Quantcast
loss of power past 4000 RPM's and overheating when idling???? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: loss of power past 4000 RPM's and overheating when idling????

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

Default loss of power past 4000 RPM's and overheating when idling????

yet another problem with the 240. ....ok...last night i had to make a "quick" trip Olds... get out on the highway and as im speeding up, im watching my RPM's go up to 4000...then i notice my car just lost alot of power, still accelerating, but i can feel it lose power, it does this in every gear. That worried me a little. I get everything i needed to and stop at Tim's for some donuts and an ice cap, theres a 15 car line up at the drive through so i park, leave it on and run in to an emty counter. Come out and my cars overheating. wtf? i left it running for about 10 min. and it over heats? so i turn it off and put the hood up to let more air get in and cool everything down. Temp goes down to where it should be and i start it up again. All is well till about 15-25 min. later it overheats just from idling again. Sit...let it cool...go for a drive and its fine for about 45 min...so i decide to head out on the highway, drive all the way home doing 120km/h and its fine, temp. stays the same all the way home. Anyone know what could be causing this? oh yea, it's an 89 240sx, and i just installed a new o2 sensor if that makes any difference. thanks.

First what are you using for a fan? and more importantly does the fan have a shroud?

the likely things to cause overheating would be a stuck thermostat, bad water pump, poorly bled coolant system and the lack of a proper fan/shroud.

Seeing as you are saying you have a loss of power is there any chance you see any oil in your radiator at all? The power loss kind of sounds like a blown headgasket that or your timing could be off a lot causing the power loss. A bunch of different things it could be.

Also when you say it was overheating did the stock gauge ever reach the H and if it did for how long? the stock gauge is really inaccurate and only has 3 settings those being cold, normal and screwd. The H is actually around the 240-250 farenheit level. when things get to that point it isn't good, it tends to lead to warpage of the head.
    Last edited by thesmackdown; 06-01-2006 at 01:13 PM.

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

lol...i think its time for an engine swap

Not necessarily, it could be something simple. Are you coolant levels normal at all? and is the ecu throwing and codes out?

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

the ECU was throwing a code 33...the o2 sensor...fixed that...and i haven't checked it since...mainly because of a lack of time
    coolent is just above the min. line...so it could use some. Fan has a shroud. I don't think im burning any coolent. The level has stayed the same for quite some time now.

Take the cap of the radiator and see if there is any sign of any oil in it. The only time most of these engines overheat like that is when there is an issue with something. The power loss though would be an indication something is wrong. Can you rev the car normall before 4000 rpm.

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

before 4000 RPM it seems normal and fine. after that it seems liek it lags power. I also hear it sqeek every now and then. very short, fairly quiet but noticable without the music on.

My Ride
    1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

check vacume leaks my 240 had some seriously issues for what a tiny leak it was its a 93

Ya but a vacuum leak sure as hell shouldn't be causing the motor to overheat lol.

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

i smell...an electrical fire kinda smell almost...*sniff sniff*...any idea what THAT could be? i can't smell it on the outside tho...

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

you have a shroud, obvious question i guess, does the fan kick in??? could be a coolant sensor hence no code, if it was that, when the engine heated up the ecu adjusts the fuel level (dont remember which way) and that helps control it, if thats gone it wont do it and cause it to run lean (i think). I know cause mine on my celica melted off!!!! Could be thermostat, but your coolant sensor should still be picking it up
    Cos...

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

melted/blocked cat...fits with the O2 codes too.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students