride
    EvoX, R6

Default New Car Protection Question

I just got a new car and am wondering if I need to wax it and all?
    I am a newbie so I dont know much about what I need to do to protect the paint and the interior leather as well.
    My car is blue btw!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My Ride
    a car

You can clean interior leather with mild soap or 1 part woolite + 6 part water, then condition with your favourite leather conditioner. For over the counter stuff, some recommand Mother leather conditioner. I've never tired it myself.

Other popular leather conditioner brands are Zaino, 4*, lexol.

Do it once every few months to keep your seats in top shape.
    Last edited by KKY; 05-20-2006 at 05:17 PM.

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

ya definitely need the leather lotion for sure so the seats dont crack. and as for waxing you can definitely wax it because it holds in the new car shine..get anything like a wax or paint protection from walmart or canadian tire and go for it...cant do more harm than good!

My Ride
    EvoX, R6

So I got like Meguires GOld Wax and Leather protecting wipes.
    I also got some Turtle brand spray that protects the interior (dash, etc..).
    DOes that sound good enough?

My Ride
    a car

Meguiar's gold class wax should work good. Just make sure you prepare your paint with proper wash/dry and clay before waxing. preparation is almost more important than the wax you use.

I don't know how good that leather wipe is... but a 2-step clean and condition would likely give you better result than most 1 step thing.

If you haven't used that turtle interior spray. return it and get 303 Aerospace Protectant. Way better stuff for vinyl (interior) and rubber (weatherstrip, tires).

My Ride
    EvoX, R6

crap, used it all already

Don't put anything but 303 Aerospace on your interior/vinyl/rubber. Other products are not water based and contain alcohol, petroleum distilates, and silicon. All of those three amplify the UV rays from the sun, attract dust, and as they dry they dry out whatever you put it on contributing to aging and cracking. 303 Aerospace is also the strongest UV protectant you can use, is water based and 100% safe.

For your paint, go and buy a clay bar, and follow the instructions to removing all of the contaminents from your paint. Then apply a good wax or sealent.

When normally washing your car, only touch it with microfiber cloths and dry with a quality waffle-weave towel (should cost you at least $20). NEVER wash with those brushes, even the best ones scratch your car. Or if your lazy get the Mr Clean Auto dry system, and a good microfiber mitt to apply the soap with. If you want to dry your car normally with the waffle weave towel still, take off the nozzle to your hose and run water over the car from top to bottom and most of the water will sheet off and you can dry your whole car no problem with one waffle weave towel.

Mark
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-23-2006 at 10:51 AM.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Where can I buy a clay bar, and will it really make a difference with how the waxing turns out?

My Ride
    a car

you can get clay bar at CT, Part source, Auto value. I got the Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System from Auto value. Comes with a bottle of Quik Detailer for lubrication. you can also use car soap for lubrication.

Claying will help clean up your paint, making it smooth and free of debris. Wax can then go on easier and bond with the paint better. With a smoother surface, light will be able to reflect better, adding shine to your waxed car.

My Ride
    Awesome

Good call, you just reminded me that I need to get some conditioner for the leather in my G35x....

Here's one for you guys- speaking of cracked leather..I've got a bit (its an 04) of cracking going on already...

Is there a way to reduce/fix it without drastic measures? More conditioning, I would imagine would not help...

I'm trying to remember what I used to do when I detailed (its been a number of years now) cars for the summer..I'm thinking we just let it be but I'm hoping I'm mistaken.

thoughts?

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

whats a good place to buy those cloth/towels? they seem over priced at Canadatire?

My Ride
    a car

Originally posted by CappyMcSlappy
    Is there a way to reduce/fix it without drastic measures? More conditioning, I would imagine would not help...
    I'd think a thorough cleaning and conditioning would help reduce the cracking or at least prevent new ones from forming. I really need to clean mine too...

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    whats a good place to buy those cloth/towels? they seem over priced at Canadatire?
    Quality microfiber stuffs aren't cheap, get them online. I'm guilty of buying cheap microfiber cloths from costco though....

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

any recommanded online stores?

My Ride
    a car

eshine.ca and carcaresmart.com. both are good canadian online stores and both carry microfiber products.

I haven't used any of their microfiber stuffs though, so i can't comment on their quality.

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

for the clay bar u guys were talking about earlier, on a brand new car u probly dont need the clay bar...thats used more for used cars that have rough feeling paint. usually when u use a clay bar the paint looks dull even tho its smooth after therefore needing a polish then a wax so if ur car is brand new dont do it cuz it doesnt need that yet. after a while u will wash ur car and if u run your hand over it and it feels rough, then bust out the clay.

Take your hand, put it in a plastic bag, and run it over your clean car - if you can feel any bumps there is contamination. These can even appear from rail dust when your car was shipped over on the train.

Mark