Quantcast
Cell Phone Etiquette? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cell Phone Etiquette?

My Ride
    broken POS

oh man.. people who don't pay their share... bastards...
    i hate going ot birthday parties and having like 20 people go...
    my bill comes out ot be 43 and i pay 60....
    and people are still short like 60 bucks...

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by Dooms_Bane
    i hate when that happens, happened to me once, we were eating out, then when the bills about to come a couple people just booked it

It would have been rude to use the cell phone to take a call at a fancy restaurant.

Using it for the calculator fuction is fine...ditto for a PDA.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Your friend is a joke.

You should of told her that she didnt use the fork properly! If she wanted to be "fancy smancy" why didnt she pull out the 20 dollar bill like everyone else said?!

Make sure you dont hang out with her anymore because she wants you to be PERFECT in every way!

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

i pull out my calculator when i dont wanna leave a tip, like our waitress sucked ass so i gave exact to the tax change when there was like 8 people there, most of them did the same thats when my phone comes into play

My Ride
    GTI

I don't know about calculating shit, it is a pissoff though. I went to Joey's for a buddies birthday last year, I tipped $15 and still the bill was short.

That's the part that bothers me, I try making it so the server gets a good tip and we ended up without enough cash to even cover the meal because someone cheaped out. Then we had to toss out more cash and I don't really like the idea of paying $40 for a $20 meal, especially when you're there with people you don't know.

Last edited by kaput; 03-22-2019 at 06:24 PM.

My Ride
    BMW E70

I don't mind covering for some people, but for those who routinely short change their portion I can't stand. There is many friends of mine who I would rather not eat with just for that fact, I find that these people habitually short the bill because they know someone with deeper pockets than they do will cover it

I went out with some friends the other night, our bill was $85 split between 4 of us (split fairly evenly if that matters). I threw down a $50 (to cover myself and a friend who had covered my ticket to a show we all went to) and the other party threw in $35. I ended up throwing in the extra $15 and vowed never to dine out with those 2 again!

Why the hell was your friend so embarassed? That's why they put calculator's in cell phones... So it looks like you're texting or playing with your phone... So you don't have to bring a calculator to the restaurant.

You're friend is just a little anal... and you should tell them that if this is something to ruin a friendship then they need to grow up... Friends don't fight over stupid shit like this

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Originally posted by Dooms_Bane
    This is my worst pet peeve!!!! 18 Birthdays are infamous for this!!!! Heres what i do.... drop down my money, and A NICE TIP, leave about 5-10 minutes earlier, let everyone else sort it out. People seem to think that drinks materalize out of thin air, and that a beer costs 5.25 exaclty.

I hate my friends. I have constantly been the one dropping that extra 20, so i refuse to go out with a majority of them unless i leave early, or get my own bill. It sucks, but it works!

Sometimes i even bring the ti-83 along just to show them .... lol

Originally posted by max_boost
    Other tactics like 'give me the cash and I'll charge it all' pisses me off too.
    What's wrong with this?
    I love charging hundreds on my credit card especially when it's a large table. I just collect the cash and put in my fair share on the CC while still collecting all my points.
    I also charge everything on my CC and will need to charge on my CC anyways.

------------

Back to the original issue, so long as you weren't pulling out the calculator to nickle and dime everything I don't see the issue.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

If the crowd is large and Im not personally friends with at least half of them, I use my cell phone calculator to figure out exactly what I owe, plus tip, and leave the rest for the cheapskates to figure out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

What's wrong with this?
    I love charging hundreds on my credit card especially when it's a large table. I just collect the cash and put in my fair share on the CC while still collecting all my points.
    I also charge everything on my CC and will need to charge on my CC anyways.
    I've known people to do that and short the bill. Say the bill for 5 people comes to $82 and everyone tosses in a $20. Then the fifth guy scoops the cash and puts $90 on his credit card.

Even worse. There was a manager I worked with that was caught expensing meals with employees that the employees paid for themselves. He was fired pretty quickly.

Originally posted by sputnik

I've known people to do that and short the bill. Say the bill for 5 people comes to $82 and everyone tosses in a $20. Then the fifth guy scoops the cash and puts $90 on his credit card.

Even worse. There was a manager I worked with that was caught expensing meals with employees that the employees paid for themselves. He was fired pretty quickly.
    Ahh, I just talked to Sam and he just explained this to me. I guess I didn't really think of it that way since that's not what I do and I had thought it was some etiquette issue or something.

Actually, come to think of it, I've been the one who is ripped off by charging everything on my CC, people are short cash, and I have to make up the difference plus tip.

My Ride
    IS250

If thats what it comes down to then I say using your cellphone to calculate it is fine.

It was my girlfriends birthday and a bunch of us went to Metropolitan Grill. They added that 15% gratuity because we had more than 8 people and everything and thats cool. And I ended up paying for almost half of that gratuity and let the rest of the 10 people or so pay for the rest of it. And yet we were still short!

I hate it and find it very annoying when people are consistently shortchanging their part of the bill because they think that by being in this group of people, that no one will care or take notice that they havent even covered their share. Or that they have, and they just dont tip. Or that people seem to forget that gst comes on the food.

I just pay my portion, plus a decent tip and just leave it for everyone else to figure out if theres a problem with the bill!

My Ride
    POS

To reiterate what everyone pretty much said. I don't think you did anything wrong. For some of my friends I will dish out if they are short and vice versa and at the end it will all even out. BUUTTT there are certain people who I will not pay a penny more because they are free loaders and will never treat you back.

I personally just use round figures at restaurants and wouldn't pull out the calculator, but my vote is for you, and you should of left her to wash the dishes to make up her part.

My Ride
    2006 Honda Civic LX

you needed a calculator to figure out you were $20 bucks short??

My Ride
    Memories...

Originally posted by snade831
    you needed a calculator to figure out you were $20 bucks short??
    Just throw down the 20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2