Quantcast
Important! Fighting Tickets - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Important! Fighting Tickets

My Ride
    BMW E70

Thumbs up Important! Fighting Tickets

Long story short- Due to an accident I was charged with "Driving with undue care and attention" Which is a mandatory court appearance. My neighbour is a crown prosecutor and she called a friend of hers in the traffic section and I guess once your file is down at the traffic court building you can go and dispute it.

I went down today and waited in line (30mins) to meet with the duty prosecutor (an ex-cop). I explained my story and asked if he would consider allowing me to plead guilty to the lesser fine of following too close. He one-upped me and gave me R.O.following too close (registered owner) which is the same fine with no demerits.

This is the same thing that Pointts does, infact, Charlie from pointts was down there with some cases at the same time I was. All you have to do is point out a valid point or two and they are pleased to lighten the docket for court hearings. Its a win-win. They get the money and a lighter court docket and we get to save some cash along the way.

I would urge anyone who is considering hiring someone for ticket defense to try it on their own first, I saved myself $375 by giving it an hour of my time. You don't need to know any loop holes in the law, its more of a plea bargain. Everyone who was infront of me today got off easier ( I was eavesdropping so I would know what to say). And if possible, always try for R.O. because you are charged as the registered owner, instead of the driver so the fine doesn't carry any demerits.

I figured if it didn't work, I could always hire someone to defend me, but with the prospect of saving myself $375 I thought it was worth it and would definately do it again. You make your statement in a small private office, not in open court. There is no spectators, or cops or anything. Just you and the duty prosecutor. And he is pretty fair. What I did today, is the same thing Charlie and Pointts would do, except it'd cost more.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

You have 2 a's in your sig...

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Celica GT

I did the same thing with my stunting ticket... it was $138 with 3 demerits... I showed some skin (Just Kidding) and knocked it down to $69 no demerits.

hmm skin.. did you do the squeeze like the Girl from impression does when she tries to close the sale ? [and make her boobs look bigger then they are]?

My Ride
    BMW E70

Yep, mine was $69, no demerits I can't complain. Fighting it is totally worth it!

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Celica GT

Originally posted by silvercivicsir
    hmm skin.. did you do the squeeze like the Girl from impression does when she tries to close the sale ? [and make her boobs look bigger then they are]?

HELL YEAH!

My Ride
    335i

Its always a good idea to try and beg the prosecuter to chill before you hire points. Points does the exact same thing except they are always effective in doing so.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Totally agreed with you here. What's the worse that they can do? The very worse they could possibly do is make you pay the full fine, which you'd have to do if you didn't try anyways.

Attemping to go for an RO doesn't always work though. As far as I know, it depends on your record as well as the magnitude of your charge. You're probably more likely to make diamonds by squeezing coal in your ass than getting an RO for driving 200 in a school zone after having your license suspended several times. I think as long as your charge isn't too bad and you've had a relatively clean record you're okay. I got caught speeding 25+ and the prosecutor wouldn't give me an RO because he said I was going too fast.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I got caught speeding 25+ and the prosecutor wouldn't give me an RO because he said I was going too fast.
    And that's why I go to Poiints exclusively. My tickets are usually severe enough that arguing with the prosecutor is useless, and a waste of my time. Poiints fixed my 40 over ticket to a faulty speedometer ticket.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by rage2

And that's why I go to Poiints exclusively. My tickets are usually severe enough that arguing with the prosecutor is useless, and a waste of my time. Poiints fixed my 40 over ticket to a faulty speedometer ticket.
    Hahaha! Holy shit!! One time I got caught speeding 20+ and my instrument cluster actually was messed up (the lights were out and I got caught at night). When I mentioned that to the cop, he threated to give me another ticket Fortunately he was a pretty nice guy and just smiled and let it go.

So I guess the general consensus is if it's something minor, talk to the prosecutor, if it's something major, give Pointts a call, huh?
    Last edited by D'z Nutz; 07-12-2002 at 04:37 PM.

My Ride
    BMW E70

I've got 9 demerits on my license from 3 tickets, and he still gave me RO. Even if he didn't allow me to plead guilty to following too close I was told I could still hire someone (Pointts) to represent me on me appearance date. I'm not trashing pointts, I was going to hire them but thought I'd try it myself first.

I got my undue care and attention down to a invalid lane change, heh.

My Ride
    01 330i

Originally posted by rage2

I got nailed for going 40 over... I just went to the prosecutor pleaded my case and they dropped it from $174 to $110 and 3 points to 2 points... worked for me. But it sounds like Poiints can get you off the hook hey... does Poiints cost anything??

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by RCBVtec
    does Poiints cost anything??
    Yes, quite a bit =).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Lexus LS400

Its definetly worth going down there. I got fined for going 140km/h on deerfoot($210), and failure in to produce registration ($69). (It was in my glove box but I really couldn't find it). Anyway I wore a nice shirt drove down there went in. The hole process took about 45 minutes. I went from $280 dollars worth of fines and 6 demerits. They dropped the registration violation completely, and they dropped my speeding ticket from 40 over to 15 over. I ended up only paying $75 and got two demerits. My buddy who also got pulled over for the same thing, but got an illegal lane change ticket instead of my registration went through points, paid the 280 and got off with no demerits. I dunno about how insurance really works but I doubt they will really care that I have gotten one speeding ticket in 3 years of driving. Thank god multinovas dont count. I recieved 4 in one week all from a certain spot on deerfoot. THAT chapped my ass.

holy crap its 210 for going at 140??? damint i've been going 140-150 down deerfoot.. doesnt it matter if you are in the far right or the far left lane ( isnt the far right one is for faster moving traffic so in theory you can go faster than speed limit? )

My Ride
    01 330i

Originally posted by Dyinghere
    holy crap its 210 for going at 140??? damint i've been going 140-150 down deerfoot.. doesnt it matter if you are in the far right or the far left lane ( isnt the far right one is for faster moving traffic so in theory you can go faster than speed limit? )
    Actually the left lane is for faster moving traffic, haven't you ever seen the signs that say "slower traffic keep right"??... and yeah you can go faster than the speed limit but be prepared for a ticket

I got nailed for going 120 in an 80... and mine was $174 hmmm wonder why yours was $210, higher speed maybe?

ops i got the left and right messed up, yeh thats what i mean... hmm . i better slow down from now on.. really cant afford a $210 ticket.

My Ride
    89 CRX ZC

I've gotz to go to court on aug 2 for: loud unecassary noise from motor vehicle (stereo) and failure to signal lane change. 70 duckets each.

some bitch cut me off so i quickly changed lanes. that is why i didn't signal. and for the loud noise??? beats me...

My Ride
    FA1

How about a ticket for failing to signal? How many demerit points is that if at all?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast