Quantcast
brake soft after bleeding - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: brake soft after bleeding

Default brake soft after bleeding

I had decided to change my pads and brake fluid but after bleeding the brakes the pedal seems to be very soft. The procedure(as per helms) i ran to bleed the brakes was starting from the front driver-> front passenger-> rear passenger-> rear driver. For each wheel i had my brother pump the brake until it was stiff and then opened the nipple on the caliper and then closed. I ran it in this order each time topping the fluid up after each wheel. After the procedure is done the pedal seems to be stiff, however when i start the car up the pedal becomes soft. If i pump the pedal slow it goes all the way to the back. I have tried this 3 times already and now i'm stumped.

I was changing from OEM to HP Plus pads and Motul fluid.

Thanks

Default Fluid

How is the fluid level? have you checked it to make sure you arent leaking? It sounds like air has entered the system .. this is what I have used before and it works for me.

Manual brake bleeding is the most common method of bleeding brakes; however, you will need to enlist the help of an assistant. With your assistant sitting in the driver's seat, repeat the following six steps a number of times on each brake until you are sure there is no air trapped in the system. Use a narrow block of wood behind the pedal to prevent it from travelling all the way to the floor. Lastly, place a three foot piece of vinyl hose on the end of the bleeder screw to direct old fluid into a plastic container.

1.) Instruct your assistant to pump the brake pedal for thirty seconds
    2.)Instruct your assistant to press and hold the brake pedal firmly
    3.)Open a bleeder screw and let the air and old fluid escape
    4.)Close the bleeder screw
    5.)Instruct your assistant to release the brake pedal
    6.)Wait fifteen seconds

Good luck!

-NATE
    Wherever you go there you are

My Ride
    a wrx.

Ok, I think you need to change a few steps. It's supposed to be bled in this order:

rear right
    rear left
    front right
    front left

(going from furthest from master cylinder to closest) but double check that with another Honda guy in case it's different.

And don't just top up after every wheel, top up whenever the fluid in the master cylinder starts getting low! You don't want to suck air in. And do each wheel until you get a solid stream of brake fluid with no bubbles at all.

BTW HP+ are awesome pads.

My Ride
    2015 Subaru Forester XT 2004 Toyota 4Runner

As GTS Jeff previously stated, you are supposed to start bleeding the lines that are furthest away from the master cylinder ie; Rear Right, Rear Left, Front Right, Front Left respectively. Also the "soft pedal" feel is most likely attributed to the fact that the new pads have yet to apply their braking adhesion to the rotors, and need to be properly broken in.

With my HP Blacks on my Mazda Challenge Car I had a soft pedal and virtually no stopping power until I had properly heat treated the pads and rotors. In your case perhaps some hard braking in a controlled setting would help heat score your pads to the rotors. Hope that helps,

-RedBull

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

Or try left-foot braking for a while to heat up the pads.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info