Quantcast
Mazda 3 or Toyora Corolla CE? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 or Toyora Corolla CE?

Default Mazda 3 or Toyora Corolla CE?

Hi guys,

Sorry, basically I have no knowledge in cars and stuff like that. If my question is very basic, please excuse me!

Well, I want to buy a car, but I don't know exactly what to buy. I am thinking, Mazda 3 or Toyota corolla.
    Though, when I compare them both, I think Mazda is a better car in terms of features and stuff like that.
    For example, Corolla CE does not have ABS or even air bags.

Sedan LE has air bags but not ABS. And the price is $24,945 (canadian dollars) and CE special edition II is $19,900 canadian.

Mazda 3 GT has front seat air bags, ABS, cruise control and ... and is only $21,545.

Though, on Mazda website, it says:

Fuel economy in city for mazda: 9.2 L/100 km
    Fuel economy in city for toyota: 7.8 L/100 km

Fuel economy in hwy for mazda: 6.7 L/100 km
    Fuel economy in hwy for toyota: 5.6 L/100 km

I don't know how these fuel economy could be important, but fuel is extreamly expensive here.

Now, the question is, which one should I pick? Toyota? or Mazda?

I want to know a comparisson in terms of cost and safety and what people would normally pick?

Thanks

Ali

My Ride
    BMW 525iA.... 91

i like the mazda 3... has the look

Originally posted by M_K_3
    i like the mazda 3... has the look
    Yeah, I agree! But what about safety, price and fuel economy?

Thanks

Ali

I have a 2005 mazda3 gt(gfx) and it's a great car! it has the look and has more extra features than the corolla eg.rain sensing wipers etc.... ,but I am going to admit, since my 3 is a 2.3L 5spd it is NOT the greatest in gas mileage but for bang for bucks and features it's BEST BUY!

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

my vote goes to Mazda 3. I think it looks better inside and out with better perfomance. Althought Gas mileage is important I dont think it should be a priority, not like you are comparing a econ sedan vs a SUV anyway. What about the new Civic??

My Ride
    1996 Mazda MX-3

my vote goes to mazda3, looks better to me, safe, reliable, fun car overall. and IMHO you cant beat the mazda3 interior styling, i think it has the nicest interior of all its competitors....

good luck man!!!

My Ride
    2000 323i

I find the 3 to be a much more fun car to drive. And yes, the difference in fuel economy is there, it's not that huge a difference. As it was said, you're not comparing a smart to an SUV. The difference won't be that much when everything is said and done.
    Mike

My Ride
    335i

My vote goes to Toyota. Superior reliability, build quality, resale value, and economy to the Mazda 3.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    SlowBalt

My vote is for the mazda 3.

My Ride
    X3

I am driving the Mazda 3 GT, and it's fantastic! Safety is all good: you have side airbags all around as well as your typical passenger side air bag.

As for fuel economy... it depends on how you drive it (e.g. do you have a heavy foot when you see the green light, do you stop and go often, etc.). I think the Mazda is pretty good for me. I mean, it's not like you're comparing it to a Hummer or something (which eats up gas like mad).

Is that all you want to compare?

About the Corolla... how can any new car not have any airbags at all?!

Thanks guys

Sharpie, why do you vote for Mazda?

My Ride
    BMW 525iA.... 91

with gas that thing is very good, as for it being safe im sure its really really safe. and for the price its a good deal

My Ride
    I like. :)

The Corolla looks pretty ugly. The Mazda looks pretty good.

It's well known that Toyota has superior build quality, and in turn better resale value, durability and reliability, etc.

I'd even consider the Yaris models before the Corolla.

Originally posted by TC2002
    I am driving the Mazda 3 GT, and it's fantastic! Safety is all good: you have side airbags all around as well as your typical passenger side air bag.

As for fuel economy... it depends on how you drive it (e.g. do you have a heavy foot when you see the green light, do you stop and go often, etc.). I think the Mazda is pretty good for me. I mean, it's not like you're comparing it to a Hummer or something (which eats up gas like mad).

Is that all you want to compare?

About the Corolla... how can any new car not have any airbags at all?!

Yeah, I know! That was wierd for me too! Air bag should be a standard option for every car!

I live in vancouver and it's pretty crowded. So, I guess, I will have to stop and go very often. So, in this case, you think Toyota might be better in terms of fuel economy?

Thanks

Ali

My Ride
    FA5

The 3 gets my vote, overall the corolla feels more boring and mundane, basically your regular family hauler. The 3 has more spunk to it and definitely looks much better (i got more love for the hatch version)

In terms of fuel economy the corolla will definitely win but if ur not too trigger happy with your throttle all the time you shouldn't see the difference all that much. There hasnt been bad ratings for the 3 has there? I dont know too much about that aspect between these two cars.

Like you said, just to get so many of those 'standard' components like ABS and airbags here and there, maybe a sunroof, you're gonna have to fork over more money and for that difference, how long is it going to take to save enough gas to make up for that?

Mazda 3 i would vote for as well

Originally posted by alirezan1
    snip..................
    For example, Corolla CE does not have ABS or even air bags.

Sedan LE has air bags but not ABS. And the price is $24,945 (canadian dollars) and CE special edition II is $19,900 canadian.
    .........snip
    Since the 9th gen introduction of the Corolla in 2002, all trim levels including the CE came with dual stage, driver and passenger side airbags (http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...102035e%2ehtml ). Where did you get your information from?

At the end of the day, you really have to take these cars for a testdrive and figure out which is best for you, do you need great fuel economy or a bit more zip in the motor for an instance. I find that the required Corolla maintence is pretty lax (8,000km oil changes, 192,000 kms for 1st sparkplug change, no timing belt, extended life coolant to name a few).

Another thing you should do is look at the Mazda and Toyota used lots and see how these cars have held up over the years. Even though I love the Mazda 3's black interior, they seem to show dust and every mark and never look quite clean.

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

At the end of the day, you really have to take these cars for a testdrive and figure out which is best for you
    And don't forget to do the everyday things on the test drive like backing up, parking, crawling in rush hour traffic, using the climate control, loading up the trunk, etc. Drive it at night to see how well you can read the instruments, and how the lights illuminate the road.

A test drive isn't all about how it accelerates, handles and corners. These are equally important.

Definitely go for a test drive, I have driven both vehicles and although i'm a toyota fan since i've owned a few of their cars, i like how the Mazda 3 drove. Have you considered other cars as well? Check out the cobalt, new civic, the yaris. But no matter what you do, test drive is a must.

My Ride
    X3

Originally posted by alirezan1

Yeah, I know! That was wierd for me too! Air bag should be a standard option for every car!

I live in vancouver and it's pretty crowded. So, I guess, I will have to stop and go very often. So, in this case, you think Toyota might be better in terms of fuel economy?

Thanks

Ali

Hey Ali, I don't necessarily think it would make that big of difference with the numbers you gave on your original post. There is always a number to compare, but at the end of the day, it depends on how and when you drive. Those numbers are posted, but were probably done in a different situation that you will find yourself in everyday anyway. No matter what you pick up, if you're stuck in Vancouver traffic in rush hour (Ugh!)... fuel is wasted anyway, and you're not going anywhere. You're better off walking.

I agree with everyone who has said to take it on a test drive. Feel it out in all aspects, not just fuel economy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast